Wage Negotiation - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wage Negotiation

Re: Wage Negotiation

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    I would always negotiate pay at the end of the interview. I spend the whole interview giving them a reason to hire me, and usually by the time we get to the end/bit about pay, they'll want me enough to not mind discussing it. I'm a bit lucky 'cause I've always interviewed well, but I'd suggest the same strategy for you. I'm not sure what you come off across in person, but I ALWAYS go in to discuss wages - I never do it over the phone 'cause you can't read social cues for what to say/how to say things to the employer.

I usually soften the blow by asking if I can ask a question without hurting my interview and I purposefully say it shyly even though I know what my budging point is/what I want.

Imo, if they don't give you what you think is reasonable...I'd keep looking. If you're good at what you do and you employer can't see you as that asset from the start, then find someone who will. Seeming desperate lowers your value to the company & I would never take a pay cut unless that's what it took to get my foot in the door and I could reasonably expect to move up.

Good luck
    You are still in school right?

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    He's got it. Once they learn your value as an employee they will go that extra mile to keep you even if it is an increase. I've had to do the same with employees that are worth it. Be sure they know that you can easily get another job easily.
    Most companies I have worked at have defined pay bands, and is somewhat limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    couple things, and yes I hire people. Unless you know these people and have been recruited, until they put an offer in front of you, you dont have an offer, you have a fishing expedition.
    They are thinking what gets him in the boat, your thinking what makes me want to bite.
    Not to be mean but you may not be the only fish they are trolling.
    ?
    +1. If its not in writing you don't have anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    It's going to be a supervisory position and from my logic, it should be more than what they are offering.

I've tried calling back the Manager to negotiate, but he always seems to never return calls or email. I guess I'll have to let him call me back.

I'm a bit nervous for this
    A bit of advice, take it for what its worth.
    Contrary to many people's belief, a company does not want to force you to settle for less. If they do, (and they know this) it will lead to you leaving for more pay, (all it takes is a simple call from another recruiter) their $/time invested in you will be lost. On the other hand, if you are asking for higher pay without justification, you will be looked at as a flight-risk right off the bat and risk not getting the job.

I would do some research online on what similar positions are paying at other companies. Break down the sizes of the companies into:
    A) Small (1-25 employees)
    B) Med (25-100)
    C) Large (100+)

Figure out where your company falls in that range and how much you can reasonably command elsewhere. Always remember, your employer's ideal​ scenario is to pay you $1 more than the next company will. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    The offer had better be for more than what you're earning now, preferably by a lot, unless you have some other reason to get out of where you are now.

The only time I haven't had an increase of at least 25% by changing jobs was when I made a conscious decision to get out of a line of work that was leading nowhere, and I figured I'd be better off learning something in a different field. That one involved a pay cut. Every other time has involved an increase of 25 - 50% ...
    +1
    Great advice. You are leaving behind quite a history to start fresh. Better be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    How happy are you with your current job? Rather, how disappointed would you be if you had to stick with your present job for another year? This can help determine how ballsy you want to be with asking for what you want. You have nothing to lose so go for it. As long as your counter offer is within reason they will likely just negotiate you down at worst case. On the other hand they could give you exactly what you ask for (it's happened). Point is you don't know unless you try and it's easier to try if you're currently employed.
    Good advice.

I really hate my present job. There is no growth, they lied to me in my interview and they do not respect their employees. The try to milk their employees for what they're worth. Plus I really hate my present supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    The offer had better be for more than what you're earning now, preferably by a lot, unless you have some other reason to get out of where you are now.

The only time I haven't had an increase of at least 25% by changing jobs was when I made a conscious decision to get out of a line of work that was leading nowhere, and I figured I'd be better off learning something in a different field. That one involved a pay cut. Every other time has involved an increase of 25 - 50% ...
    It's more than what I have now, plus there are more benefits and promise of growth. It's a larger company too.

Plus it's going to put me back in the supervisory role

On a second note, I was contacted by the Regional Manager again. We are going to talk tonight. Hope things go well
    Resident Loudmouth

damn, where's the popcorn emoticon when u need one?

keep us updated.

BTW my primary reason for leaving the other place was the disrespect and overall poisoned work enviroment my previous manager has created. I wanted to leave, i just didnt tell them that...i went into the interview with the ...."ya i'm happy, but lets see what else is out there" mentality. When it came time to discuss salary i threw out a higher amount thinking they will work their way down to something we would both agree...when they agreed to my asking i was pleasantly surprised.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

My only advice is don't short change yourself. If you believe you are the right fit for the job and that they genuinely want to hire you, shoot for what you really want. as long as you know you are within realistic parameters.

Negotiate but do not be too nice with this kind of negotiation because it is very much a case of "don't ask, don't get".... I've seen a lot of "nice guys" get taken advantage of and work for a lot less than what they should be working for because they feel uncomfortable asking for more. On the flipside there are many very assertive, aggressive a-holes that are very well compensated because they believe their own hype and are demanding.

If you don't know what you are worth, how will anyone else?

You are the only advocate for you, if you can't articulate what you are worth and why you are worth it, then maybe that raise isn't deserved.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    If you don't know what you are worth, how will anyone else?

You are the only advocate for you, if you can't articulate what you are worth and why you are worth it, then maybe that raise isn't deserved.
    qft.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    You are still in school right?
    nope

Resent grad?

So I just spoke to the Manager and apparently he was not clear. He said The wage discussed was for a certified tech. It's a multi-step process to become a supervisor and they will train and evaluate me to get there.

But during the conversation, I got to understand one thing... they do want me on their team.

Thanks for the input for those who gave advice!
    Resident Loudmouth

You didn't know what job you were discussing? Did you even have an interview?

Resent grad?
    Nope...but my advice was based on my experience as a manager in the marketing industry (if it's relevance/credibility that you were curious about)

Must of Thought you were someone else. My apologies.

It depends on the job.

Sales jobs would purposely offer you less because you are expected to try and increase the salary as you are selling yourself. If you can't sell yourself, you can't sell their products. For a customer service job it's a little more difficult.

I would simply ask if the salary is negotiable.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    But during the conversation, I got to understand one thing... they do want me on their team.
    So ask for 20% more than you make with the attitude that you like where you work but you want to earn more and have a better path of progression.

If you are being scouted then you have a pretty good shot at that or better but since I don't know anything about your job it could be 30% or maybe more.

Can you possibly find someone who does what they are looking for you to do and see where they are at?

Knowing everything inside and out about a potential employer/company used to be the norm.

Must of Thought you were someone else. My apologies.
    No worries...I think I remember the conversation/thread from a while back - you're probably not getting it mixed up. I haven't graduated, but I'm not sure if I'm going back next year.