Advise for a Cruiser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise for a Cruiser

Advise for a Cruiser

Looking at a cruiser this year and I was looking at getting something like a Vstar. People seem to be keen on pushing the 1700 instead of the 1100s. Any reasons for this? Anyone out there that has riden both have some experience or stories to share? The goog doesn't seem to answer anything other then more ccs. From my understanding the Star series will no longer be making the 650s and the 1100s if I recall correctly. Looking at something used and I have no idea on what classifies as a good price for kms. Of course, there are crazies out there looking for a obscene amount of cash for anything built remotely in the 2000s and well over 20000kms and more then 650cc.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Advise for a Cruiser

I've got an 05 1100, and it's great. I think that's the last year they made them with carbs -- perhaps it was 06 or something.

Anyway, I've known some people who love the 650s, I've known far more who got sick of it in 6 months to a year, becuase of the lax power. I forget the stock HP, but the 1100 comes with just over 50. . . I've known most people to get that dynoed at around 62-65 or so with pods under the tank, new jets and exhaust. Above that? You're talking stuff like modified cams, etc.

I can tell you that stock, I thought the 1100 was fine everywhere but the highway, where past 120 it screams like its testacles were in a vice, and I was always reaching for the non-existent 6th gear. But with the bike breathing better after mods and rejet, it's fine for power (at least for me -- perhaps I could do with another 10-20hp, but that's it.

I've also ridden the 950 and 1300 Vstars when they came out. I found them to ride very similar -- deadly smooth. it was like riding my buddy's C50 -- the kind of bike where you'd be so relaxed that you'd all of a sudden wonder, "what happened to that last 2 miles?". The 1100 isn't like that. . .it's a good, solid reliable bike, but you 'feel' the ride a bit more. It's got more of a personality, and not in a "this peice of crap is so querky only I can start it", but rather just a bit more of a feel of the road in the ride.

I found the 950 and 1300 to operate much smoother at slow speeds compared to my 1100 -- a trait I noticed as soon as I got mine.

Overall, I still dig the 1100 and get loads of compliments on it from mechanics and enthusiasts who would take it over the 13. Every so often I think about chucking it and getting something else, but can't bring myself to do so.

You mentioned a 1700? Then you're up to things like the raider and strat, which use a 1900cc engine, I beleive. I loved riding the raider. Nice bike. The strat and roadliner always felt like lazyboys on wheels. Always thought they handled like pigs at slow speeds; worse than my 11, that's for sure.

Anyways, all the rides you're looking at are bulletproof, and great purchases. Good luck and we'll see you out there.
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckerjay View Post
    I've got an 05 1100, and it's great. I think that's the last year they made them with carbs -- perhaps it was 06 or something.

Anyway, I've known some people who love the 650s, I've known far more who got sick of it in 6 months to a year, becuase of the lax power. I forget the stock HP, but the 1100 comes with just over 50. . . I've known most people to get that dynoed at around 62-65 or so with pods under the tank, new jets and exhaust. Above that? You're talking stuff like modified cams, etc.

I can tell you that stock, I thought the 1100 was fine everywhere but the highway, where past 120 it screams like its testacles were in a vice, and I was always reaching for the non-existent 6th gear. But with the bike breathing better after mods and rejet, it's fine for power (at least for me -- perhaps I could do with another 10-20hp, but that's it.

I've also ridden the 950 and 1300 Vstars when they came out. I found them to ride very similar -- deadly smooth. it was like riding my buddy's C50 -- the kind of bike where you'd be so relaxed that you'd all of a sudden wonder, "what happened to that last 2 miles?". The 1100 isn't like that. . .it's a good, solid reliable bike, but you 'feel' the ride a bit more. It's got more of a personality, and not in a "this peice of crap is so querky only I can start it", but rather just a bit more of a feel of the road in the ride.

I found the 950 and 1300 to operate much smoother at slow speeds compared to my 1100 -- a trait I noticed as soon as I got mine.

Overall, I still dig the 1100 and get loads of compliments on it from mechanics and enthusiasts who would take it over the 13. Every so often I think about chucking it and getting something else, but can't bring myself to do so.

You mentioned a 1700? Then you're up to things like the raider and strat, which use a 1900cc engine, I beleive. I loved riding the raider. Nice bike. The strat and roadliner always felt like lazyboys on wheels. Always thought they handled like pigs at slow speeds; worse than my 11, that's for sure.

Anyways, all the rides you're looking at are bulletproof, and great purchases. Good luck and we'll see you out there.
    Awesome attention to detail. Thanks a million. I pushed aside the C50/C90s and the Aeros, so I'm going to stick with the Star lineup. Just depends on where to get one at a reasonable price. Kijiji is brutal, but there isn't a lot of savings to be had new or used between Canada and the US.

