Shuttle driver for car dealer job - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle driver for car dealer job

Re: Shuttle driver for car dealer job

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    FINE, Mr Fun Killer.

If it helps any, I just walked away from my trucking career on Monday and will be starting my new job in motorcycle sales and service tomorrow, which has long been a dream of mine. Perhaps there is a similar passion in your life that you could turn into an income earner, too?
    Good for you Gummi.I'm still kicking myself for turning down a job at a local Duc dealer last year when i was laid off for 5 months.I foolishly thought the company might have a package for me.
    Go ahead and take it off topic.It's just adding to the fun really.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by zeniceguy View Post
    im at ford and you should try a parts driver for a dealer or auto parts aswell. shutle driver works 8-5 at minimum wage. easy job
    I assume these kinda jobs always supply the vehicle,right?
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

+1. Not that I've been employed as a wine taster, but I've been to many a winery in my time and they are places I could never see myself working at. For one, you meet an awful lot of pretentious little yuppie pricks who think they know everything about wine but really don't have a clue - they're easy enough to spot, just look for the ones making a big show at the tasting table, swilling it around in the glass and taking a big sniff, then offering up some tripe little comment gleaned from last week's review in the paper before swallowing it in one gulp. Makes you wanna just ***** slap them into a higher state of consciousness with your leather gauntlets stuffed with a bottle of ice wine.
    The Mrs. and I were at one of those snotfests and she says in her most darling voice "Which one goes best with Cheesies?" PMSL. I love that woman.

Part time or casual labour?

Part time has a schedule so you and the employer know the hours and paycheck.
    Casual is when you call in to see what's available. Not as structured but not as secure.

I knew a guy making six figures who once in a while did a day at a labour supply, just to see a different side of life. Since many of the day labourers are pretty rough you might get some better picks. You could also get crappy stuff. All you need to do is show up in the AM with safety shoes IIRC.

If your skills suited, there are places, medium sized contractors and suppliers that have the morning rush for a few hours. Done by ten and a few hours pay. It might be worth asking around.

I'm not going to mention retail positions because I hate the retail end of sales. The crap attitude they have to take at Home Depot sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    The Mrs. and I were at one of those snotfests and she says in her most darling voice "Which one goes best with Cheesies?" PMSL. I love that woman.
    My fave Wife At A Winery story: Several years ago, we stopped in at the Reif Estate winery on our motorcycle tour of Niagara-On-The-lake region. We selected a couple bottles and headed for the cashier, where the snobby owner happened to be working the till that day. He, seeing our leathers and helmets, wrinkled his nose at our approach and said haughtily, "You really shouldn't transport our products on a motorcycle. It agitates the wine."

I was just about to say "Yeah? Well, you shouldn't piss off the biker that's buying it, either" when my wife beat me to the punch with her more sensible, sugar sweet "And how exactly do you transport your products to the bargain shelf at the LCBO, anyway?"
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    I'm not going to mention retail positions because I hate the retail end of sales. The crap attitude they have to take at Home Depot sucks.
    I suppose that's true at a lot of places (Wal-Mart more readily springs to mind), but I have a friend near Kingston who supplements his pension with a part time gig at the local Home Despot. He loves it, but home renos and woodworking were always his cherished hobbies - he achieved nirvana by working at a place where he could now get all his tools and supplies at a discount.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

I was going to suggest selling hotdogs in front of Canadian Tire...work 3 hours a day and tow the BBQ with the Goldwing.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    I was going to suggest selling hotdogs in front of Canadian Tire...work 3 hours a day and tow the BBQ with the Goldwing.
    That's actually not bad of an idea. Get the right location and chances are a hot dog cart will bring in a decent income; we have one set up at the gas station on the east end of town and she does very well from Apr-Oct.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

My fave Wife At A Winery story: Several years ago, we stopped in at the Reif Estate winery on our motorcycle tour of Niagara-On-The-lake region. We selected a couple bottles and headed for the cashier, where the snobby owner happened to be working the till that day. He, seeing our leathers and helmets, wrinkled his nose at our approach and said haughtily, "You really shouldn't transport our products on a motorcycle. It agitates the wine."

I was just about to say "Yeah? Well, you shouldn't piss off the biker that's buying it, either" when my wife beat me to the punch with her more sensible, sugar sweet "And how exactly do you transport your products to the bargain shelf at the LCBO, anyway?"

Klaus Reif was working the cash register in the retail shop?

They just legalized brothels in Ontario, any smart man would rush down to the mattress store and ask if you can work on commission.

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    He said he was the owner, but didn't divulge his name. We haven't been back since, so I'm not sure I can verify if that's really who it was.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Bahahaha.It would prolly work.

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    They just legalized brothels in Ontario, any smart man would rush down to the mattress store and ask if you can work on commission.
    Awesome!

Raising my corona to your wife right now.Cheers!
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

yes you drive the dealer shuttle.
    normaly older men have the job, and watch tv when not driving.

Quote Originally Posted by zeniceguy View Post
    and ride a Ducati when not driving.
    Fixed
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

Shuttle driver is a decent job for someone in your position, zero stress, and you spend your day driving around talking to people. Parts driver is generally required to move (sometimes heavy) parts around. Pay is normally around the same for both
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - 80k km and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Back on topic now.Handed out some resumes and i'm hoping i get a response.I'm really sick of my job.
    Good luck Ric.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Ok, here's what we can do... meet me at one of the Niagara region wineries, your choice. Sidle up to the tasting table, make a big show out of selecting a glass after reading the bottle label first - with your eyeglasses on and lips moving as you read - then take a big, lung filling sniff of it with your nose in the glass as far as possible. Pause thoughtfully for a moment then utter these words: "An amusing boquet with long legs, slightly presumptuous, but full of life with a hint of applewood and spices". Take a swig. Tilt your head back, swish it around in your mouth like you're gargling with mouthwash, then swallow it all. Pause thoughtfully again, then offer up "Hmm, a bit chalky on the palate, but a long, smooth finish" before retracting your little pinky and setting the glass back down on the counter. I'll take care of the rest. Oh, just let me know beforehand which hospital you want to wake up in.
    Ok, that made me LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwrkr13 View Post
    A few friends of mine are retired and for some extra cash (and to stay outta the wifes hair) they drive. One is the shuttle guy for Enterprise Car Rental and another does bakery delivery in the mornings. Both love the job and it's zero stress.
    Agreed.

I used to work in the rental car industry in a past life and the shuttle drivers/jockeys were all retired and loved the job. Not only got them extra cash but they also got together after work and struck up friendships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Ninja 500R

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    really? I'm moving back to Ontario! Here they have some lame game where they put the loonie on some spot on their body and you try to hit it with your loonie and if you do you win a poster of them. Imagine this game x 10+ customers major mood killer. Can't touch them or anything funny. Missed Ontario!

Back on topic what about those shuttle jobs from the airport? Either self-employed or for a company. If self-employed you can charge a lesser rate and eat all the profit.

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    Klaus is a dick. you'll occasionally find him in the shop, robbie (winemaker) is a bit more friendly.

there are some nice guys, and some jerks. i know most of the winery owners. there are many i avoid