Left-hand turn at red light - one-way to one-way, but...

Thread: Left-hand turn at red light - one-way to one-way, but...

Left-hand turn at red light - one-way to one-way, but...

Hey all.

I've been wondering about this, and can't find the answers, to this particular scenario.

You're allowed to turn left, at a red light, from a one-way, to a one-way.
    But, there is an intersection in Waterloo (Erb and Caroline), where I'm not sure which way this rule would go?

I had a crude diagram drawn in ASCII here...lol...but the copy/paste obliterated it, so:

http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?fti...FsP_wAH39dy0Cg

If one wants to turn LEFT on ERB, from the north section of 1-way (Caroline), can you do that, at a red light? It's a one-way to a one-way, with no signs restricting it, as far as the turn goes, but I wonder if the cops would say, ERB is still considered "partly" two-way? Or Caroline for that matter, even if you're not driving into those directions?

Last edited by mchatel; 03-30-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Had to correct e-mail...

Re: Left-hand turn at red light - one-way to one-way, but...

Looking at Street View, I'd say that the left turn on a red from southbound Caroline onto eastbound Erb would be legal unless signed otherwise as you are, in fact, turning from a one-way onto a one-way. The test being that by making the turn, you're not crossing any other direction of traffic.

That being said, a screwed up intersection such as that is, should probably have some signage to clarify the issue.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I'd do it. But, watch for pedestrians. They're liable to jump out in front of you, crossing against the red, not realizing that you can.

I've done it at York northbound to Richmond westbound in Toronto, albeit with some honking on my part and some choice words and hand signals on theirs.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

If you follow all of the applicable rules, then I see nothing precluding it. The fact that the same road is two-way on the other side of the light has no bearing on the fact that it's one-way, on your side.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

They seem to be discouraging it by squeezing down the lanes, but as others have said, looks legal.

In addition to the pedestrians and eastbound cross-traffic, be wary of northbound traffic turning right-on-red and going wide, they might be focused on getting to the left lane about to open up and probably won't shoulder check.
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's legal too, but that's why I'm asking, as I've been honked at before, and I've seen other people who have tried this, being honked at, or others, who have sat there, and waited...because they don't seem sure, if they can do it or not. It seems, it's allowed, since it's all "one-way" through the turn, I wish to make.

Aslan, I was honked at, with exactly your scenario...where some woman decided to make her right onto Erb from the south Caronline road, and cut across the two lanes of Erb. I should point out, she didn't stop at her red, I did. lol.