Signed a form that I would not drive parents' vehicle...

Thread: Signed a form that I would not drive parents' vehicle...

Signed a form that I would not drive parents' vehicle...

Hi folks,

2 years ago, I was living with my parents and because I had a major conviction on my record, their insurance broker made me sign a form saying that I understood I would not be covered if I drove one of their vehicles. Now, I've lived on my own since then and I visit my parents on the weekend and would like to borrow their vehicle occasionally. Is this signed agreement still effective? The insurance broker says it won't be void until my conviction comes of my record this year. Does anyone have any experience with this? Appreciate any constructive input you may have.

Re: Signed a form that I would not drive parents' vehicle...

Call the insurance company to confirm. Get it in writing if they say you can drive your parent's vehicle.

I had signed that waiver as well. The insurance broker told us that since I was living with them, I had to sign that waiver so they can get a reasonable insurance quote. My mother asked, what if I didn't live in the house and he sad that I would be covered. I'm still not on the policy, and I still live at home but I'm covered since I just bought my own car and own insurance.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by paulf2k View Post
    Hi folks,

2 years ago, I was living with my parents and because I had a major conviction on my record, their insurance broker made me sign a form saying that I understood I would not be covered if I drove one of their vehicles. Now, I've lived on my own since then and I visit my parents on the weekend and would like to borrow their vehicle occasionally. Is this signed agreement still effective? The insurance broker says it won't be void until my conviction comes of my record this year. Does anyone have any experience with this? Appreciate any constructive input you may have.

I had that as well and when I moved out my mom had to go in and tell them I moved out.
    As long as your parents haven't said anything about you moving out to their insurance company the waiver is still valid.
    Tell them to go into their insurance and say you moved and ask them to remove that waiver.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by rideitlikeyoustoleit View Post
    I'm still not on the policy, and I still live at home but I'm covered since I just bought my own car and own insurance.
    Your covered for your vehicle, You still have no insurance and your parents can get charged with insurance fraud if you are caught driving their car.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

When you get insurance, the premium is based on all operators in the household. At the time that your Mom was getting her policy, you were still living at home (and hence still in the household). You would have signed an OPCF28a driver exclusion endorsement so that your Mom's premium wouldn't be affected by your high-risk record. Now that you are out of the house, your Mom must notify her insurer and ask that the endorsement be removed. Don't touch the car until you've received confirmation from the insurer.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Iv signed the form aswell.
    you have to send in a letter of adress change from the mto (you get it when you change your adress)

When a 28A endorsement (the form that you signed) is added onto a policy, it stays on each year that the policy is renewed and issued by the company. Each year, an underwriter will take a look at the policy and decide whether to leave the 28A on, or take it off. If your major conviction is still on your record, then the 28A is still in effect until your mom's next renewal. Sometimes, a company will even request a signed letter by both insured (your mom) and excluded driver (you) outlining that you have moved out, and that you do not have access to the vehicle before they remove the 28A. If you refuse to sign that letter, then they have a right to keep the 28A on (I think), even though you claim you've moved out. Thing is, it's so easy to change address on a Driver's Licence, that it doesn't really mean all that much to insurance companies these days.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    When you get insurance, the premium is based on all operators in the household. At the time that your Mom was getting her policy, you were still living at home (and hence still in the household). You would have signed an OPCF28a driver exclusion endorsement so that your Mom's premium wouldn't be affected by your high-risk record. Now that you are out of the house, your Mom must notify her insurer and ask that the endorsement be removed. Don't touch the car until you've received confirmation from the insurer.
    Thanks to all your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks Hara View Post
    When a 28A endorsement (the form that you signed) is added onto a policy, it stays on each year that the policy is renewed and issued by the company. Each year, an underwriter will take a look at the policy and decide whether to leave the 28A on, or take it off. If your major conviction is still on your record, then the 28A is still in effect until your mom's next renewal. Sometimes, a company will even request a signed letter by both insured (your mom) and excluded driver (you) outlining that you have moved out, and that you do not have access to the vehicle before they remove the 28A. If you refuse to sign that letter, then they have a right to keep the 28A on (I think), even though you claim you've moved out. Thing is, it's so easy to change address on a Driver's Licence, that it doesn't really mean all that much to insurance companies these days.
    My mom called and explained that i moved out and the insurance broker apparently yelled at her and told her it doesnt matter that i moved out, i still cannot use their vehicles until my major conviction is off the record. Sounds like the situation you are describing. Should i contact the underwriter to get this straightened out?

My mom called and explained that i moved out and the insurance broker apparently yelled at her and told her it doesnt matter that i moved out, i still cannot use their vehicles until my major conviction is off the record. Sounds like the situation you are describing. Should i contact the underwriter to get this straightened out?
    Sounds like your SOL. They obviously don't like whatever your major conviction is and have no trust in you as a driver.
    2001 CBR F4i

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Your covered for your vehicle, You still have no insurance and your parents can get charged with insurance fraud if you are caught driving their car.
    I spoke with my insurance and they said that since I have my own insurance, I am able to drive her vehicle.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I spoke with my insurance and they said that since I have my own insurance, I am able to drive her vehicle.
    not if you have previously signed 28A

Have you asked her insurance? I'm sure they will be singing a different tune.
    Insurance doesn't get transfered to whatever vehicle your driving, Your insurance has absolutely nothing to do with driving her car.
    2001 CBR F4i

switch insurance companies?
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

The broker "yelled" at her? If true, that's not professional at all. What prompted the angry response from the broker? Even if the broker doesn't want to insure your Mom without you signing an OPCF28a (perhaps they suspect foul play?), they don't have to get angry about it.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    The broker "yelled" at her? If true, that's not professional at all. What prompted the angry response from the broker? Even if the broker doesn't want to insure your Mom without you signing an OPCF28a (perhaps they suspect foul play?), they don't have to get angry about it.
    Its a portuguese broker and i guess my mom being an immigrant portuguese, they assume they can act like the old country...but when i call her that definitely isnt going to fly.

EDIT: After reading the form, it seems rather ambiguous and makes no mention of address being a factor. So it looks like I am SOL. So in the near future, can we expect to see a obligatory OPCF28a to ensure your uncle with a dirty record signing the form to make sure he doesnt drive your car, while living 2 towns over?
    Last edited by paulf2k; 03-26-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: new info

Its a portuguese broker and i guess my mom being an immigrant portuguese, they assume they can act like the old country...but when i call her that definitely isnt going to fly.

EDIT: After reading the form, it seems rather ambiguous and makes no mention of address being a factor. So it looks like I am SOL. So in the near future, can we expect to see a obligatory OPCF28a to ensure your uncle with a dirty record signing the form to make sure he doesnt drive your car, while living 2 towns over?
    If you had never lived at home while being a high risk driver you probably never would have had to sign the 28a. Since you have put it in writing you should really get cancellation in writing.

If my broker didn't have time to give me a civil answer to a question I would call the insurance company and see if I could transfer the policy to a different broker.