Imported Bike - US or CDN insurance initially?

Thread: Imported Bike - US or CDN insurance initially?

Imported Bike - US or CDN insurance initially?

I scanned the RIV thread and look through this forum, but can't seem to find an answer that fits my particular situation.

In the next couple of weeks I will be crossing the border with my CA plated/insured Triumph motorcycle. I understand the RIV process but what I don't know is where do I insure the bike?

When I cross into Canada do I keep my CA plates on it and my CA insurance until such time it is RIV approved? If not, how do I insure a bike in Canada when it is only part way through the import process?

Thank you.
    Randy

(if it matters I am bringing the bike back as a returning resident)

Re: Imported Bike - US or CDN insurance initially?

Hi Randy

I moved back a last year from California and brought my motorcycle back you need to inform the US customs of your intent to permanently export the motorcycle. Upon arrival at Canadian customs you must provide proof of income from the US to show that you are remigrating back to Canada. This could allow you to exempt from paying duties. Assuming the bike is on the RIV list you have two weeks to get the bike registered with Ontario plates. Also make sure that all recall notices have been done and get a clearance letter from your dealer in CA as the RIV will only accept a clearance letter from an authorized dealer. Also you will have to take your bike to Canadian Tire for them who does the safety for RIV. I did mine at the Canadian Tire in Markham and can recommend the person who did mine who was very good. You can ride in Toronto with you CA plates for two weeks. My recommendation is to do it as soon as you can or risk getting pulled over like I did when I rode with CA plates in Toronto.

Why could you not rode around with California plates longer than 2 weeks? The cop has no way to confirm if you are visiting or here permanently.

can't comment on the plates or insurance, since I trailered it back, but for the importing process:

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80616
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

I would imagine the California insurance and plates should all be effective up until the day you fully change the ownership here (as murf mentioned, no one can really tell if you're staying or visiting, and I am sure you have a month or two grace time from the Cali insurer/dmv to get things figured out). There will also be a few things for you to complete in order to satisfy the Ministry standards here, such as a safety certificate and a valid Ontario insurance policy. Once all that is done, and you get a full Ontario ownership/registration, showing both 'plated' and 'vehicle' portions, then you can call your Cali insurer and cancel everything there.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dahulk View Post
    Hi Randy

I moved back a last year from California and brought my motorcycle back you need to inform the US customs of your intent to permanently export the motorcycle. Upon arrival at Canadian customs you must provide proof of income from the US to show that you are remigrating back to Canada. This could allow you to exempt from paying duties. Assuming the bike is on the RIV list you have two weeks to get the bike registered with Ontario plates. Also make sure that all recall notices have been done and get a clearance letter from your dealer in CA as the RIV will only accept a clearance letter from an authorized dealer. Also you will have to take your bike to Canadian Tire for them who does the safety for RIV. I did mine at the Canadian Tire in Markham and can recommend the person who did mine who was very good. You can ride in Toronto with you CA plates for two weeks. My recommendation is to do it as soon as you can or risk getting pulled over like I did when I rode with CA plates in Toronto.
    Thank you. I don't have proof of income with me, but I will have my passports which show my visa's for the past 5+ years in the U.S. The bike is exempt from all duties and taxes (as is all my possessions) as I have been gone out of Canada for more than 5 years. Triumph has a great system where you don't need to get a recall clearance letter from a dealer, you can do it yourself on their website. RIV says this is acceptable so I will provide a printout from the website as well as give them the URL to verify the information on their own.

I plan on getting it into Canadian Tire within a day or two of my arrival, so the plates withinh 2 weeks shouldn't be a problem.

So overall I can keep my CA plate and insurance for the 2 weeks or so until I get the RIV certification, then I get my ON insurance and head off to MOT for ON plates.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

So overall I can keep my CA plate and insurance for the 2 weeks or so until I get the RIV certification, then I get my ON insurance and head off to MOT for ON plates.
    Yes
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

Banned

Alex. I imported a new truck in 2008 from the states. Under Ontario law,you have just thirty days to do what ever you have to do or truck has to return to the US. Also by Ontario law, you cannot drive a US liscence vehicle in Ontario unless you are importing it into Canada and have your form ONE which you get at the Canadian border. With form one in possesion, you can take US plates off vehicle and drive without them. Should you be stoped by an officer you show him form one and he says to you, Have a Good Day.

I was told this by Canada Customs when I paid the HST on truck and did paper work. Yes canadian Tire does final inspection. I find that scary them doing a bike inspection. I know the Canadian Tire store on Queen street in Brampton is a scary pace to take a car to for inspection less a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by GYMPY View Post
    Yes canadian Tire does final inspection. I find that scary them doing a bike inspection. I know the Canadian Tire store on Queen street in Brampton is a scary pace to take a car to for inspection less a bike.
    It would be more worrisome if they actually had to do some wrenching. The final inspection basically consists of checking the VIN on the vehicle and ensuring the speedo displays metric.

To the OP, when exporting a vehicle from the States you are required to send copies of the bill of sale and or ownership to US Customs 48 hours prior to exporting the vehicle from the US. I am not sure if this requirement still applies to a personal vehicle you have owned for 5+ years while living there, but it is something to look into.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by Malks View Post
    It would be more worrisome if they actually had to do some wrenching. The final inspection basically consists of checking the VIN on the vehicle and ensuring the speedo displays metric.

To the OP, when exporting a vehicle from the States you are required to send copies of the bill of sale and or ownership to US Customs 48 hours prior to exporting the vehicle from the US. I am not sure if this requirement still applies to a personal vehicle you have owned for 5+ years while living there, but it is something to look into.
    Depending on the crossing it can be 72 hrs, not 48. And yes, you do have to send the documents to USCBP even if you have been in the U.S. for more than 5 years.