Where you guys buy your gear?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where you guys buy your gear?

Where you guys buy your gear?

i am looking to get

Bell - Revolver Helmet
    Scorpion - Klaw Gloves

which cost 215$ including shipping from motorcycle superstore and was wondering if there is any place cheaper

Re: Where you guys buy your gears?

try motorcyclegear.com
    sportsbiketrackgear.com
    kneedraggers.com
    i have shopped with each one of them way cheaper than local dealers even after shipping and duty.

Get a good relationship with your local shop. You will help a local business and they will undercut the internet prices as well. It takes a while though.
    It's understanding that makes it possible for a person such as myself to tolerate a person like you.

i got all my from the states lol, if you have family down there, have them buy it and ship it up here as "gifts", also if you have friends going down there for vacation or whatnot, have them bring it up here.

Hmmmm that's a good question. Never had to buy gears before, so.......idk, maybe a transmission shop I guess.
    Hope that helps!
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted View Post
    Hmmmm that's a good question. Never had to buy gears before, so.......idk, maybe a transmission shop I guess.
    Hope that helps!
    Lol!

MY FIRST POST....

I'm a new rider... well I'm about to get into riding. Will be going to write my M1 test within the next couple of weeks hopefully.

Was wondering what would be the best place to go checkout motorcycle gear? I have no clue what size/type/quality of gear to buy. I have no clue what's a decent helmet or anything alongs those lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any good places to go checkout gear in the Mississauga area??

Go to riders choice on Dixie and queensway and come out with a missing arm and leg

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Go to riders choice on Dixie and queensway and come out with a missing arm and leg
    So I'm guessing that's not a good place to buy things. I don't mind buying stuff online. I just need to first try out helmets to see what's the right size for me and what kind of equipment is right for me (boots, gloves).

Any things to watch out for when buying those things?
    I've seen DOT approved helmets starting at $75 all the way up till $750. So not sure what is good and what's not.
    I'm looking for a sport bike helmet. Something in black preferrably.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDude View Post
    So I'm guessing that's not a good place to buy things. I don't mind buying stuff online. I just need to first try out helmets to see what's the right size for me and what kind of equipment is right for me (boots, gloves).

Any things to watch out for when buying those things?
    I've seen DOT approved helmets starting at $75 all the way up till $750. So not sure what is good and what's not.
    I'm looking for a sport bike helmet. Something in black preferrably.
    you dont have to buy there, just go there to get your sizing...

^ It's a great place if you're looking for high end gear.
    Mina

I've posted this up in a few threads, take from it what you will:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The default choices (a.k.a. the "big" players), if you live in the GTA and have an afternoon to waste, in no particular order are:

1. GP Bikes (Whitby)
    2. Royal Distributing (Whitby)
    3. Kahuna (Toronto)
    4. Riders Choice (Toronto)
    5. Parker Bros (Toronto)

Now, there are other places further west and/or north that have positive reviews and lots of happy customers (e.g. Blue Streak Racing, Royal in Guelph, etc.), but if you're in the GTA, it's completely up to you if you want to go out to see them.

If you want to go the online route, my preferences are as follows (no particular order):

1. motorcyclegear.com
    2. canadasmotorcycle.ca
    3. ridersdiscount.com
    4. solomotoparts.com
    5. motomummy.com

I've done business with all of the above, never had a complaint with any of them (and no one on the gixxer.com forums have ever had any negative things to say).

There is a online retailer I've left out, STG. With regards to the guys over at STG (a.k.a. sportbiketrackgear.com), my only issue is/was their standard price for shipping to Canada (they tack on a fixed dollar value) - 9 times out of 10 that makes them more expensive than the other 5 I've listed above (however, like the previous 5, no one has ever had a bad thing to say about Jason or Bryan).

If you want the gamut of online retailers who have some traction, then my final offering is motorcycle-superstore.com; I've never done business with them, don't know anyone who has, and quite frankly I only use them for the pictures...

Again, you could also use Blue Streak Racing (they have an online presence as well; and between them and Canadasmotorcycle.ca, you may be able to keep it "local").

Good luck.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

If you want a big selection of more 'entry level' gear check Royal Distributing in Guelph or Whitby (Whitby has the added bonus of being right next door to GP bikes)
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

For video reviews of tons of equipment go to www.sportbiketrackgear.com

It will give you a head start on knowledge. Fit is the most important thing for a helmet, most offer at least good protection, then it's things like venting, removable pads, graphics etc.

I've used Arai (Quantum was a great fit on my round melon) and hated the shield removal system. I've had a few Shoei that I thought were great, an Icon that was good, an HJC that was okay, and a Shark RSR2 that is the best helmet I have ever owned.
    It's understanding that makes it possible for a person such as myself to tolerate a person like you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDogDarren View Post
    For video reviews of tons of equipment go to www.sportbiketrackgear.com

It will give you a head start on knowledge. Fit is the most important thing for a helmet, most offer at least good protection, then it's things like venting, removable pads, graphics etc.

I've used Arai (Quantum was a great fit on my round melon) and hated the shield removal system. I've had a few Shoei that I thought were great, an Icon that was good, an HJC that was okay, and a Shark RSR2 that is the best helmet I have ever owned.
    Revzilla also has a lot of helpful videos FWIW
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Wow, you guys are a wealth of knowledge!

I heard about Royal Distributing in Guelph and saw some of there prices online. They seem pretty good. I'm about 45 mins away from them.

I was wondering if there were any stores in Mississauga I could go to, to just check out the equipment. Try it out, get my size etc.

Talking about helmets, i just want a plain black one for now. Something that's cheap, does the job and fits well. I will buy a better one later one once I get more into riding and buy a 600cc bike. For now I'm going with the basics and just a 250cc bike.

Any particular things that are a must on the helmet?? Something you would highly recommend that I opt for??

Got the show this weekend...get a tat while your there

http://www.nationalmotorcycleshow.com/welcome.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Aznkid2000 View Post
    i am looking to get

Bell - Revolver Helmet
    Scorpion - Klaw Gloves

which cost 215$ including shipping from motorcycle superstore and was wondering if there is any place cheaper
    Motorcycle-superstore.com
    Riderdiscount.com (free shipping to Canada)
    Amazon.com (i ship to the border and go pick it up)
    But you should calculate a duty fee, Mine was 30$ duty fees for a 152$ bill ( Joe rocket jacket)

And believe me, it doesn't worth to buy local ... for the same jacket, they were asking 299 + tax, and 235$ for the Bell revolver (it was 99$ at Motorcycle-superstore.com)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDogDarren View Post
    Get a good relationship with your local shop. You will help a local business and they will undercut the internet prices as well. It takes a while though.
    buy local, when it worth it …. Everything (or almost) is made in China, so why making someone else rich when you can save lot of money.

I hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by zakarov View Post
    buy local, when it worth it ….
    I hope it helps
    Exactly, I've been dealing with the same guys since 97 so I am treated well.

Go to GP Bikes in Whitby, its worth the drive out, they got good quality stuff, lots of selection and a whole slew of Helmets from different brands. Good if you want to get a feel for what works for you. Royal Distributing has a location on the same street but I don't think their selection is as top notch as GP but they do have some lower end gear if you are on a budget..