Any window and doors guys here?

Thread: Any window and doors guys here?

Any window and doors guys here?

I get a million and one advertisements for windows and doors every week, but I don't know which companies are trustworthy and which to avoid.

I want to replace one basement window which will likely be a custom size, a kitchen window, and possibly the patio door.

Any suggestions who to contact for an estimate?

Re: Any window and doors guys here?

I used these guys. Great service, product and pricing. I had excellent quality windows installed for less than it would have cost me to buy entry level windows at Home Depot and install myself. Did everything as promised. I plan to use them again.

I would suggest checking out this thread: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merge...-doors-633922/

I got all my windows replaced just before winter
    I used Simon and Sons http://www.simonandsons.ca/index.html Thay did a great job and price was the best out there. got 4 quotes.
    "Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of bad experience comes from bad judgment."

Many manufacturers are window assemblers, the vinyl and aluminum extrusions are brought in.
    The pricing is all over the map and everybody has a sale on, all the time. That said, you want energy star rating and Low-e glass IMHO. What you spend depends how long your staying in the house, you get better money for quality windows but most buyers can tell new from old, thats it.
    I'm a big fan of "0" maintenence exteriors so aluminum or vinyl, casements seal better than sliders, and I prefer french type doors over sliders for a patio, but thats me. I bought mine from VentraLux in Cambridge , Armour is the manufacturer (not cheap)

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming.

I've started by booking a free estimate with the first suggestion which was from JZ67, and will go from there. I will get a few estimates, and search the company's ratings online.

I also prefer French swinging doors than my 23 year old crappy sliding patio door... which lets bugs and lots of cold air in. I've read that you can get doors that swing both ways -- either in or out -- is that right? If so which would be better?

you can get doors that swing either way (insert punchline here) , residential doors swing in, commercial doors out. Its a commercial out so the door lets you run out of a burning building, residential swing in so when the snow builds up outside you aren't trapped in the house. This is really where that came from in the building regs.
    We have swing in here, 2 sets and swing out at the cottage, three sets accoss the front, it was a design decision there, but I think on my house i like in swing.

I was amazed when we pulled the 30yr old windows out of this house, pinned in place with 3-4 nails and minimal fiberglass batt shoved in around (what do you want for 500k?), new ones are foamed in place and really quiet compared to the crappy sliders.

A great showroom to look at is Ridley window in Campbellville , just off 401 at guelph line. Excellent service and installers, and a nice bike ride out there.