Road King with Apes - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road King with Apes

Re: Road King with Apes

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    Those aren't apehangers, they barely qualify as raised handlebars. Put a set of 6" dogbone risers under them and then you'll have apehangers.
    I didn't say they were apes, I said I wanted to have apes on mine. lol
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Quote Originally Posted by LannyNguyen View Post
    I didn't say they were apes, I said I wanted to have apes on mine. lol
    "I always wanted to try riding like that and have them on my bike." - That's what threw me off, the way I read that sentence. No worries, you still have a nice looking ride anyway... although I think a set of apes on it would ruin the look. Just my opinion.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

This.

Nice Ride brother, I like the look of your bars now , got that classic look

Quote Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
    ^ that is just committing suicide with a motorcycle :/
    you gotta start'em young....

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Part of the challenge with apes is the degree of control you lose. No question, cruising along the PCH on a slammed Heritage with apes looks pretty cool. Great to ride on apes with fellow cruisers. However, add a couple of racers and adventure touring bikes in the group...and keeping up with the Jones is difficult. Keep in mind, most of these harley cruises, with gas and filled bags...probably weight close to 700-750 pounds. Throw in apes and technical riding...you will find religion pretty soon (smile). Rode up to Wawa (north of the Sault) and back. The apes held up great while I was cruising around at 100-120 on an ultra classic. The moment fellow riders open up the throttle and started navigating on the turns...game over. Mind you, I saw a dude scream down the tail of the dragon on 18" apes!!! So I suppose a lot depends on the rider. Also, isn't there some law on apes here in Ontario. Got pulled over at the forks last summer. Cop basically measured from seat to grip. Got off with a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Armand View Post
    Part of the challenge with apes is the degree of control you lose. No question, cruising along the PCH on a slammed Heritage with apes looks pretty cool. Great to ride on apes with fellow cruisers. However, add a couple of racers and adventure touring bikes in the group...and keeping up with the Jones is difficult. Keep in mind, most of these harley cruises, with gas and filled bags...probably weight close to 700-750 pounds. Throw in apes and technical riding...you will find religion pretty soon (smile). Rode up to Wawa (north of the Sault) and back. The apes held up great while I was cruising around at 100-120 on an ultra classic. The moment fellow riders open up the throttle and started navigating on the turns...game over. Mind you, I saw a dude scream down the tail of the dragon on 18" apes!!! So I suppose a lot depends on the rider. Also, isn't there some law on apes here in Ontario. Got pulled over at the forks last summer. Cop basically measured from seat to grip. Got off with a warning.
    I guess it does take a skilled rider to navigate turns with apes. there's a law with regards to the height of the apes, I did not know that as you said they look pretty cool when coasting down the PCH on a slammed Heritage

This is what I was able to find with a quick search on Google. Not sure if outdated...

HTA OReg 596 (the $110 ticket)
    10(1) No person shall operate upon a highway a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle equipped with handlebars that are more than 380 millimetres in height above the uppermost portion of the seat provided for the operator when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

380mm = 14.96 (15) inches
    AND/ OR

HTA OREG 611 (Safety Standards of motorcycles)
    Schedule 6 (3)(2)(e)
    No part of the handlebar shall exceed a height of 380 millimetres above the uppermost portion of the operator's seat when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

If a vehicle fails any part of a OREG 611 it is not safe....so could be facing a charge of "unsafe vehicle"....HTA 84 (fine $400 - $20000). Then the licence plate can be seized HTA 82(5).

Quote Originally Posted by Armand View Post
    This is what I was able to find with a quick search on Google. Not sure if outdated...

HTA OReg 596 (the $110 ticket)
    10(1) No person shall operate upon a highway a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle equipped with handlebars that are more than 380 millimetres in height above the uppermost portion of the seat provided for the operator when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

380mm = 14.96 (15) inches
    AND/ OR

HTA OREG 611 (Safety Standards of motorcycles)
    Schedule 6 (3)(2)(e)
    No part of the handlebar shall exceed a height of 380 millimetres above the uppermost portion of the operator's seat when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

If a vehicle fails any part of a OREG 611 it is not safe....so could be facing a charge of "unsafe vehicle"....HTA 84 (fine $400 - $20000). Then the licence plate can be seized HTA 82(5).

AFAIK, that is still in effect. But if you measure a stock Harley Davidson Cross Bones handlebar height I'm pretty sure it is illegal.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    AFAIK, that is still in effect. But if you measure a stock Harley Davidson Cross Bones handlebar height I'm pretty sure it is illegal.
    I've never noticed any cross bones in Toronto, but it does look cool. Looking at pics on Google, they look small with someone on it.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER

Looking at pics on Google, they look small with someone on it.
    I took one for a demo ride a couple years ago; the bars were higher than anything I've ever ridden (save for a couple of choppers in Germany back in the 80's, but that's a whole other story) and although I didn't measure the height, I'm pretty sure they were well above the 15" mark.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

take a look at JH Customs in Port Perry if you like the SoCal style!
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

law is still in effect in Toronto. Got hit with a $120 ticket for my grips being more than 15" from the seat. I have 1 1/4" chubby 16" bars on my Shadow C2. its setup up nice and comfy, but I'd never go any higher. Long rides are no good for apes and 3 point turns are difficult. But like all my fellow rides say...don't three point...go around the block again. LOL

I have a second bike for longer speedier runs but for cruising around the city, my apes rock.

Yeah 3 Harleys got pulled over for large apes at Dover.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER