Making the time to tour

Thread: Making the time to tour

Making the time to tour

I saw this question in another thread, and thought that it was worthy of a thread all of it's own:

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
    How do you guys do/accomplish these sort of tours, with all due respect - jobs, wives/mistresses, kids (legitimate and illegitimate), dogs/cats/goldfish don't throw up roadblocks? Or are you the perpetual traveler/drifter, working only to get up a bank account in order to see you through the next great trip (truly curious here)...
    I put on about 20 to 30,000 kms a year on a bike (though this year may be a low year), and am usually on the road 2-3 weeks a year. dr_sarcasm's question is a great one, and one that I suspect quite a few other folks find themselves asking as they read ride reports or hear other riders talk about their adventures.

So for the riders that feel the itch, this thread is for you. Are you wondering how to make it all work? Ask your questions here, and let folks who have figured out a solution that works for them share some advice. Not that what works for us will work for you, but maybe bits and pieces of it will.

Or...let's turn this into another GTAM &^%$ show. Whatever.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Re: Making the time to tour

My first wife didn't like the motorcycle, my second wife is the motorcycle.

I minimize my expenses, ride a bike that I can do a lot of the maintenance on myself, and choose camping or three star hotels while enroute.

My goal is to travel and experience what I can while living within my means.

My question to you is where are you going to strap the walker onto your bike if you wait too long to do this?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I've had people ask me how I can justify spending 2-3 weeks / year on the road, away from family.

It's simple. I need to take that time. Though I wouldn't always call the riding that I've done "relaxing" pe se, for me it's recharging. I'm a better person when I've had the opportunity to recharge. I can be more "present", I'm less cranky, more optimistic... and it's a deal-breaker for me. I ride - it's what I do, and it's a part of who I am. Someone who doesn't get that, well, it is what it is, I guess.

I'm lucky in that my family has always encouraged motorcycling as a passion, and touring as a pastime. Not everyone has this luxury, which I imagine might make it hard, but there are things that can be done to make things easier. Just 2 things, off the top of my head - would love to hear from others.

1. Regular communication on the road. Checking in at least on a daily basis helps to ease worried minds back home, and helps to set expectations. When I'm on the road, my world stops at 7:30 pm EST, no matter where I am, no matter what's going on, so that I can make a call home to tell my kids about my day, and to tell them good night. I get a chance to connect with them, and them with me, and makes us feel closer. In order to avoid roaming charges on my cell, I look for wifi, and I use Skype.
    2. Sharing pictures - I take a lot of pics on a real camera, but I'll always take a couple of shots on my iPhone. This way, when I hit the wifi, I can do some quick and dirty sharing, so they can see some of the things that I have seen, and share a little bit in what I'm doing.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    I minimize my expenses, ride a bike that I can do a lot of the maintenance on myself, and choose camping or three star hotels while enroute.

My goal is to travel and experience what I can while living within my means.
    Solid. Another question is "how do you afford it?" My answer - I afford it by wanting it badly enough and making tough choices.

I don't ride the latest and greatest 2 wheeled hot rod. Like Ronnie, I do pretty much all of the regular maintenance by myself. On the DL1000, that includes valve clearance inspections and adjustments. I make a point of getting the service manual for every bike I own, and doing as much of the work as I can myself. All fluid changes, chains and sprockets, and I have a guy that mounts my tires for me. I built up a good relationship with a local shop, and they take care of me when I need something from them that I can't get online.

When I'm on the road, all I need is a roof that doesn't leak and a bed with no bugs in it. I've camped, but most of the time in the States, it's mom and pop hotels, which can often be had for under $50 / night in small towns. I don't spend very much money while I'm on the trip - it all goes towards gas, lodging and cheap and cheerful meals. And maybe a coupla brews at the end of a day (bless the US, for they sell beer in gas stations!)

Is it luxury travel? Hell no. I've stayed in some dumps. I mean, dee, you, emm, pee, ess DUMPS. But those are the places where you meet the most interesting people, and where all the most interesting stories live. I'll stay in a dive almost any day over a Holiday Inn Express.

Wicked, Good thread oomis.

