Making the time to tour

Thread: Making the time to tour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Making the time to tour

No question where you are in your life can make a big difference. On top of that, much depends on how much passion you have for it. I'm at the point in my life where my kids are grown up and other than sending them money they don't really need much from me. I started back into riding in the summer of 2006 by buying a new DL650 V-Strom. I still have that bike and it has over 202,000 km on it (but I got a new one March 12 and it now has about 2,800 km on it.) My then-wife didn't like it and the result was we got separated and are now divorced. For me this was a great thing to happen as it freed me to enjoy my life and ultimately find a partner that shares the same interests. I also get four weeks of vacation so that give me some time.

Last year, with commuting, day rides, weekend rides and trips, I rode my bike over 57,000 km and also did about 2,000 km on a Gold Wing in the mountains of Alberta and BC riding with a friend on Canada Day weekend 2011. I have been fortunate enough to be able to take time from my work to enjoy some trips. Last year I did three weeks of riding comprised of a week trip to the East Coast (5,300 km to Bar Harbor Maine, Cabot Trail, Gaspe') and a two week, 10,300 km trip to the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and area. In both cases people were supposed to come but the first (east coast) partner didn’t work out, and my good friend that was to head west with me had a serious injury (from Go-Carting) and was not able to id. I went alone in both cases which was a new experience for me. I did get get-home-itis near the end of my trips and both cases I bee-lined home near the end (1,200 km from Gaspe in a day, and 3,500 or so KM from Utah in three days.) I most likely won’t do long solo trips in the future but I did like them for the most part.

In both cases I brought a tent and sleeping gear. One day on the east I spent on a couch at a friend's and did one motel night and when I started seeing $35 motels in the western USA I stopped sleeping in the tent out there. I don't find cost really a big factor. You can eat pretty inexpensively, especially in the USA and gas on a bike isn't a big deal so much depends on how fancy you want to eat and where you sleep.

Riding is my passion and I might not do many major rides this year due to some personal things, but I did a week vacation in California with my GF and we rode about 3,000 km out there. I am sure we will do some week rides this year but they might not be mega milers.

Ultimately it comes down to how important riding is to you and your priorities.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Last year was my first year in a long time doing any traveling.
    And I loved every minute of it.
    Me and Princess clocked 14,000 miles last year doing trips to Michigan, Cabot Trail and Dragon.
    I also take a week in March to do Bike Week in Daytona.
    I take advantage of long weekends and take a extra day or two to turn it into a 5 day weekend.
    I never really noticed bad traffic on these weekends but I did make a new rule....I will never ride on the 400 again.

All my trips were solo but I could just as easy travel with a group.
    As long as there is 600 songs on my Blackberry I never get bored

I stay a cheap places like mom and pops or Super 8 or Americas Best.
    I always take advantage of the free breakfast....even it its just a couple of muffins and a banana.
    But I always bring my own coffee....Gotta have my Tims before I hit the road
    I love Subway.... I just never eat it there.....I throw it in a saddlebag and wait for a nice picnic area.
    And ya I bring my Playbook and a paper map....at night I like to look at where I have been and where I'm going the next day.

To me planning the trip is have the fun....having something to look forward too.
    And as i type this the Expressway is all backed up and theirs a blizzard starting roflmao
    In planning the trip I'll look for roads to try out (http://www.motorcycleroads.us/) or places to stop and take a picture or two.
    Just the other day I was looking at pictures of Gatlinburg and would love to check it out more.
    So Easter weekend if its nice enough....(as I stop looking out the window) I'm off to North Carolina.

Why.....well because I can

I agree with "recharging" and doing it now before the "walker" is needed.

To all the would be tourers - dump the excuses and.... go for it!

Fill your book of life with the best memories you can.... Life is too short not to enjoy every minute.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)