My New Project!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Project!

Talking My New Project!

Hey guys, still pretty new to this forum, and brand new motorcycle driver. I used to have a 150cc scooter but i sold that today and i bought this monstrosity :P
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_015.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	27870

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_017.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	27871

A 1992 Yamaha Seca II!
    So im pretty happy with the bike, it took me about 15-20 minutes of riding to get used to a clutch driven bike, and the wheels being farther apart on the Seca compared to my scooter also made quite the difference in the amount of leaning/steering. So im pretty confidant to drive it on the road wit other cars now. I did a small takedown of the external parts of the bike, fairings, tank, etc. So most of the bike is in pretty good condition. Since im new to a bike of this calibre i dont know exactly what needs to be replaced/changed on the bike. A few things i can say about the bike after driving it, the clutch is a little rough (should i replace it?) the brakes should be alright for now, i found that almost all the carb boots are cracked (the previous owner just put gasket maker around it -_-), theres too much oil in the bike (since there is no centrestand, the previous owner probably filled it while on the side stand and didnt account for the leaning of the bike), Headlight is alright for now, I just installed turn signals on the bike so i can safety it, would be nice to have a right handside mirror, it might need a new exhaust pipe or header (i saw a crack where the header meets the actual exhaust pipe ill take a picture of it just to make sure its a crack, Brake oil seems to be more than half full, chain probably needs to be adjusted and oiled, definitely needs a new gauge cluster as the OEM ones are missing...(anyone have any experience with the trail tech vapor? i think i need the conventional forks and air cooled model) should probably clean or get new air filters, should change engine oil (20W 40?), the bike also needs a valve adjustment (not urgent as it runs pretty smooth, but it could definitely use one), Tires are in fairly good condition aswell. Is there anything im missing? Im pretty sure i can do most of this work in my garage, i just want this bike to run reliably so it doesnt kill me :P Any other suggestions or things i should keep an eye on? like i said im new to riding and new to larger cc bikes such as this but im very confidant in myself and my capability's. Thanks for all the help in advance guys

-Armen
    Last edited by Armen444; 03-30-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Re: My New Project!

Check the age on the tires, and from how you describe it the exhaust problem can just be welded up no new pipes needed.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    Check the age on the tires, and from how you describe it the exhaust problem can just be welded up no new pipes needed.
    No idea about how old the tires are, im assuming they are still the stock OEM Bridgestone ones straight from Yamaha, but i inspected the tread, and there seems to be a fair amount left, its got about 1.5-2mm of good tread still left on it, no noticeable vibration while driving, and i might add it drives very smoothly! Possibly because i have grown a custom to my 14" tires on my old scoot :P Yes, the muffler could possibly be welded onto the header if anything, any suggestions where i can get that welded for cheap? unfortunately i do not own a tig/mig welder

Quote Originally Posted by Armen444 View Post
    No idea about how old the tires are, im assuming they are still the stock OEM Bridgestone ones straight from Yamaha, but i inspected the tread, and there seems to be a fair amount left, its got about 1.5-2mm of good tread still left on it, no noticeable vibration while driving, and i might add it drives very smoothly! Possibly because i have grown a custom to my 14" tires on my old scoot :P Yes, the muffler could possibly be welded onto the header if anything, any suggestions where i can get that welded for cheap? unfortunately i do not own a tig/mig welder
    Well if you are going to weld a can on, get an aftermarket can off a newer bike or even a stock one and use that. Also look for a 4 number code on the sidewall (4010 for example, would mean the tires were made in the 40th week of 2010). Anything older then about 5 years you should swap out or risk a blowout.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

No idea about how old the tires are, im assuming they are still the stock OEM Bridgestone ones straight from Yamaha, but i inspected the tread, and there seems to be a fair amount left, its got about 1.5-2mm of good tread still left on it
    Check for cracks in the tire itself - not just the tread depth.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Well if you are going to weld a can on, get an aftermarket can off a newer bike or even a stock one and use that. Also look for a 4 number code on the sidewall (4010 for example, would mean the tires were made in the 40th week of 2010). Anything older then about 5 years you should swap out or risk a blowout.
    Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    Check for cracks in the tire itself - not just the tread depth.
    Front- PAA3801
    Rear-PAD1706
    so these tires according to their numbers are quite old, however i have also checked for cracks, and could not find anything longer than maybe 1-2mm there are only a handful, nothing major at the moment thank god! The bike only has 22000 km on it so im guessing these "new" tires havent seen much use in the past years. I also recently just realized im going to need one new fork seal, oil filter, clutch actually seems to be ok now (im getting much better with shifting so im just going to assume the rough starts/engage was my learning curve), brakes seem to be performing very well! the rear one squealed a bit when i got it but after a little use it stopped (im assuming the previous owner didnt use the rear brake, and its been sitting in his garage for 2 years :P), I adjusted the chain today and felt a more smooth take off and less vibration while riding.
    Thanks for all the help guys

-Armen

Front- PAA3801
    Rear-PAD1706
    so these tires according to their numbers are quite old, however i have also checked for cracks, and could not find anything longer than maybe 1-2mm there are only a handful, nothing major at the moment thank god! The bike only has 22000 km on it so im guessing these "new" tires havent seen much use in the past years. I also recently just realized im going to need one new fork seal, oil filter, clutch actually seems to be ok now (im getting much better with shifting so im just going to assume the rough starts/engage was my learning curve), brakes seem to be performing very well! the rear one squealed a bit when i got it but after a little use it stopped (im assuming the previous owner didnt use the rear brake, and its been sitting in his garage for 2 years :P), I adjusted the chain today and felt a more smooth take off and less vibration while riding.
    Thanks for all the help guys

-Armen

Yeah replace those tires ASAP, not safe to ride on them. If you do keep your speed low to minimize risk.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Yeah replace those tires ASAP, not safe to ride on them. If you do keep your speed low to minimize risk.
    Ill see what i can muster up :P i just spent about $150 on the trail tech vapor, oil filters, and fork seals... i think keeping up with the bikes repair costs and insurance costs is going to kill me :'( I think im going to repair/replace parts after they are completely broken or just not useable anymore, the tires however are an exception, ive had my rear tire blow out on me on my scooter...its not fun when its a "14 wheel. Ill try to source out a pair soon

its got about 1.5-2mm of good tread still left on it
    1.5 mm is the legal limit also for tires.