I feel this way about some other annual trips i take every year -as in making sacrifices in my daily life, just to be able to afford another vacation- but being relatively new to motorcycling, I have yet to take any lengthy tours. I've done one 4-hour ride to NY with my gf (on her own ride), in which we both learned that she is not the "touring" type of rider. To me, the 'tourer' is willing to put up with *almost anything in order to get in a great day of riding: rain, less-than ideal sleeping conditions, etc.

As I get older I think I'll be looking to do this more, but I think I'd rather do this with another rider or two. Solo touring would make for a really lonely experience, IMO. I'd like to get a tour to the Dragon, and I've often fantasized about shipping my bike to Europe and backpacking/riding as much as I can within an allotted time of maybe 2-4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    As I get older I think I'll be looking to do this more, but I think I'd rather do this with another rider or two. Solo touring would make for a really lonely experience, IMO.
    Solo touring isn't for everyone, that's for sure. I've done it, and I've spent months looking forward to it, but on the second day - yes, it gets lonely. Especially if you're not the type to make instant friends at the bar. If you're more of an introvert than an extrovert, you can definately get to the point where it feels like something is missing. But in my experience - again, just mine - this is one of the things that makes coming home so great. I miss my family so much, and this is part of the recharging process.

Solo touring allows you to go where/when you please, sometimes this is a good thing. Besides, you are never really alone, you have your bike with you.

You can also tour for 3 or 4 days, not every trip has to be a multi-week endeavour, although, I try to avoid touring on long weekends in the summer, too many idiots on the road.

With respect to making the time, it's like anything in life, you need to prioritize, I knew after the first trip to Vancouver and back that I would be touring until I couldn't ride anymore. I always preferred to go far, not fast, but that's just me.

Finally, yes communication is key, you do need to check in with those people that truly matter, puts their minds at ease.
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

[QUOTE=oomis;1757083]Solid. Another question is "how do you afford it?" My answer - I afford it by wanting it badly enough and making tough choices.QUOTE]

Yep.

Having said that, a lot of it is a matter of timing. I no longer have dependent children, I may or may not have a significant other at any given point. As much as we would all like to be free spirits, there is a time when for many of us family responsibilities such as mortgages, children, children’s education, etc. take priority.

I am a “moderate tourer” – not a road warrior. My longest trip to date was to Arizona last June – which lasted 16 days. I get four weeks vacation time a year, but firm policy does not allow more than two consecutive weeks in any month. So I try for one major trip – and then less ambitious extended weekend trips, ie up north, or stateside to Virginia and West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Vermont, NH, etc.

Still it requires planning and as others have said, choices, when you don’t have unlimited funds or time. Every February my gal pals head off for a winter vacation to somewhere warm – this year Cuba. $800.00 is ¾ of my vacation budget for my trip to New Mexico this year, so again I declined to go. I don’t buy a new bike every 3 years, my leathers have that “well worn” look about them. I camp and if I don’t camp, staying in the occasional “dump” of a motel isn’t the end of the world. I’ll live on $10.00 worth of granola bars and sports drinks for a couple of days and don’t consider it a hardship. I accept that if I do want to go to a long-distance destination in a short period of time, it involves sucking it up for 10-12 hour days, I don’t let minor things ruin my whole experience – yeah I’ve ridden 10 hours in the pouring rain on the highways – so what??? The other six days were spectacular and if I had sat that day out in a motel somewhere, I would have had to cut short a day doing what I wanted to do.

I have to admit that I do worry when I have both time and money to make a "grand" trip - maybe another shot at my ill-fated trip to Alaska, I won't have the physical stamina to do it - but who knows? I can see me a little white-haired granny on a Maxi-Scooter - or maybe a Trike
    Last edited by BeastieGirl; 03-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    A true friend will let you sit on his Busa

#1. Find a partner that loves to ride and travel as much as (if not more than) you do. Marry them.
    #2. Spend less than you earn. Use the leftover to tour.

Funny how simple #2 is, but most people choose to ignore it and then complain about how little money they have to do the things they really want to do.

Great thread and great advice. But how about the work aspect, and I'm not refering to money spend becuase camping works wonders on the budget (know this from camping at the track ALL the time). But what about getting the actual time off from work?

