Trying something new - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trying something new

Re: Trying something new

More progress

When you do something, you sure do it right...looking forward to seeing it finished.
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by boarder360 View Post
    When you do something, you sure do it right...looking forward to seeing it finished.
    I dont know if its right, but its just my way of doing things...

Put in some work today

And got some of my parts back from anodizing...

Fork tubes came out sick

wow, that is gonna look hot when you get it together with those marchesinis
    New Supermoto Ontario Club http://www.supermotoontario.com
    My Personal Website http://www.jerrettbellamy.com

So I got the SS-7 fork oil and put the forks back together and mounted them back on the bike tonight, figured out there is actually 198+335ml in each fork in 2 different chambers...Love the all black look of the forks now

Now hopefully one of you dirt bike experienced guys can give me the inside tip, on how to remove these ****ing grips! That are cemented on! I was able to scrape the clutch side off the handle bar with a razor blade, but the one on the throttle tube I haven't even attempted yet..As Im really hoping there is some technique to get it off easily?

Not a dirt bike guy, but have you tried warming the grip up with a hair dryer or heat gun first? or blowing with an air hose?

Quote Originally Posted by SLaP View Post
    Not a dirt bike guy, but have you tried warming the grip up with a hair dryer or heat gun first? or blowing with an air hose?
    Its glued on so good 130psi from my shop compressor wont even get under it, haven't tired heat yet...Will try tomorrow but Im not sure if even that will work, the glue is not tacky at all, its dried solid. The throttle tube side is on there so good its almost like the rubber grip is fused into the plastic, I cant even get a little corner to lift...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 04-24-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Those are new grips on the seat? Slice the old ones off then.

There's a video for everything
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqDM8FYZXJc

btw. Looking good! Kawi green would complete the look.

Last edited by SLaP; 04-24-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLaP View Post
    Those are new grips on the seat? Slice the old ones off then.

There's a video for everything
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqDM8FYZXJc

btw. Looking good! Kawi green would complete the look.

Yes those are new Renthal dual compounds, my favorite grips I run on all my bikes...Green would be nice but I will only use those Renthals as they are my favorite grip

In that video the guy already has aftermarket grips, and even an aftermarket throttle tube...Your not understanding, the stock grip is on there really really good, like too ****ing good!.......I already cut it down the middle like that video, and I cant even pull it off at all...I might just do what that guy did and buy an aftermarket throttle tube...

Here you can see I cut the grip down the middle and pulled it with all my force, and it wont lift at all...Even when I scrape it with a blade, a layer of rubber still remains glued to the plastic throttle tube. And its like that 100% all the way around the grip from end to end...Ive probably removed 100 pairs of sport bikes grips, OEM and aftermarket in my lifetime and have never seen anything on there as good as these bastards

Pm Reciprocity......

I know it sucks but most guys I know just replace the kawasaki throttle tube,because its so much work getting them clean.I dont know what they use but its like the whole grip is superglued on lol. Or just take your time with a utility knife.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 04-24-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

Quote Originally Posted by canuckwr250 View Post
    I know it sucks but most guys I know just replace the kawasaki throttle tube,because its so much work getting them clean.I dont know what they use but its like the whole grip is superglued on lol. Or just take your time with a utility knife.
    Thanks..... yeah Im over it already, just spent 30 min trying to carve it off with a brand new razor blade and Im barely got anywhere with it... So I just ordered an aftermarket throttle tube instead

Wow, that grip glue must be intense. I've never had that issue before. Always been able to slice them down the side and peel them off.
    I had my left grip slide off while on the track this weekend. Glued it back on but think I want to wire them this time.

ALLLWAYS wire and hairspray your grips, don't bother with the goofy glue, you'll get the problems as above.

I think Kawi uses Godzilla jizz to put the new grips on, I've never seen anything like it either.

Johnny, replace that tube with a billet one, the first time you drop that one on the right bar on asphalt it'll be a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    ALLLWAYS wire and hairspray your grips, don't bother with the goofy glue, you'll get the problems as above.

I think Kawi uses Godzilla jizz to put the new grips on, I've never seen anything like it either.

Johnny, replace that tube with a billet one, the first time you drop that one on the right bar on asphalt it'll be a mess.
    Thanks, and yeah I went with a billet one...

Stock grips on DRZ are the same thing. The rubber is melted onto the throttle tube or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by N3WMAN View Post
    Stock grips on DRZ are the same thing. The rubber is melted onto the throttle tube or something.
    I guess it depends ... mine were very easy to take off. I still have them as a spare.

There's no way I could bounce that off a tree without crying.