Leather or Textile Jackets

Thread: Leather or Textile Jackets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leather or Textile Jackets

Did a quick search before posting to see if there are any other threads on this, couldnt find any. I would love to get a Honda Racing Jacket, just wondering about material here. What's better? Can someone list the pro's/cons of the different types (leather, mesh, nylon), safety being paramount of course.

Leather trumps textile in almost every way except breathability and cost. I've never crashed in either but look at pros, they all wear leather.

Re: Leather or Textile Jackets

leather all the way, i have crashed a few times at the track. Textile is cooler in the summer which is nice, but pavement is really hot when your sliding across your skin
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

All my jackets are perforated leather.

leather for me as well

Well, I'll be the lone dissenter. For the street, I find textile to be far more practical. You can wear it all year 'round, hot or cold, rain or shine. It's lighter in weight, lot's of hi-viz options, styles, etc. I did have one low-speed accident in which it held up perfectly. Wouldn't wear it on the track, but I don't spend time on the track. So it really depends on what you mean by "better." And it seems like a lot of guys who say that they'd never wear anything but a leather jacket are perfectly happy to wear jeans with it, and maybe even sneakers, so the "protection" argument seems a bit of a red herring sometimes...
    The blues ain't about theory, they's about therapy.