Tires in Cold Weather...

Thread: Tires in Cold Weather...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tires in Cold Weather...

The rider who had the lowside was making a left turn at an intersection at 60-70 km/h.

Now, that is waaay beyond the new riders' capabilities. You will nowhere near lean your bike that much and put side force of that level on your tires as the other rider did.

I rode in 0 to -10c many days with my stock tires @ 20,000kms (worn out) this winter, and you don't really have to pay extra extra attention or be paranoid about corners.

In terms of friction, I would take a -10c day over any rainy day.

What I do on some (rainy) days is playing with the rear brake. I try to see how much it takes to lock up the rear. You can have an idea how much of less friction your tires have compared to a regular, nice day. On cold days, I find out that I still have a lot of traction for a noob riding style.

(I might be wrong.)
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I basically take it easy anyway but wasn't sure what grip is like on cold surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses guys! I basically take it easy anyway but wasn't sure what grip is like on cold surfaces.
    Riding in cold is okay, just have to be extra smooth on the throttle and don't try and carry lean angle through corners. Try and keep the bike more up-right in the turns, and plan ahead to leave yourself lot's of braking room so you don't lock-up your tires becuase they will slide very easily. Yesterday morning was supposed to be 1 degrees but leaving the east end at 7am was more like -2. It's still okay, dress warm and ride sensible to your conditions.