Quote Originally Posted by Serialize View Post
    Great thread and great advice. But how about the work aspect, and I'm not refering to money spend becuase camping works wonders on the budget (know this from camping at the track ALL the time). But what about getting the actual time off from work?
    I suppose that totally depends on your work. I imagine that some folks don't have the flexibility to take a couple of weeks off at a time. If changing jobs isn't an option, then it would be about doing what you can with what you have. A long weekend = PA or Adirondacks, maybe even WV. A week = Deal's Gap.

EDIT: and if it's a matter of competing priorities, that you have to use your vacation time for other things, well, we all make choices. I dunno what more to say about that.

I took a short solo tour last august/sept and just rode around ON. About 4 days by myself plus a 3 day camping trip with some friends just prior to that. It was my first season riding and a good bonding opportunity for me and my bike (I grow attachments with my vehicles after road trips). It did get a bit lonely, especially camping by myself. But I enjoyed riding at my own pace... especially when I got to Buckhorn Rd in the Kawarthas.

One thing I learned is to keep enough cash on hand as access to ATMs and debit machines are much more scarce outside of heavily populated areas, especially when fuel range is limited. Something else I'll have on my next tour is a DC power socket to keep my phone charged up. It's boring waiting for your phone to charge in a park restroom.

I plan the same week and a half off every year for my trips.

The first time I did it, a trip to Washington DC 3 years ago, I felt kind of guilty being away from my wife and kids. However, I came back a changed man, much better for having taken the trip. The last two years, my wife basically tells me to go for a week because she understands how much I enjoy the adventure the road offers. It is unlike any other kind of travel because it really feels like, for a week, I'm truly "off the leash" that has me tied down to work and the expectations of others. I've done the usual "go to the DR" vacations but it feels like I've just traded one cage to a different enclosure because there is no true interaction with the environment. Out on the road, my plan is that there is no plan, and it feels great.

As far as travelling with others, I haven't found anyone willing to just hit the road and go wherever. I generally hit up people from the advrider website for a place to stay on a couple nights and it always turns into a great adventure.

One thing to bring is a smart phone with skype loaded on it. I have subscription that allows me to call to and from anywhere in North America so I can keep in touch with my family while I'm away. I just need to find wifi and voila, phone call home. Even campgrounds have wifi now so I've never more than a phone call away.
    Last edited by homme de fer; 03-29-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added info

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

I get very little time off in the spring/summer each year, but then 2 months off during November and December. Those two months are usually spent travelling on backpacking trips (to warmer climates) which completely drain my budget for road trips. But I choose this, knowing that I can always do bike trips later on in life...

Example: Go backpacking with my girlfriend through several countries somewhere else in the world, or go on a 2 week solo bike ride... At this stage in my life, I seem to choose backpacking.

At another point in my life - I know I will want to be doing more long distance bike trips while staying within the continent.

edit: How did I make the time to tour?
    I didn't go travelling anywhere else that year. My girlfriend totally supports and understands me. I also understand her need to be communicated to so that she knows I am safe. I have no kids. I make enough money to travel and as mentioned - I spend far less than I make so I can do these things..

I would like to do a 1 month trip down through Colorado, to San Diego and then up the coast to Prudhoe Bay and back home - this will eat up a my traveling budget for a year, and I'm not even sure I would want to be away from my girlfriend for that long.
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 03-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Good thread - I ride a fair bit on both sides of the equator and my business allows me the flexibility but I tend not to do more than 3-4 days at a time.

As far as solo I do like to go at my own pace but a riding partner, especially with a Scala is a different treat.

I'd rather explore the local areas more thoroughly than do the "grass is greener" long rides. Northern Ontario and Quebec are easily accessible to 2-3 day trips as is Penn and upper NY State and all have much to offer in the side roads and back roads.

Here in Aus an adventure bike is almost a must and for those with limited time windows a willingness to get into the dirt roads and forest tracks will expand your touring sites while keeping you a half day ride from home.

One of our nicest rides last summer was a long 12 hours in June and only 230 km but we had an absolute ball poking around all the back roads along Lake Erie.
    Fun is where you find it and stringing 3 or 4 2-3 day rides in a month can be terrific instead of a marathon long run.

Cost is a factor but any hobby costs and this one less despite the ****ing insurance industry's best efforts to make mcycles go away. .....grrrr.

Having Quebec ( another country effectively, northern Ontario, Upper NY and PA all in easy range makes for great variety in easy range if you get out early and put that first 2-300 km on the slab away before 10 am.