Again, thanks for the post, was very informative.

Had a 2002 Vstar Classic 1100 until 2008. Excellent ride in the twisties - very very tight. A buddy had a Roadstar ('04) and it was a pig except on the 400 series. Buddy had his bike "ported" to give him a little more "ummph" because it was so slow to react in the hills.
    Honda Shadows etc lack the pep of the VStar and also lack the double disk brakes. When in the twisties- you want two disks up front. Vstars are still air-cooled (1100 and 1700) One issue with the 1100 Vstar is engineering. the engine is the same as the Virago 1100 (so it's OLD) and they didn't even relocate the oil filter - so you have to remove the piipes to get at the filter!! For about $350 you can get an external filter adapter.
    If buying used (I'd never buy any other way) try to get a bike with the oil relocator already installed and check the two bolts on the starter to ENSURE they are absolutely straight.
    The Vstar is good on gas when under 120 km/h but sucks like a V-8 over 120.

Oh... BTW in 2008, I bought a Shadow ACE Tourer because of the hard bags, so I don't have the spunk of the VStar, but I can carry a lot more stuff for long trips. Miss the double disks up front!

Good luck and have a great season!
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

When I got back into riding a few years back, I bought a 2007 Vstar 1100. It was a very solid machine and I put over 40k Kim's on it in two seasons of riding.

At 6'2" and on the wrong side of 250 lbs I did feel a bit big for the bike but I never felt I overwhelmed it. Could cruise all day long at an indicted 110 kph but much over that, things got blurry and screaming. I had the Silversdo Classic and thought it quite beautiful.

Two years ago, I bought a new Roadstar. The big difference besides an additional 600 cc of displacement is that the Roadstar is fuel-injected. The response is very smooth power wise and the torque is beyond description. Tons of power in the midrange and cruises easily at 120 kph.

Also, despite it's size, feels surprisingly well-balanced and is very easy to throw around even at slow speeds. I loved the Vstar and wouldn't hesitate recommending it, but the Roadstar is like the Vstar on steroids. And unlike the Vstar, I don't find myself wishing for a 6th gear on the highway.

Fuel consumption is not its strong point, however, but you are running a 1.7 litre engine! That's bigger than my first car.

Hope this is helpful.

Not sure what your price point it but, I'd honestly look at HD, soft tails. Fatboy, Heritage, Deluxe models are nice. I find used pricing to be inline with anything else you see on kijiji.

Just food for thought.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

If it needs a 1.7 litre engine to carry my sorry a.. then something is wrong. My second car was 1.6 litres and could cruise north of 160 all day long, with 4 1/2 passengers and luggage.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Hey koFFey,

IMHO - check out the Vulcan 1700 Voyager http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/CRUISER...00-Voyager-ABS
    I sat on this beast at the January show (hopefully my next bike) and it literally blew the doors off HD in fit, feel, accessories and price.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

Fantasic advise everyone. I went out to a dealer last week to have a sit and the 1100 was nice, but after talking to a few people there, they said that highways is a little hard since its missing the 6th gear. So, I went looking for a Road/Royal and found that the price points as nakkers mentioned was much in line with the HDs. The decisions that one has to make is hard. Thanks for the tips on the oil filter, I'll be sure to see what I can find out. I'm not in any rush to jump into the season as I sold my GSXR and need a larger shed to store whatever bike I find. Thanks again. Safe riding out there lads/ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreez View Post
    and it literally blew the doors off HD
    Harley doesn't make cars.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by koFFey View Post
    Fantasic advise everyone. I went out to a dealer last week to have a sit and the 1100 was nice, but after talking to a few people there, they said that highways is a little hard since its missing the 6th gear. So, I went looking for a Road/Royal and found that the price points as nakkers mentioned was much in line with the HDs. The decisions that one has to make is hard. Thanks for the tips on the oil filter, I'll be sure to see what I can find out. I'm not in any rush to jump into the season as I sold my GSXR and need a larger shed to store whatever bike I find. Thanks again. Safe riding out there lads/ladies.
    That's a big change from a GSXR to a cruiser. Maybe you should look at a VMax.

Love my Kawasaki Vaquero ! Cruise all day, and looks amazing ! Cruise control, Stereo system. Only thing I had to add is a taller windshield. Put on a 9inch Cee Bailey and it makes a huge difference
    2011 Kawasaki Vaquero - Black !
    9" Cee Bailey Windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Quad_Hunter View Post
    Love my Kawasaki Vaquero !
    That's one of the few bikes on my short list if I ever get tired of the Road Glide; frame mount fairing, hard bags, doesn't look much like a Harley and has a tried and true platform. The cheesy stock windshield is a turnoff, but I wasn't aware that CB was making replacements for them yet. Do you have any pics with it installed?
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    That's a big change from a GSXR to a cruiser. Maybe you should look at a VMax.
    I looked at the vmax, loved the bike, but all the same, it isn't somthing that I can really tour with the wife on. I had a couple of cruisers in the past, not as big, so, this isn't a new field for me.

