Insuring a bike without safety cert?

Thread: Insuring a bike without safety cert?

Question Insuring a bike without safety cert?

hi peeps,

can a bike be insured without having it 'certified'?!

thanks.

5:12

Re: Insuring a bike without safety cert?

Yes. But why would you want to?
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

thanks for the reply.

sorry, why would i want to insure the bike without getting it certified? i dunno. i was just wondering. i mean, if the bike needs to be picked up and its 2 hours away and under time constraints (no time to get it certified), but needs to go on the road to bring the bike home (ie: no truck/trailer to haul the bike with). so ride the bike home and have it certified after. but cant ride the bike on the road without insurance obviously.

a follow up question though: 1) does it affect the insurance premium? 2) whats involved with the whole process of certifying? (i might start a new thread on this considering this is the insuranace forum).

That's a good question actually. I'm sure you can insure it but if you get pulled over what can potentially happen I wonder? Vehicle is not yet registered in your name so it would sort of be like riding your friend's bike that you insured? You wouldn't be able to legally use your own plates though.

I did this recently to get my bike to the shop for a safety:

The bike can be insured without the safety. If it was previously registered as "fit" (ie: previous owner had it plated in his/her name) you can transfer the ownership to your name with a 10 day, temporary plate. (You'll get a plate, and a sticker. The plate is the one you'll keep, the sticker is temporary). You will need proof of insurance to get the plate. (my insurance company emailed me a copy of a temporary pink slip. I printed it out, and that was good enough. I believe simply knowing the insurance companie's name, and policy number will suffice).

With this, you can legally drive the bike wherever you want, until the temp. permit runs out. You can obtain 2 10-day permits/calendar year.

I'm not sure if your time constraints will allow all of the above (theoretically, it could be dne with a quick phone call to your insurance company, and a single visit to the MTO..) but it WILL get the bike on the road legally decently quick.

^^ what skinnaird said, typically they do not need proof (slip) just name and policy # and your typically good to go. This won't affect premiums as far as I can remember.
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

I've just did the above for an out of province bike. My 1st step was getting the insurance done and having or not having the safety cert. does not affect your insurance premiums.
    Central America, South America & Africa on DR650's - BLOG
    2005 CBR 600RR - sold
    2007 F650GS - sold
    2008 DR650

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnaird View Post
    I did this recently to get my bike to the shop for a safety:

The bike can be insured without the safety. If it was previously registered as "fit" (ie: previous owner had it plated in his/her name) you can transfer the ownership to your name with a 10 day, temporary plate.
    i actually just read something about this. what you did was the bike was registered/plated/fit. now what if the bike was not plated? i think this changes the situation. i read on the mto site (though i may not have read nor understood it properly hhaha), that if the bike was previously registered as 'not plated' it is the same as being registered as 'unfit' therefore to register the bike safety cert is required. now im not sure how the temporary plate would come in to play with this. would they issue a temporary plate for the bike with the condition that it will be certifed, or they just simply wont?!?!

it's good to know these things and thanks for sharing.

i dont think having the bike plated or not makes a diff. but i have been told that once a bike is maked UN-FIT you can never have it back in fit. and to legaly have a bike on the road it would have to be fit. and once fit geting it plated all you need is insurance and more money to pay for the plate and sticker. and geting insurance is only a matter of money.
    I been doing so much with so little for so long, that I am now qualified to do anything.

I'm not sure if "unplated" = "unfit" (I believe it does, but I'd check with the MTO to be sure). If it DOES, you can't get a temp plate. You have to find other means of getting the bike somewhere for the safety. They won't issue a temp. plate for any vehicle that is registered as unfit. (I ran into this exact problem with a car I purchased years ago).

You CAN have a vehicle that is currently registered as "unfit" registered as "fit/plated". You just need a safety certification to do it.
    Last edited by Skinnaird; 04-01-2012 at 01:13 PM.

True. unplated/no safety cert. = unfit, certified after the fact = plate issued with insurance showing as in effect.

A vehicle must be fit to legally be on the road. If it is a new purchase, as long as the ownership says fit, you can put your own plates on it. You have 10 days to get your own cert. And transfer title. You have 14 days to notify for insurance company of a vehicle change. Therefore, assuming you have an existing motorcycle policy, and are replacing a previous bike, you can swap the plate and legally ride it home and get it certified. If there is no pre-existing policy, get it towed.

thanks for the replies.