cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in

Re: cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in

I have over 3000km on my cbr250r, no problem with the engine shutting off either. knock on wood.
    My friend has the same bike, no issue on his either, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My 1st bike, 2000 CBR 929 did that all the time too. Took the shop a year and a half to fix it. Turned out to be a defective kickstand safety sensor, if I was accellerating hard and pulled in the clutch to switch gears it'd die right away. As soon as I let out the clutch she'd fire right back up again (kinda like high speed bump start! lol).

If your bike wasn't new I would suggest hotwiring the kickstand safety sensor (on my bike you just twisted the wires together, yours might be different), but as Steve said, take it back asap before it causes something bad to happen.

And make sure you absolutely drive the piss out of that new 250. Don't be afraid to take it right to redline. Ignore the break in procedure in the manual.

-Jamie M.
    I can easily see this being a problem! My bike actually stopped on the road today and i thought this might be the issue... turns out i was out of gas :P no fuel gauge, so i need to get into the habit of keeping my tank topped up for the time being.

Hey op tried to replicate the problem with every gear and couldnt get the bike to shut off while coasting and holding the clutch. I did the clutch in and let go of the throttle at the same time with low and high revs and couldnt shut the bike down.

How many km do you have on the bike?
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Quote Originally Posted by UJelly View Post
    Hey op tried to replicate the problem with every gear and couldnt get the bike to shut off while coasting and holding the clutch. I did the clutch in and let go of the throttle at the same time with low and high revs and couldnt shut the bike down.

How many km do you have on the bike?
    Cool thanks for trying.

I've got only almost 100km on it now. Just got it Saturday afternoon. I took it down to the EX after work to experiment a bit on the empty roads there. I'd ridden it home from work just then so it wasn't cold. I managed to do it first try, then only about 2 more times in about 10 attempts after that, then couldn't do it again after about a dozen tries. I did manage to do it both going from 3rd to 2nd and from 4th to 3rd. Then I booted to the grocery store and back home again and it happened just as I was coasting into my underground spot with no shift.

It seems to be getting harder to pull off; if it happens again on the road without me trying to do it on purpose I'll head to the dealer pho sho. Maybe it did just need some breaking in like some folks said on that cbr forum.

Still, if anyone else out there has this occurring to them, I'm happy to hear your comments. I don't think it should happen as many that commented before said they've never seen it happen on any bikes that didn't actually have a problem.

I'll keep you posted here if I do have any more trouble and see how the dealer handles the situation as well.
    Last edited by eljay; 04-02-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    Cool thanks for trying.

I've got only almost 100km on it now. Just got it Saturday afternoon. I took it down to the EX after work to experiment a bit on the empty roads there. I'd ridden it home from work just then so it wasn't cold. I managed to do it first try, then only about 2 more times in about 10 attempts after that, then couldn't do it again after about a dozen tries. I did manage to do it both going from 3rd to 2nd and from 4th to 3rd. Then I booted to the grocery store and back home again and it happened just as I was coasting into my underground spot with no shift.

It seems to be getting harder to pull off; if it happens again on the road without me trying to do it on purpose I'll head to the dealer pho sho. Maybe it did just need some breaking in like some folks said on that cbr forum.

Still, if anyone else out there has this occurring to them, I'm happy to hear your comments. I don't think it should happen as many that commented before said they've never seen it happen on any bikes that didn't actually have a problem.

I'll keep you posted here if I do have any more trouble and see how the dealer handles the situation as well.
    Hopefully everything turns to be ok....try to change the oil at 400 km and see if the bike still stalls.
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Now I have a cage only ...no motor cycle (yet)....but When you pull in the clutch you are DISCONNECTING the gearbox from the engine....Thereby now your engine is free to spin in what ever RPM...if you give it gas while the the engine is in neutral ,it will rev...if you let go of the throttle , it will come back and happily stay in its idle rpm.The only 2 things that might cause you to stall now ( with no load on your engine and assuming it has reached operating temprature) are fuel issues or air issues. I do not know about side stand kill switches but this in my opinion may not be related to that....but then again what does a cager know about bikes....

yeah my first thought was low idle speed might have to adjust the idle screw or bike hasn't warmed up yet hence the low idle. But as you ride it some more the idle should be higher. But that can all be solved by Brian's suggestion of blipping the throttle.

When you pull in the clutch does the engine idling sound quiter than usual before it stalls out?

Quote Originally Posted by sid_for_speed View Post
    Now I have a cage only ...no motor cycle (yet)....but When you pull in the clutch you are DISCONNECTING the gearbox from the engine....Thereby now your engine is free to spin in what ever RPM...if you give it gas while the the engine is in neutral ,it will rev...if you let go of the throttle , it will come back and happily stay in its idle rpm.The only 2 things that might cause you to stall now ( with no load on your engine and assuming it has reached operating temprature) are fuel issues or air issues. I do not know about side stand kill switches but this in my opinion may not be related to that....but then again what does a cager know about bikes....

Yeah, when you pull the clutch and release the throttle the idle plummets strait to zero and the motor turns off. I'm so aware of how it happens I can feel it now, I'm like "Oh crap I just pulled the clutch and dropped the throttle and now it's turning off... time to bump". So I've already tuned myself to adjust for this idiosyncrasy.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    yeah my first thought was low idle speed might have to adjust the idle screw or bike hasn't warmed up yet hence the low idle. But as you ride it some more the idle should be higher. But that can all be solved by Brian's suggestion of blipping the throttle.

When you pull in the clutch does the engine idling sound quiter than usual before it stalls out?

what's your bike idling at? I would suggest cranking up the idling to 3000 - 4000 rpm and see if it still occurs. But since it's a new bike maybe not good idea to play around with the idle screw.

Since it's a new bike definitely take it to the dealership and don't let them convince you otherwise that your bike is 'normal'. They'll pull craps like since they can't replicate the problem the bike is fine stuff. Have them check out the carbs. Sounds like something is starving the fuel. The bike is under warranty they may not like servicing it since it can be a pain locating the problem but you paid a tonne of money for the Honda logo uhm I mean product so you shouldn't have a POS bike.

This sounds very much like an ECU programming issue - it's not properly restarting the fuel injector after a period of being shut off during deceleration.

Regarding idle speed adjustment - It is regulated by the ECU on the small CBR's via an idle-air control valve and is NOT adjustable. There is a throttle stop adjustment screw but it is factory-preset and is NOT meant to be adjusted. From the link previously given, tampering with this seems to make the problem less apparent but does not solve it. Given that the bike is under warranty, I would strongly recommend NOT touching this. If it's like the 125, there is a paint mark on that screw so that if you subsequently take the bike in for warranty repair, they can tell that it has been tampered with (and will subsequently blame you and deny all responsibility for it).

sounds like this is what's happening... and it looks like you are nowhere near the only one...

take the bike back to the dealer... get them to fix it or give you another bike...

i dont agree with his riding style... but that doesnt excuse the problems the bike has. the bike should stay on when riding, and only shut off when you want it.

i googled cbr250 stall... there seems to be quite a bit of this out there, get to honda, complain and get them to rectify the issue... you have to tell them of the problem, and if enough people do it, they'll fix it, otherwise they'll just keep pumping these out.
    Last edited by insert; 04-04-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

this ones a better vid of it

it seems to happen instantly when he pulls in clutch at speed, its like he wants to shift, but the bike shuts down before he can... looks like throttle blipping would help, but still, you shouldnt have to be constantly revving engine to keep the bike running.

a guy here claims it disappeared after 200miles... another guy says he almost got ran over mid left turn because of it... http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-p...-stalling.html

i say tell the dealer.
    Last edited by insert; 04-04-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

For what it's worth... from that same CBR forum....

daveoh

The valve adjustment seems to have fixed it for me (.1mm smaller shims on both exhaust valves). No stalls in the last 300 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    ... DON'T DO THAT, it is not correct riding technique.

If you are approaching a stop, you should be downshifting through each gear in turn (with a little throttle "blip" to match revs) as you slow down.
    I've heard this before but don't really buy it. It's like popping your standard transmission into neutral in a car and coasting to a stop relying entirely on brakes to slow you down. Brakes are cheap. Engine parts are not. The only benefit I can even see to blipping/gearing down in turn is a quick reaction out of a deceleration, but if you know your gears well enough you can easily pop it where you need it and get back at it in the clutch-holding scenario.

Oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by iegod View Post
    i've heard this before but don't really buy it. It's like popping your standard transmission into neutral in a car and coasting to a stop relying entirely on brakes to slow you down. Brakes are cheap. Engine parts are not. The only benefit i can even see to blipping/gearing down in turn is a quick reaction out of a deceleration, but if you know your gears well enough you can easily pop it where you need it and get back at it in the clutch-holding scenario.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by iegod View Post
    I've heard this before but don't really buy it. It's like popping your standard transmission into neutral in a car and coasting to a stop relying entirely on brakes to slow you down. Brakes are cheap. Engine parts are not. The only benefit I can even see to blipping/gearing down in turn is a quick reaction out of a deceleration, but if you know your gears well enough you can easily pop it where you need it and get back at it in the clutch-holding scenario.
    uhh...not really....you need to be in the right gear every time you drive/ride......coasting is highly dangerous.....you are coasting to a red light and buddy at front sees a kitty on the road.....you swerve to avoid it....the light now turns green...and you gun the engine to go..only you are now in neutral and the engine is racing towards the sky without doing any thing...you're gonna get that "GTFO" honk from the truck behind you which only makes you jump...possibly causing loss of control and possibly send you to the doc....don't blame that kitty now...be in the right gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    Oh boy.
    Eloquent elaboration. I am totally convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by sid_for_speed View Post
    uhh...not really....you need to be in the right gear every time you drive/ride......coasting is highly dangerous.....you are coasting to a red light and buddy at front sees a kitty on the road.....you swerve to avoid it....the light now turns green...and you gun the engine to go..only you are now in neutral and the engine is racing towards the sky without doing any thing...you're gonna get that "GTFO" honk from the truck behind you which only makes you jump...possibly causing loss of control and possibly send you to the doc....don't blame that kitty now...be in the right gear!
    Granted. I can see the jumpy reaction causing some issues.

OP, did you get this fixed? If my bike died while I was going 60km/h - 80km/h, I think I would freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    OP, did you get this fixed? If my bike died while I was going 60km/h - 80km/h, I think I would freak out.
    All you have to do is let the clutch back out and the bike roars back to life! lol.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...