Love my Kawasaki Vaquero ! Cruise all day, and looks amazing ! Cruise control, Stereo system. Only thing I had to add is a taller windshield. Put on a 9inch Cee Bailey and it makes a huge difference
    Can you get back rest for this? I went to the kawa site, looks like an upgrade to the voyager or downgrade to the nomad/classic to get it.

The Kawi V does not have a lot of power for a big bike, only 61 Kw = 82 HP.
    Its a nice looking bike thou.

Telling you up front - totally bias opinion ...

Owned most of these ...

Star 650 - not enough unless your first bike, a girl, or small (no offence)
    C50 - great bike, relatively roomy, dull torque curve, revs high at 120km
    Vulcan 900's - Impressive motor, lots of plastic
    VStar 950 - nice fit & finish, nimble, lots of steel, expensive, lacks get up and go without pipes + better breathing
    V-Star 1100 - PERFECT but does rev a little high at 120km. Nice pull, lots of aftermarket goodies. Get the 4" peg extensions and the bike fits much bigger
    V-Star 1300 - Big bike, nice pull, excellent fit & finish (like the 950), liquid cooling
    RoadStar 1700 - Another big bike, a tank though as is really geared for the highway

Of course i presently have a V-Star 1300T for sale ...
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Quote Originally Posted by koFFey View Post

Can you get back rest for this? I went to the kawa site, looks like an upgrade to the voyager or downgrade to the nomad/classic to get it.
    Kawasaki makes a quick release backrest for the passenger, KQR buts it's pricey. Their is a 3rd party backrest called Grasshopper that's $100 for driver with mixed reviews on the net. I'm looking at getting a Mustang seat with the option of backrest. Can apparently switch from passenger to driver without the need of any tools. Seems to be the best option.
    2011 Kawasaki Vaquero - Black !
    9" Cee Bailey Windshield

How about a road rod conversion,sport bike motor cruiser frame with good power 105hp @ 7000 RPM and 84 lb-ft compared to the Vaquero 68.97 horsepower at 4900 rpm and 86.96 lb-ft both are rear wheel dyno #
    http://www.grcustoms.com/shop/The-Road-Rod/
    Last edited by matt123; 04-11-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YamaMana View Post
    Telling you up front - totally bias opinion ...

Owned most of these ...

Star 650 - not enough unless your first bike, a girl, or small (no offence)
    C50 - great bike, relatively roomy, dull torque curve, revs high at 120km
    Vulcan 900's - Impressive motor, lots of plastic
    VStar 950 - nice fit & finish, nimble, lots of steel, expensive, lacks get up and go without pipes + better breathing
    V-Star 1100 - PERFECT but does rev a little high at 120km. Nice pull, lots of aftermarket goodies. Get the 4" peg extensions and the bike fits much bigger
    V-Star 1300 - Big bike, nice pull, excellent fit & finish (like the 950), liquid cooling
    RoadStar 1700 - Another big bike, a tank though as is really geared for the highway

Of course i presently have a V-Star 1300T for sale ...
    PM'd, lol.

Kawasaki makes a quick release backrest for the passenger, KQR buts it's pricey. Their is a 3rd party backrest called Grasshopper that's $100 for driver with mixed reviews on the net. I'm looking at getting a Mustang seat with the option of backrest. Can apparently switch from passenger to driver without the need of any tools. Seems to be the best option.
    Interesting, so a mustang solo seat with a passenger option?

Quote Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
    How about a road rod conversion,sport bike motor cruiser frame with good power 105hp @ 7000 RPM and 84 lb-ft compared to the Vaquero 68.97 horsepower at 4900 rpm and 86.96 lb-ft both are rear wheel dyno #
    http://www.grcustoms.com/shop/The-Road-Rod/
    I bet that is too pricey though. Need a rod first :P This option will be out of my $ range, but thanks for helping out!

how come the VTX 1300/1800 have not been included here? As I get older (just coming up on 40) and my old parts hurt more (bad knee, bad shoulder) I consider moving from sport bike to cruiser too. Astheticaly I like the VTX line more then some...never had the opportuity to ride one though. i've also considered the smaller M109 or maybe a v-rod? Will I be full of disappointment? I not into top speed runs anyway so if 120 -130 is the top end on the hwy, If the bike can run at these speeds for long day runs I would be happy.
    Is a 1200-1500 cc v twin sufficient hauling my 220-230 butt around?