That's my formula but not for everyone as I can work where ever there is an internet connection anywhere in the world and my time is largely my own.

I gave up riding for a decade with kids and business ( and sore hands from too many years on drop bars ) but then #1 son got interested and we'll be doing some riding together on his spanking new SS this summer so it can come back around.

Those lacking confidence ( as I was when I first got back into it ) - just do it and don't over think it....travel light and take time to see the sights -not just clock up mileage and really truly the nicest time to ride is just as the sun is coming up.
    Just don't ride the slab into it - that hurts.

GET OUT THERE!!!!
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

No question where you are in your life can make a big difference. On top of that, much depends on how much passion you have for it. I'm at the point in my life where my kids are grown up and other than sending them money they don't really need much from me. I started back into riding in the summer of 2006 by buying a new DL650 V-Strom. I still have that bike and it has over 202,000 km on it (but I got a new one March 12 and it now has about 2,800 km on it.) My then-wife didn't like it and the result was we got separated and are now divorced. For me this was a great thing to happen as it freed me to enjoy my life and ultimately find a partner that shares the same interests. I also get four weeks of vacation so that give me some time.

Last year, with commuting, day rides, weekend rides and trips, I rode my bike over 57,000 km and also did about 2,000 km on a Gold Wing in the mountains of Alberta and BC riding with a friend on Canada Day weekend 2011. I have been fortunate enough to be able to take time from my work to enjoy some trips. Last year I did three weeks of riding comprised of a week trip to the East Coast (5,300 km to Bar Harbor Maine, Cabot Trail, Gaspe') and a two week, 10,300 km trip to the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and area. In both cases people were supposed to come but the first (east coast) partner didn’t work out, and my good friend that was to head west with me had a serious injury (from Go-Carting) and was not able to id. I went alone in both cases which was a new experience for me. I did get get-home-itis near the end of my trips and both cases I bee-lined home near the end (1,200 km from Gaspe in a day, and 3,500 or so KM from Utah in three days.) I most likely won’t do long solo trips in the future but I did like them for the most part.

In both cases I brought a tent and sleeping gear. One day on the east I spent on a couch at a friend's and did one motel night and when I started seeing $35 motels in the western USA I stopped sleeping in the tent out there. I don't find cost really a big factor. You can eat pretty inexpensively, especially in the USA and gas on a bike isn't a big deal so much depends on how fancy you want to eat and where you sleep.

Riding is my passion and I might not do many major rides this year due to some personal things, but I did a week vacation in California with my GF and we rode about 3,000 km out there. I am sure we will do some week rides this year but they might not be mega milers.

Ultimately it comes down to how important riding is to you and your priorities.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Last year was my first year in a long time doing any traveling.
    And I loved every minute of it.
    Me and Princess clocked 14,000 miles last year doing trips to Michigan, Cabot Trail and Dragon.
    I also take a week in March to do Bike Week in Daytona.
    I take advantage of long weekends and take a extra day or two to turn it into a 5 day weekend.
    I never really noticed bad traffic on these weekends but I did make a new rule....I will never ride on the 400 again.

All my trips were solo but I could just as easy travel with a group.
    As long as there is 600 songs on my Blackberry I never get bored

I stay a cheap places like mom and pops or Super 8 or Americas Best.
    I always take advantage of the free breakfast....even it its just a couple of muffins and a banana.
    But I always bring my own coffee....Gotta have my Tims before I hit the road
    I love Subway.... I just never eat it there.....I throw it in a saddlebag and wait for a nice picnic area.
    And ya I bring my Playbook and a paper map....at night I like to look at where I have been and where I'm going the next day.

To me planning the trip is have the fun....having something to look forward too.
    And as i type this the Expressway is all backed up and theirs a blizzard starting roflmao
    In planning the trip I'll look for roads to try out (http://www.motorcycleroads.us/) or places to stop and take a picture or two.
    Just the other day I was looking at pictures of Gatlinburg and would love to check it out more.
    So Easter weekend if its nice enough....(as I stop looking out the window) I'm off to North Carolina.

Why.....well because I can

I agree with "recharging" and doing it now before the "walker" is needed.

To all the would be tourers - dump the excuses and.... go for it!

Fill your book of life with the best memories you can.... Life is too short not to enjoy every minute.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)