Insurance w/o safety courses - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance w/o safety courses

Re: Insurance w/o safety courses

I can only speak for my own situation; I won't live long enough to recoup the money but, who knows, my experience with insurance has changed a lot, especially related to flying.

For me, it wasn't about the money, it was about peace of mind. I was self taught ( I grew up in the country ) and knew I probably had some bad habits. I did learn that I tend ride straight armed and position some weight on my arms while riding. This not only lead to arm fatigue on long trips but, can also leave you somewhat unprepared for collision avoidance.

Imho, money well spent, now I just have continue to work on breaking an old habit....

Quote Originally Posted by DEA View Post
    If i change 650R to 250R the quote becomes $1400, not a big difference ... where do you get your quotes from?

RidersPlus.COM

They assume you take the course.
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

yeah, it seems that riderplus has bigger difference for 250R vs 650R -- $900 vs $1540 for me

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    RidersPlus.COM

They assume you take the course.

News to me on the certificate making a discount...... I really believed it was an urban legend =)

Jevco also doesn't care for it tho.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    I'm 20 with a cbr125r paying $1900 a year and took the course last year so $1700 isn't too bad :P
    I think I'd rather not wait 20 years to ride for a rate like that.
    hi im 23 with a cbr 125....and i was quoted for 2500-3000 a year.....dont have m2......yet but they say wouldnt make a difference... please let me know what insurance u with....thx

Quote Originally Posted by Lory_cbr View Post
    hi im 23 with a cbr 125....and i was quoted for 2500-3000 a year.....dont have m2......yet but they say wouldnt make a difference... please let me know what insurance u with....thx
    Insurance in general is unreasonably expensive for anyone with the two factors put together:

Under 25
    Held M class license for less than a year (M1, M2, or M).

Trust me: I did a **** ton of research last year. Pony up or do as my gf is doing: wait a year.

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    Its the OP's age, and kind of bike. Its a big bike for a new rider and he is only 30. I changed my quote for my 250 as if I was only 30/yo and it jumped from 480 to 980. Then I switched it to ninja 650R, and it jumped to 1650. Switched my age up again and my quote for the 650R dropped to 860. That is zero motorcycle experience + course.

So yeah 1700 isn't THAT bad,considering the kind of bike and age of rider and experience.
    That's a surprising jump in rate when switching from some age greater than 30yo to 30yo -- which company were you doing all of this quoting with? 30yo is actually quite a desirable age in the view of an insurance company (optimal likely being somewhere around 30yo to 45yo).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)