cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in

Thread: cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in

I just got my new cbr250 yesterday and noticed something weird on my second ride. It happened riding home once but I figured that was just me and new bike getting to know each other.

Went out a few hours later and rode around and every once in a while when I pull the clutch, to either shift down or just stop, the engine just shuts off. Hitting the ignition button starts it again right away but it scares the crap out of me when I'm turning or supposed to be moving, especially on downtown streets.

The topic got beaten to death on this forum http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-p...nshifting.html but I don't know if there is any final resolution besides fighting with the dealer for months and filing complaints and whatever other negs I don't need in my life.

Any one else in GTA have this issue? This vid demonstrates my issue perfectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCmDGmpFt6M It was made by the OP of the above forum link.

You can PM me if you don't want to air your grievance in public. I'd like to know that maybe after breaking the bike in and the weather gets warmer the problem will go away.

Re: cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in

Get it back to the dealer ASAP, take it back every time it does it and make a stink about it if it is not fixed. Until they give you a new bike or fix it right. Do not let it go or let someone convince you it is normal. You paid good money for a new bike and they owe one that works right.

My 1st bike, 2000 CBR 929 did that all the time too. Took the shop a year and a half to fix it. Turned out to be a defective kickstand safety sensor, if I was accellerating hard and pulled in the clutch to switch gears it'd die right away. As soon as I let out the clutch she'd fire right back up again (kinda like high speed bump start! lol).

If your bike wasn't new I would suggest hotwiring the kickstand safety sensor (on my bike you just twisted the wires together, yours might be different), but as Steve said, take it back asap before it causes something bad to happen.

And make sure you absolutely drive the piss out of that new 250. Don't be afraid to take it right to redline. Ignore the break in procedure in the manual.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My 1st bike, 2000 CBR 929 did that all the time too. Took the shop a year and a half to fix it. Turned out to be a defective kickstand safety sensor, if I was accellerating hard and pulled in the clutch to switch gears it'd die right away. As soon as I let out the clutch she'd fire right back up again (kinda like high speed bump start! lol).

If your bike wasn't new I would suggest hotwiring the kickstand safety sensor (on my bike you just twisted the wires together, yours might be different), but as Steve said, take it back asap before it causes something bad to happen.

And make sure you absolutely drive the piss out of that new 250. Don't be afraid to take it right to redline. Ignore the break in procedure in the manual.

-Jamie M.
    I can easily see this being a problem! My bike actually stopped on the road today and i thought this might be the issue... turns out i was out of gas :P no fuel gauge, so i need to get into the habit of keeping my tank topped up for the time being.

Hey op tried to replicate the problem with every gear and couldnt get the bike to shut off while coasting and holding the clutch. I did the clutch in and let go of the throttle at the same time with low and high revs and couldnt shut the bike down.

How many km do you have on the bike?
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Quote Originally Posted by UJelly View Post
    Hey op tried to replicate the problem with every gear and couldnt get the bike to shut off while coasting and holding the clutch. I did the clutch in and let go of the throttle at the same time with low and high revs and couldnt shut the bike down.

How many km do you have on the bike?
    Cool thanks for trying.

I've got only almost 100km on it now. Just got it Saturday afternoon. I took it down to the EX after work to experiment a bit on the empty roads there. I'd ridden it home from work just then so it wasn't cold. I managed to do it first try, then only about 2 more times in about 10 attempts after that, then couldn't do it again after about a dozen tries. I did manage to do it both going from 3rd to 2nd and from 4th to 3rd. Then I booted to the grocery store and back home again and it happened just as I was coasting into my underground spot with no shift.

It seems to be getting harder to pull off; if it happens again on the road without me trying to do it on purpose I'll head to the dealer pho sho. Maybe it did just need some breaking in like some folks said on that cbr forum.

Still, if anyone else out there has this occurring to them, I'm happy to hear your comments. I don't think it should happen as many that commented before said they've never seen it happen on any bikes that didn't actually have a problem.

I'll keep you posted here if I do have any more trouble and see how the dealer handles the situation as well.
    Last edited by eljay; 04-02-2012 at 08:38 PM.

First rule out the obvious, make sure the battery terminals are securely connected. Failing that ...

Warranty. It smells like an electronic/sensor glitch. It is quite possible that the solution is not known at this time, but you have to get the fault documented and on record at the dealer during warranty.

Side-stand switch or wiring are a possibility. Still ... warranty!

I say it's the sidestand switch.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

^^^^ sidestand switch sounds like it might be at fault here. but regardless of that take it back to them and get them to fix it. just because if something goes wrong, its best to have it documented. this way you can point back to problems starting at day one... basically, keep your *** covered
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

I've just read the linked thread to the end. It appears that in the last few days, a couple of owners have gotten their respective Honda dealers to replicate the problem. Honda ended up buying back the bike of the person who started the thread.

The issue seems to be involving people who pull in the clutch and coast (letting the engine drop down from higher revs).

While not disputing that doing this shouldn't cause the engine to stall ...

... DON'T DO THAT, it is not correct riding technique.

If you are approaching a stop, you should be downshifting through each gear in turn (with a little throttle "blip" to match revs) as you slow down. Only when the engine drops very close to normal idle speed in 2nd gear should you then pull the clutch in and coast the rest of the way (while downshifting to 1st). You should never be coasting with the clutch pulled in (other than that last second or so after you have already slowed to whatever speed corresponds to idle speed in 2nd).

Now, if the stalling happens while you are attempting to do that (e.g. it won't respond to the rev-matching throttle "blip") then that's another matter.

This is not side stand switch, it is not clutch switch. It's likely to be something like a sticking idle-air-control valve. Either that, or the fuel injection programming is too stingy with the first squirt of fuel after a period of shut throttle. There's some words in there about the behaviour changing after a valve clearance adjustment (note: adjustment, not just a check).

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    I say it's the sidestand switch.
    Then how do you explain the problem not occurring during clutch out ?

What is triggering the sidestand when clutch is pulled in ?
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

I seem to recall this experience while just learning to ride my cbr 125. It might be a small bike syndrome but from what I remembered, if am in high gear (4,5) doing say... 70kph and I abrumptly start braking, rpms drop low and it stalls. Do not recollect the exact sequence that stalled the bike but ridding technique is what I attributed it to. Brian P Is right on with the little cbrs.