Red Light Camera Ticket

Thread: Red Light Camera Ticket

Red Light Camera Ticket

Hey everyone,

Hypothetical question over here.

If someone were to run a red light, and see the cameras flashing to take a picture, and then receive in the mail a ticket, would this affect the persons insurance?

I have read similar posts and it was said that because the police cannot prove who was driving the vehicle at the time of the incident, that it does not amount in the usual 3 demerit points, or minor conviction on your drivers abstract. In short the person would only have to pay a fine, that's it. Would I be correct on this or is it drivel?

Lastly, how long does it take normally to receive one of these tickets in the mail from the date of the infraction?

Appreciate it everyone
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Re: Red Light Camera Ticket

Q What is the penalty for running a red light based on evidence obtained by a camera system?
    A As of January 1, 2010 the set fine for running a red light detected by a camera system was increased to $260., plus a $60. victim surcharge and a $5. court cost. The total payable is now $325. Prior to this increase, the set fine was $155., plus a $35. victim surcharge, for a total payable of $180. Demerit points are not issued with violations detected by the red light camera system.

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation...ameras/faq.htm
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

re: insurance

Q: As parking and red-light camera tickets only identify the vehicle, rather than the driver, will the owner's insurance be affected by a conviction for these offences?A: James Geuzebroek, spokesperson for the Insurance Bureau of Canada, replies:Because these convictions are not charged to a specific driver's licence, they will not appear on your driving record and will not affect your insurance rating or acceptability.

http://www.wheels.ca/Auto%20Know/article/781995

Awesome and Awesome.

Appreciate it. My googling skills suck, what can I say...

if money is a problem, request trial (not-guilty) and explain your situation to the crown/JP at trial and have the fine reduced and request for up-to 90-days to pay

depending on how you express your financial woes, you might even get the "no fine"

while i was at Old City Hall in court, a man was called up and said he was unemployed with three kids; JP rules, "no fine"

A trial mostly works with red light cam tickets. I had two so far, one was cancelled and other was reduced to 50% which I paid in 6 months.

Hypothetically speaking,

Those crossing signals usually count down, go to solid orange hand, then light changes simultaneously.
    What if this signal went to the solid hand, then stayed on that for a long long while (5-10 sec). What if the person driving slowed down, but since it was still green, decided to speed back up (b/c they didn't want to stop on a green light...), got to the point of no return as it was yellow, then turned red while still in the middle of the intersection.

I know the driver would still be in the wrong, and I know that running reds (and yellows for that matter) is dangerous and illegal practice, but under the circumstances I feel the person didn't commit the worst infraction under the circumstances.

Should the driver have come to a full stop on a green light? Just because they were anticipating the light to change?

Bottom line though, obey traffic laws!

Quote Originally Posted by wearelopey View Post
    Hypothetically speaking,

Those crossing signals usually count down, go to solid orange hand, then light changes simultaneously.
    What if this signal went to the solid hand, then stayed on that for a long long while (5-10 sec). What if the person driving slowed down, but since it was still green, decided to speed back up (b/c they didn't want to stop on a green light...), got to the point of no return as it was yellow, then turned red while still in the middle of the intersection.

I know the driver would still be in the wrong, and I know that running reds (and yellows for that matter) is dangerous and illegal practice, but under the circumstances I feel the person didn't commit the worst infraction under the circumstances.

Should the driver have come to a full stop on a green light? Just because they were anticipating the light to change?

Bottom line though, obey traffic laws!
    Ignore the pedestrian signals. They aren't for drivers. There are many locations, particularly those with very wide intersections like Lakeshore at Yonge, at which the pedestrian signals tell you not to cross long before the traffic signals change.

If you're in the middle of the intersection when the light goes full red, then it's highly unlikely that you ever reached that point of no return on the amber.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Completely agree with Rob. The pedestrian timer is a good source of information about a stale green to give you an idea if the light will stay green for long or not, BUT, you are guided by the green/amber/red and should proceed in accordance with it. If you are still in the intersection on the red, its likely you were either exceeding the speed limit or running the amber (frankly, I find myself in this situation at times, probably because I tend to drive above the speed limit).
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If you're in the middle of the intersection when the light goes full red, then it's highly unlikely that you ever reached that point of no return on the amber.
    Also, I don't think this hypothetical situation would end up with a red light camera triggering. If you're already in the intersection when the light turns red, it wouldn't pop. My understanding is they only trigger once the light is red - for traffic then approaching/entering the intersection.

Correct- the red light offence is only when you enter the interscetion on a red. if you are in the middle of the intersection when it turns red, you are not running a red light.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Pisses me off no end when I see people speeding up for an amber to race through or people turning left on a red because they think there's just enough time to do so before oncoming traffic flows through. Half those people would be creamed in Europe and these are the idiots that cause bikers no end of grief. What's so hard with remembering amber means prepare to slow down and that red means stop.