I saw this question in another thread, and thought that it was worthy of a thread all of it's own:

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
How do you guys do/accomplish these sort of tours, with all due respect - jobs, wives/mistresses, kids (legitimate and illegitimate), dogs/cats/goldfish don't throw up roadblocks? Or are you the perpetual traveler/drifter, working only to get up a bank account in order to see you through the next great trip (truly curious here)...
I put on about 20 to 30,000 kms a year on a bike (though this year may be a low year), and am usually on the road 2-3 weeks a year. dr_sarcasm's question is a great one, and one that I suspect quite a few other folks find themselves asking as they read ride reports or hear other riders talk about their adventures.

So for the riders that feel the itch, this thread is for you. Are you wondering how to make it all work? Ask your questions here, and let folks who have figured out a solution that works for them share some advice. Not that what works for us will work for you, but maybe bits and pieces of it will.

Or...let's turn this into another GTAM &^%$ show. Whatever.