Well that bike is certainly a fixer upper. I wouldn't have paid over $500 for it. Good luck with your build.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    1.5 mm is the legal limit also for tires.
    In what sense? it needs to have at least 1.5mm of tread or do you mean it cannot be over 1.5mm?

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Well that bike is certainly a fixer upper. I wouldn't have paid over $500 for it. Good luck with your build.
    It actually runs pretty well! im getting rid of the stock airbox tho, because the previous owner had now clue what ebay is (2 K&N Filters for $20 X2).

So tonight, like the idiot i am, i decide to take out the carbs to better understand the way they work together, i re-adjust them and get them synced up perfectly! but now when i put everything back together the F**kin thing wont start! ARG@!!!! Im pretty p*ssed about this because i need the bike for today! any suggestions guys? all lines have been hooked up, bowls are all getting gas, petcock on both bike and tank are working, there just isnt any fuel going into the intake side of the carb! I just cant wrap my head around this! I put a few drops of gas down the carbs to get it to start and viola! it started for a brief moment, so spark, compression etc, etc, are all working normally! the carbs just arent continuing flow of air fuel mixture! Also if anyone can direct me to an Air/fuel adjuster on these Mikuni carbs i would greatly appreciate it!

In what sense? it needs to have at least 1.5mm of tread or do you mean it cannot be over 1.5mm?
    needs to have atleast 1.5mm of tread..

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    needs to have atleast 1.5mm of tread..
    and it does!!!! :d

I just tried starting the bike again, and it started for a brief moment then died... so im beginning to get a little irritated because i did not take the carb apart, i just adjusted the synchronization (if anything it should be towards the better, no?). Its actually -1 degrees outside, could the cold weather be influencing the way the bike starts or trys to start? What do you guys think?

Is there a vacuum tube that's been disconnected? Look for a rubber tube with a loose end. BTW do you have a service manual? Are you sure the float bowls are full? Try opening the gas cap while starting, it will make the fuel flow easier.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

So tonight, like the idiot i am, i decide to take out the carbs to better understand the way they work together, i re-adjust them and get them synced up perfectly! but now when i put everything back together the F**kin thing wont start! ARG@!!!! Im pretty p*ssed about this because i need the bike for today! any suggestions guys? all lines have been hooked up, bowls are all getting gas, petcock on both bike and tank are working, there just isnt any fuel going into the intake side of the carb! I just cant wrap my head around this! I put a few drops of gas down the carbs to get it to start and viola! it started for a brief moment, so spark, compression etc, etc, are all working normally! the carbs just arent continuing flow of air fuel mixture! Also if anyone can direct me to an Air/fuel adjuster on these Mikuni carbs i would greatly appreciate it!
    If you didnt take the carbs apart, just adjusted them and sync'ed them, put all the settings back to how they were before you started to play with it.
    If by chance while looking around you separated some parts that had gaskets you may have an airleak and your not getting vaccuum.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Is there a vacuum tube that's been disconnected? Look for a rubber tube with a loose end. BTW do you have a service manual? Are you sure the float bowls are full? Try opening the gas cap while starting, it will make the fuel flow easier.
    I wish it was as simple as a vacuum tube. Yes i found a service manual online and read through most of it, service, owner and parts manual/catalogue. Yamaha should write a novel... In all seriousness though, they are very helpful manuals, useless if you dont like reading alot :P

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    If you didnt take the carbs apart, just adjusted them and sync'ed them, put all the settings back to how they were before you started to play with it.
    If by chance while looking around you separated some parts that had gaskets you may have an airleak and your not getting vaccuum.
    well my sync was dead on all gaskets are present, in deteriorating shape, but present :P and surprisingly no leaks anywhere! except the carb boots.... i will have new ones within the next week, hopefull

Well the problem was, about 20 years worth of bad care clustered into one shot of me being p*ssed all night, seems that all 4 previous owners of this bike had no f**kin clue how to store a bike.... the carb was filled with the most gummy, grimey, and sludgey brown, yellow and white crystals i have seen in my life! Im actually boggled as to how the bike was running before cleaning it.... i guess it was only a matter of time right? well now that that is over with, carb is now finally clean, and now i definitely know i need new carb boots, the stock air filter will be scrapped and K&N type filters will replace it. OOOOH i cant wait till all my wonderful new parts get here Trail tech vapor, K&N Filters, New chrome mirrors, and much more to come, like the title says, this is my project bike, not me whining about my problems :P ill update with pictures and in detail as to what lengths i take my modification too Once again thanks for all the help, suggestions, and opinions guys, i REALLY appreciate it

-Armen

Personally I would not use pod filters, as the air box helps support the weight of the carbs and without that they just hang there. This would result in torn carb boots, which happened on my '84 Honda CH125.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold