Insurance w/o safety courses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance w/o safety courses

Insurance w/o safety courses

I know it's better to take the course, etc. but they are all booked till May and I have a friend who can teach me to ride, so all I need is to get insurance w/o safety course and it should be reasonable priced. Would really appreciate if someone can hook me up with any company/broker who would likely provide me with a reasonable quote. I'm 30 (but less then 5 years in North America, so no state farm) and have only M1 insuring 2009 Kawasaki ninja 650R. Thanks for any input.

Re: Insurance w/o safety courses

Quote Originally Posted by DEA View Post
    I know it's better to take the course, etc. but they are all booked till May and I have a friend who can teach me to ride, so all I need is to get insurance w/o safety course and it should be reasonable priced. Would really appreciate if someone can hook me up with any company/broker who would likely provide me with a reasonable quote. I'm 30 (but less then 5 years in North America, so no state farm) and have only M1 insuring 2009 Kawasaki ninja 650R. Thanks for any input.
    With only an M1 and no safety course and not beoing eligible for SF, I'm not sure exactly where to go but be in for a fairly high premium.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Courses don't discount the insurance quotes. They won't even ask you if you have a certif. or not...
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    Courses don't discount the insurance quotes. They won't even ask you if you have a certif. or not...
    Really? I can only speak for TD MM, but safety course certificate, which they required me to fax to them, made a huge difference when I got it.

I know SF doesn't care but I have done other quotes that it made a big difference with.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Your over 25, so checkout ridersplus insurance, they will give you discount for taking course. In fact they won't insure you without it.
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

Do you know any company other then SF (can't get quote from them as i said) who doesn't care about safety courses?

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    Your over 25, so checkout ridersplus insurance, they will give you discount for taking course. In fact they won't insure you without it.
    I know, the difference is like $1K per year ...

Many companies actually require that you take the course before they will even insure you (especially if you are under some specific age like 25 or 30). If you are over 30 then you have a better chance of finding an insurer who doesn't require the course.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by DEA View Post
    I know, the difference is like $1K per year ...
    So why not take the course?

I think what the OP means is he needs insurance sooner than there are M2X courses available...
    Maybe if you can prove to the insurance company you've booked one...?
    Last edited by deuce; 03-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.

I would take the course, but unfortunately they are booked till later April/May

It seems that jevco doesn't care if i completed safety course or not, they gave me a quote of $1700 a year, not too bad, right?

I'm 40 and just insured a 2008 DR650. My 12mth premium was $472; you think $1700 is "not too bad"? Why are you in such a hurry to get on your bike. Having a friend teach you to ride isn't the same as going to a course. Why don't you just wait till you can get on one. Have you tried the various riding schools?
    Central America, South America & Africa on DR650's - BLOG
    2005 CBR 600RR - sold
    2007 F650GS - sold
    2008 DR650

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
    I'm 40 and just insured a 2008 DR650. My 12mth premium was $472; you think $1700 is "not too bad"? Why are you in such a hurry to get on your bike. Having a friend teach you to ride isn't the same as going to a course. Why don't you just wait till you can get on one. Have you tried the various riding schools?
    I'm not in hurry at all. Probably will wait and take the course, but the thing is that it turned out that it wont make any difference for insurance ...

as about my $1700 premium vs your $472 - is it your first year insured? and what is your insurance company?

Its the OP's age, and kind of bike. Its a big bike for a new rider and he is only 30. I changed my quote for my 250 as if I was only 30/yo and it jumped from 480 to 980. Then I switched it to ninja 650R, and it jumped to 1650. Switched my age up again and my quote for the 650R dropped to 860. That is zero motorcycle experience + course.

So yeah 1700 isn't THAT bad,considering the kind of bike and age of rider and experience.

Its the OP's age, and kind of bike. Its a big bike for a new rider and he is only 30. I changed my quote for my 250 as if I was only 30/yo and it jumped from 480 to 980. Then I switched it to ninja 650R, and it jumped to 1650. Switched my age up again and my quote for the 650R dropped to 860. That is zero motorcycle experience + course.

So yeah 1700 isn't THAT bad,considering the kind of bike and age of rider and experience.
    If i change 650R to 250R the quote becomes $1400, not a big difference ... where do you get your quotes from?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
    I'm 20 with a cbr125r paying $1900 a year and took the course last year so $1700 isn't too bad :P
    I think I'd rather not wait 20 years to ride for a rate like that.

My insurance gave me a refund after I had taken the course... ymmv.

As a long time rider returning from a hiatus (children/minivan) I was surprised to re-learn slow-speed maneuvering. The Instructors were great, gave great feedback and were great at managing the disparate skill levels of the class, giving some of us advanced work to practice while helping others not to hurt each other....

I have my M. I never took a safety course. Would it pay for itself over the years if I took the course now?