690 sm

Thread: 690 sm

690 sm

I"d like to get a street SM bike for every day riding as I'd like to try something different again and wanted to see if anyone has tried the KTM 690 SM and can give me an idea how it is for the street but more than that how it would be for someone my size.

I'm 6'1" and 230lb.

I do plan on seeing one so i can sit on it, but wanted to ask here in advance. They Hypermotard and 990 seem nice too and I"ve ridden the Hypermotard but I'd like something lighter if possible.

Re: 690 sm

I'm 6'3" and 220 pounds. I have owned a KTM 640 Adventure which was absolutely perfect in terms of geometry: height, distance from seat to pegs, handlebar reach, etc. It was an absolute blast in the city as well as on trails. I love my current KTM RC8r but I have no doubt that I will pick up a 690SM, 690 Duke, etc. for city riding / hooligan antics. The single is just so much fun and they're so damn light compared to larger "motard" type of bikes. The only other bike that feels relatively light (though not nearly as light as any KTM single D/S or SM) is an Aprilia Shiver but that's more of a street "naked" rather than an SM. I believe I saw a 690SM for sale on Kijiji in Ontario and there's also na early (2000 or 2001) Duke (should be a 640cc) on Kijiji. If you're familiar with KTM, you can't go wrong with any of those. They're so bloody flickable and so much fun...
    ------------------------------
    Alon
    KTM RC8R

Previously enjoyed:
    Yamaha R1
    KTM 640ADV
    Ducati 996S
    Toronto, On.

Re: 690 sm

I ride an 07 690SM around here. Love the bike. It is really quick and nimble, excellent for getting around town as well as taking it out to play and have fun. My friend who is currently between bikes (med school will do that to a guy I guess...but when he gets out and working I have no doubt his garage will be very well filled) is about 6'3" and he was comfortable on it. You've got the dirtbike style seat that lets you move around as much as you want, so really space shouldn't be a problem.

Does your every day riding include much time on the highway, or just around the city?

Let me know if you have more questions, and if you want to see the bike sometime and sit on it etc. just ask.