is the safety course worth the 500$$?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is the safety course worth the 500$$?

is the safety course worth the 500$$?

If I don't do the safety course i save roughly 450 dollars. Do you think I can lawn to ride say in a parking lot by myself? I can put that 450$ towards my insurance or gear.

Re: is the safety course worth the 500$$?

100% worth every penny!

Quote Originally Posted by rbjeepthing View Post
    100% worth every penny!
    +1 if you've never ridden like me but I think any level skill could benefit from the RTI course. Can't say much about others as I have no experience with them.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

It depends. Are you willing to learn something, or do you just want a piece of paper?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

For me, it was worth it in what I learned. I also saved enough on my insurance to pay for the course, and I'm 48 years old! Shop around for insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent125 View Post
    If I don't do the safety course i save roughly 450 dollars. Do you think I can lawn to ride say in a parking lot by myself? I can put that 450$ towards my insurance or gear.
    Well I would spend it on a better spell checker first LOL

On a serious note "Medstudent125" is your life worth $500 bucks? You might just learn that one tip or emergency manoeuvre that saves your life.

I've rode moto cross all my life and went to street riding last September and I can tell you I thought I knew a lot already but a "Good" course will push you beyond your limits and make a good rider even better!

Its worth it if the course is reputable.
    FPR - Fat. Power. Ranger

"It takes me more to share the back seat on my bike then the spot next to me in bed"

Quote Originally Posted by 09SV650S View Post
    Well I would spend it on a better spell checker first LOL

On a serious note "Medstudent125" is your life worth $500 bucks? You might just learn that one tip or emergency manoeuvre that saves your life.

I've rode moto cross all my life and went to street riding last September and I can tell you I thought I knew a lot already but a "Good" course will push you beyond your limits and make a good rider even better!

Its worth it if the course is reputable.
    LOL its my iPhone auto-correct you grammar zombie

haha but I have decided to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent125 View Post
    LOL its my iPhone auto-correct you grammar zombie

haha but I have decided to take it.
    I have grammar skills a bike and a job. That makes me a great catch in the female world doesn't it? Lol

Seriously though. Well done. You'll learn lots. And safe riding. PM me to thank me later
    FPR - Fat. Power. Ranger

"It takes me more to share the back seat on my bike then the spot next to me in bed"

Worth every penny. As they say, "an ounce of prevention..."

++1 Worth it if you have zero or little experience. I popped my cherry at the MSF and learned a ton. You can definitely learn on your own but the MSF is actually helpful and taught me things I might not've picked up by myself. Plus it's probably easier to pass the M1 exit test as the lessons encompass what you'll be tested on so you get lots of practice.

Worth it 200%. Not only will you learn valuable safety points but you will build your skills above what the test requires which will help with confidence on the street. Also big highlight is you learn on the schools bikes. So if you drop it wont matter.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Yes, well worth the money. And if you're concerned about the money spent, think about your savings on insurance because of the course certificate.

Ask around, I'm sure you can do better than $500.

It is designed to take someone who has never laid eyes on a bike and to have them pass a practical timed evaluation at the end of the weekend. The skills you learn can be equivalent to six months riding experience.

If you do decide to DIY, then for the love of God practice threshold braking and swerving at a bare minimum.

All my close friends have taken a Motorcycle Safety Course, from any of the institutions out there. The curriculum is very similar, so use other criteria, like cost, choice of bikes and location to guide you. At the end of the day the paperwork reads M2.

P.s. If you ride in a group for a couple of days you'll start out with potentially twenty new riding buddies.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

To me it was well worth it. I've never been on a bike prior to the course and did not even purchase a bike before the course so I was starting from scratch. There is a good possibility that you might dump your bike while learning, this to me is worth $500 in itself. I DID dump the bike on the course but only cause another rider (a woman of course.........j/k) lost control and ran into me, but you never know.

If you rode in another country or rode dirt bikes a lot I can see how it might not be worth it.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

It was fun and good practice. Never been on a bike prior. Almost dropped my bike at a standstill as a result of braking hard and losing my balance got stuck in a position holding the bike 3 inches from hitting the ground until an instructor, I actually think it was Cat lol.... Helped me lift it up. I blame the fact that it was the second day riding for long hours on top of freezing cold temperatures for not being able to lift it up :$
    One person completely dropped the bike while walking it. Overall, it was a good experience and gave me an idea of what to do and what not to do. Well worth the money if you haven't been on a bike before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Worth it 200%. Not only will you learn valuable safety points but you will build your skills above what the test requires which will help with confidence on the street. Also big highlight is you learn on the schools bikes. So if you drop it wont matter.
    hahaha, so glad i took the course!

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    ...One person completely dropped the bike while walking it...
    I think everybody should drop their bikes at least once...

The $$$ signs disappear and you can ride it like it was meant to be ridden. Even Valentino has his off days...

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

From a financial perspective only. Not only will you will save money off your insurance in the first few years. But the course is also tax deductable. Similiar to tuition fees. This only applies if you take it an approved College. Not sure if RTI qualifies. So in the long run the course will most likely pay for itself.

Then there is the benifit of learning in a safe environment on someonelses bike.

Definately worth it for a new rider.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 03-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Consider the course as probably one of the best motorcycle related purchases you can make.
    In some cases students taking the course that have never even touched a motorcycle in their life come out better riders in the first day of the course than self-taught riders of 20+ years.
    They will teach you life saving skills, but also a fun filled weekend with passionate individuals that share very real experiences.
    You'll probably save just as much, maybe more on your insurance if you take a course that is CSC (Canadian Safety Council) certified (Centennial, Humber etc).
    Last edited by Serialize; 03-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Like Ron said, people drop their bike at one point or another usually in the process of learning to ride. If you were to drop a bike, this is the place to do it. Depending on bike, a simple drop can cost you well over $500 to fix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD