Fighting equipment violations? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting equipment violations?

Re: Fighting equipment violations?

I had a similar problem but in a car, I got a muffler ticket, I got a ticket for not Catalytic converter, and they told me to put my hand brake on put the car in gear and let the clutch go. My car was rear wheel drive so it jerked a little, it did not move just a little jerk from the power going to the rear wheels.
    So i got a ticket for my rear brakes as well.

The catalytic converter ticket was dropped the next day, 1 of the officers told me If I put one on and show them the next day it will be dropped, so I went and got myself a cat.

The other 2 were dropped in court with a receipt. I sold the car the rear brakes were perfect so I didnt change them, and I had a full 3" exhaust I wasnt about to pull off. I went to a place I worked at and they made me a bill.
    Last edited by js2021; 03-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.

This is the first time I've ever been to court so I'm really nervous I have no idea what to do.

All I have currently in my defense is the receipt for the plate light i purchased. And a picture.

I can't find any cross section designs on the pipe.

Apparently this isn't a first apparence this is my trial date. I have no idea what I am supposed to do. If I go there and lose, do I have to pay the fines immediately?

Tuis will be the first time I've ever been to court so do I just show up and walk in when they call me? And tell them I installed the plate light after receiving the ticket? All I can say about the pipe is I had owned the bike since July and bought it in the condition it was in when I got pulled over, I recently sold the bike over the winter and my new bike has a Yoshimura RS3 with the baffle securely installed, should I bring a picture of that? To show at least that I learned my lesson to not have an improper muffler anymore?
    2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 Black (ZX6R)
    2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 Silver (SOLD)
    2007 Suzuki SV650 "R" (SOLD)
    2004 Suzuki GSX600 Katana (SOLD)
    2001 Kawasaki ZZR250 Ninja (SOLD)

If you can, I would recommend that you attend court before your actual date so that you can get an idea of procedure, become more comfortable in those surroundings, and perhaps most importantly see what NOT to do. Also read the sticky post on fighting your tickets, though that should have been done first.

You should be given a date by which you must pay your fine. You can try pleading poverty to get a reduced fine, and/or extended time to pay.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

i don't think the crown will make a big stink about your pictures

but nothing short of notarized pictures with original memory card, camera & copy of digital photos on memory stick or CD would suffice for some prosecutors

you might get a plea-deal from the crown to have one of the charges dropped and plead guilty to the other, and then have an opportunity to beg the JP for a reduced fine and extra time to pay

Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleThrow View Post
    All I have currently in my defense is the receipt for the plate light i purchased. And a picture.

I can't find any cross section designs on the pipe.

Apparently this isn't a first apparence this is my trial date. I have no idea what I am supposed to do. If I go there and lose, do I have to pay the fines immediately?
    Make sure the picture has the date printed on it (e-mail the photos to court@tafb.xxx along with the date you would like stamped on them and I'll e-mail them back stamped so you can print them and bring them). As long as the picture shows your license plate (and has the date on it) they have to accept it.

I have a schematic for the pipe showing the RS3 has dual mufflers, one under the bike, and the "slip-on". I can put the baffle in the mid muffler so you can argue the "slip-on" doesn't have the baffle because there is one further up the exhaust system. If push comes to shove this will ABSOLUTELY work because the Cop won't be able to testify he is an expert on motorcycle exhaust systems, etc. He said he laid the charge because "look, there's no baffle" but you can prove the baffle was further up the exhaust system, where it can't be seen = charge tossed.

How it works, get to court early (like 30 mins early). Usually about 15-20 mins before your court time the prosecutor will show up and start asking people to "check in" with them. Explain that you fixed the lights right away, here is receipt and photo, and that there was no problem with your muffler, it was in proper working order, here is schematic.

Best case is when they call you up for court, both charges will be dismissed.

Worst case, they drop the lights charge and stick with the muffler charge. Plead your case that the cop was misinformed about your particular exhaust system and said because the pipe was "open" it was illegal, which is not the case.

Let us know how it goes

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Please pm me the diagram asap

Please pm me the diagram asap
    Sorry, I was at physio this morning so missed your PM and post.

The diagram I have is for the R55:

(I have it full vector resolution, I can label part 7 as mid muffler with noise reducing baffle)

So would take some time to convert it to suit your bike. It would be best if I had some photos of your bike

I'm afraid it looks like you are out of time. Best of luck. If it gets adjourned let me know and we'll come up with some good "evidence" for you

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

mine is a RS3, ya it looks like its to late

im hoping i atleast get reduced fines, im a college student so hopefully they will take pity on me

im hoping i atleast get reduced fines, im a college student so hopefully they will take pity on me
    I can make that R55 into a RS3, no worries there When is your court date/time?!

E-mail pics of your bike to fake@tafb.xxx please.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

WAIT!!!

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/images/p...df/ZX649SO.pdf

Your muffler CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH NO BAFFLE!!!

You didn't remove anything from it, it was complete and in proper working order!!!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

don't be to worried, the receipt for the light and picture should work. usually they dont care to much they deal with stuff like this all the time.
    if you do get fined in most cases they give a reduced fine and ask you how long you need to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    WAIT!!!

You didn't remove anything from it, it was complete and in proper working order!!!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

-Jamie M.

worth a shot i guess, i emailed Yosh, and they told me none of there exhaust systems are road legal they are for closed course only :s so i think im screwed

and i realize the picture i have with my plate light recipe is from my new bike and not from the bike i was pulled over on (i bought the same plate light i installed on my other zzr and put one on my new zzr its the same light just a different bike), so hopefully the recipt from Suzuki of Newmarket is enough to show that i went out and got the plate light right away.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    WAIT!!!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

-Jamie M.
    If it came from the factory with no baffle of any kind, then it's illegal. I was hoping that it was a design that isn't "straight through", which would invalidate the ticket based on the HTA definition. Unfortunately being in "working order" and being "legal" aren't the same thing.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

HELL YA ----------- Charges Dropped!!!!

the pig was visually unimpressed, big f-u to you to buddy

THANK YOU ONTARIO JUSTICE SYSTEM (untill it does something to me i dont like lol)
    Last edited by ThrottleThrow; 04-05-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Win -Win for you awesome!I checked my Akropovic exhaust PDF not road legal so if caught in Oakville there is a bylaw for sport bikes at 5000rpm not to exceeed 100 Decibels. The cop never measured or recorded evidence of this in your case. Therefore there is no proof, am I right?

HELL YA ----------- Charges Dropped!!!!

the pig was visually unimpressed, big f-u to you to buddy

THANK YOU ONTARIO JUSTICE SYSTEM (untill it does something to me i dont like lol)
    How did the decision regarding the pipe play out? The more information that you can provide, the better the chance that you help out another member.

it was weird, I showed the prosecutor my lic led light recipt. and showed her the diagram of the yosh exhaust, and how the parts list doesnt include a baffle. i said i wasnt aware it was to loud and switched it back to stock exhaust before selling the bike, she said "okay, please sit down"

when i was called up she said i provided repair receipts for the two tickets, and she requested the charges be droped, the judge said ya, i bowed and walked out with a BIG GRIN on my face, a couple people i was talking to earlier gave me a high five on the way out lol.

so moral of the story- if you get a improper muffler charge say you turned it back to stock ???
    Last edited by ThrottleThrow; 04-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.

it was weird, I showed the prosecutor my lic led light recipt. and showed her the diagram of the yosh exhaust, and how the parts list doesnt include a baffle. i said i wasnt aware it was to loud and switched it back to stock exhaust before selling the bike, she said "okay, please sit down"

when i was called up she said i provided repair receipts for the two tickets, and she requested the charges be droped, the judge said ya, i bowed and walked out with a BIG GRIN on my face, a couple people i was talking to earlier gave me a high five on the way out lol.

so moral of the story- if you get a improper muffler charge say you turned it back to stock ???
    Wow, you got a nice prosecutor!!! WOOT! Great job man, super impressed you pulled out the diagram of the construction of the Yosh!!! When they see stuff like that, they REALLY don't want to fight you!

Huge congratulations man!!!

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

just depends on the prosecutor you get, and how comfortable they are with arguing equipment violations

these charges were dropped solely due to the crown's discretion, not because it was legal; the decision was not precedential

not sure how much the tow costed you, but if you were caught farther away from your home ... i'm sure it would've been a lot more

morale still seems to be: keep it stock, keep a low-profile ... save your monies

Its generally standard procedure to drop equipment tickets if you fix the problem. I remember a while back, when I was 16 and first got my car, I got those blue tinted bulbs- a cop pulled me over, gave me a ticket and said if I removed them and gave them to him he would drop the ticket.

I went home, took them out, replaced stock ones and called him at like 1 am in the morning, he drove by, we chatted for a bit and I gave him the bulbs. he showed me his "collection" of the blue bulbs and canceled the ticket.

I know some people on this board seem to think that I always get pulled over in a 3 pc suit and I was always a lawyer, but thats not the case. However, I do have generally positive interactions. Everything happened to the OP exactly the way that it should have.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.