Question on licence for trackdays

Thread: Question on licence for trackdays

Question on licence for trackdays

Hi all,
    I,m new on here and am looking for a little information.

I am from Ireland and my wife and i are concidering moving to canada with our little girl. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if: (1) I can use my Irish bike licence to do trackdays? (2) will an Irish racing licence do? (3) will i have to get a canadian bike licence or racing licence?

My other question is: What should I expect to pay for a track/racebike in Canada? At the moment I have a 2007 GSXR 750 racebike which is well kitted out, extras include : power commander, quickshifter, sigma slipper clutch, ohlins TTX back shock & front 25mm internals, GPR steering damper, full M4 exhaust, brembo front master cylinder, over size rad, rearsets, braded lines and a few other bits.

I would be looking for something close to what i have already or would I be better to ship the bike over?

Thanks in advance

Re: Question on licence for trackdays

check out the classifieds section on this site to get an idea of what they are going for. Or try kijiji. Typically bikes are cheaper if you get them out of the states for the street, but there are plenty of track bikes going around. If you want something say 5 years old, a used trackbike in the 600-1000 range, expect around $5000, depending on the number of goodies. Most track days do not require anything, some require a drivers license (although I have never been asked to verify this).

As far as race licenses, I believe they are association dependant, but I can't really comment. I'm sure one of the SOAR or RACE guys will chime in.

Whats the price to ship your bike? Any imported vehicle must go through the RIV, check RIV.ca for details if your planning to use it on the street. If your just using it on the track, you don't need to register it I believe. I think your supposed to for any vehicle you own, but no one is checking.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

No need for any sort of license at all for track-days here.

Pricing for race / track bikes is all over the map. The one you have has a fair bit of the right goodies on it, the cheaper so-called "track bikes" are usually just street bikes that have been crashed with nothing put into them. Your best bet is to look on the internet forums where the local roadracing crowd hangs out, and here's the link to that one ... http://www.cherrypickerracing.com/forum/default.asp

If you want to bring the bike to Canada, it will have to be brought in strictly as a race bike, it cannot be made road-legal because of the stupid discrepancies between NAFTA and UN-ECE standards. Even if the only difference between the European and North American models is the compliance label and nothing else, you're not allowed to do it. Even if the European bike is built to conform to Euro 3 emission standards (which are stricter than ours) it's still not accepted as compliant with the less-stringent North American standards, just because it has the wrong compliance label on it and you're not allowed to change it. Dumb, but there's nothing that can be done about it. Anyway, if you are bringing it in as a track-only bike, you won't have this problem.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-index-446.htm

That page doesn't talk about non-street-legal vehicles. There is a process for them, but you may have to call Transport Canada (phone number is on that page) in order to find out how to do it.

By the way, there are two local roadracing organizations, RACE and SOAR.

www.shannonville.com for the first one
    www.soaracing.ca for the second

You'll have to buy their local license but I'm sure either one would accept your Irish one as proof that you've done it in the past ... hope to see you out there, I am pro number 64 in both organizations on a tired old Yamaha FZR400.

Quote Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
    Hi all,
    I,m new on here and am looking for a little information.

I am from Ireland and my wife and i are concidering moving to canada with our little girl. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if: (1) I can use my Irish bike licence to do trackdays? (2) will an Irish racing licence do? (3) will i have to get a canadian bike licence or racing licence?

My other question is: What should I expect to pay for a track/racebike in Canada? At the moment I have a 2007 GSXR 750 racebike which is well kitted out, extras include : power commander, quickshifter, sigma slipper clutch, ohlins TTX back shock & front 25mm internals, GPR steering damper, full M4 exhaust, brembo front master cylinder, over size rad, rearsets, braded lines and a few other bits.

I would be looking for something close to what i have already or would I be better to ship the bike over?

Thanks in advance
    Shipping bikes in from the UK & Ireland is expensive and quite a pita. Canadian Customs have some very strict rules about importing from these areas and, as Brian P says, you'd need to import it as a race bike and you'd need a race licence or a letter from a race organisation stating that you're a racer and you're importing this bike for racing only. I looked at bringing my lads bike over from the UK and in the end I decided it just wasn't worth the time and money. Bikes are way cheaper here and you can pick up salvage bikes easily enough in the US and build your own. Or buy one ready built. A decent, comparable one would be about around $7000 i'd imagine.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Thanks for the info, its been a great help.
    It looks like the most hastle free thing to do would be to sell off what i have here and put the money into buying something over there. Could be the excuse I was looking for to get a R6 ha ha
    Last edited by kneeslider; 03-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    By the way, there are two local roadracing organizations, RACE and SOAR.

www.shannonville.com for the first one
    www.soaracing.ca for the second

You'll have to buy their local license but I'm sure either one would accept your Irish one as proof that you've done it in the past ... hope to see you out there, I am pro number 64 in both organizations on a tired old Yamaha FZR400.
    If we do make the move i'm sure our paths will cross .... I'll be the tired old fella on something to fast for me

Just as long as your not one of those road racing nutters.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Just as long as your not one of those road racing nutters.
    thought about it once upon a time but its not a wise move when your a family man.

a few trackdays a year keeps me happy