HOV Lanes - Greater Toronto Area - City (Toront) and using on Highway404

Thread: HOV Lanes - Greater Toronto Area - City (Toront) and using on Highway404

HOV Lanes - Greater Toronto Area - City (Toront) and using on Highway404

I work in Don Mills and come down Leslie/Don Mills Rd from Richmond Hill on my bike. It's nice to use the HOV lanes on Don Mills except of course for the Bus ruts at bus stops which I understand they are fixing this Spring/Summer

Going North back to Richmond Hill I enter Don Valley Parkway just North of Eglinton. At Sheppard on Hwy 404 there is an HOV lane. This section of Highway from Eglinton all the way up has got to be one of the most dangerous highways around with all the lane switching going on and I have seen more than my share of Bikers getting cut off including myself from cages.

So my question. I understand that there is a movement from an Organization to the Province to allow Motorcycles on the Highway HOV Lanes. Does anyone know how this is coming or who is spear heading it?

I have seen a lot of bikes use the Hwy 404 HOV Lanes with only themselves on their bikes. I have done it myself occasionally. I can tell you that the HOV lane is the safest way for a motorcyle to travel on Hwy 404 and I'm sure on other highways as well. And you actually feel safer.

Has anyone else here used the HOV lanes? Is there a general concensus that the OPP ignore Motorcycles? I have never seen one pulled over.
    2004 Honda 750 Shadow. Always looking to ride with fellow Cruisers. Richmond Hill area. Been riding for a long time off and on. M

Re: HOV Lanes - Greater Toronto Area - City (Toront) and using on Highway404

I've used the HOV lane only when carrying a passenger. I'm not going to attempt to use it without a 2nd person. I doubt the OPP would ignore motorcycles. It's an extra chance for a successful conviction, so why should they turn a blind eye?

Also, during rush hour, I don't feel safe in the HOV lanes, either on my bike or in a car. Too many people dart in and out of the HOV lanes and the difference in speed can be quite large at times; I don't want to become a hood ornament.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

from the MTO website

3. Who can use HOV lanes?

HOV lanes on provincial highways are reserved for vehicles carrying at least two people (i.e. a driver plus at least one passenger) in any of the following passenger vehicles: Cars, minivans, motorcycles, pickup trucks, taxis, and limousines.

Buses of all types can use an HOV lane at any time, regardless of the number of occupants.
    Emergency vehicles (police, fire, ambulance) are exempt from the restrictions.

4. Who cannot use HOV lanes?

• Single occupant vehicles, including cars, minivans, motorcycles, and pickup trucks.
    • Commercial trucks greater than 6.5 metres long and with a gross weight of greater than 4,500 kg.
    • Vehicles towing a trailer that makes the combined length of the two units greater than 6.5 metres long.
    • Taxis or limousines not carrying a fare.

cannot use them legally, if it's just you and the bike

info taken from here

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra.../hov/faq.shtml

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

No harm done until you get caught.

your are correct, but this might hurt

The penalty for improper HOV lane use is a fine of $110 and three demerit points.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

+1...

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Also, during rush hour, I don't feel safe in the HOV lanes, either on my bike or in a car. Too many people dart in and out of the HOV lanes and the difference in speed can be quite large at times; I don't want to become a hood ornament.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

I've used the HOV lane only when carrying a passenger. I'm not going to attempt to use it without a 2nd person. I doubt the OPP would ignore motorcycles. It's an extra chance for a successful conviction, so why should they turn a blind eye?

I've seen bikes pulled over. The cops do care. And I've only been on the HOV lanes with/or as a passenger. Never just me and my bike. Not worth the points to me as I won't let silly stuff take my license away and I've been close once already.

But frankly I dont see how any highway lane is safe really. I've been passed by a car using the shoulder to get passed me. If they want to do something stupid they will regardless where you are, your lane position etc etc.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    I've seen bikes pulled over. The cops do care. And I've only been on the HOV lanes with/or as a passenger. Never just me and my bike. Not worth the points to me as I won't let silly stuff take my license away and I've been close once already.

But frankly I dont see how any highway lane is safe really. I've been passed by a car using the shoulder to get passed me. If they want to do something stupid they will regardless where you are, your lane position etc etc.
    Passed by a car on the shoulder, with a speed difference of 10 km/h? I know that if any contact is made, it won't be a pretty result, but wearing proper gear could potentially make a bad situation a walk away from the accident situation.

The difference in speed in the HOV lane could be 50+ km/h. Thats a recipe to become a hood ornament for a SUV.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Passed by a car on the shoulder, with a speed difference of 10 km/h? I know that if any contact is made, it won't be a pretty result, but wearing proper gear could potentially make a bad situation a walk away from the accident situation.

The difference in speed in the HOV lane could be 50+ km/h. Thats a recipe to become a hood ornament for a SUV.
    It was a stupid scenerio and to highlight stupidity.... it was practically stop and go DVP traffic.

But it serves as an example of just how stupid some drivers really are!
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/