New fella from Ireland

Thread: New fella from Ireland

New fella from Ireland

hi all,
    Just a little about myself, I am from Ireland and have been on bikes for a little over 20 years. At the moment I have a 2002 R1 and a 2007 GSXR750 racebike. Over the years i have toured a lot of Europe on bikes (the best way to see it) and I also love to go to the track. My wife and I are conicdering moving to Canada with our little girl so I,m looking to see how things work, licence, insurance etc.

Re: New fella from Ireland

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've been to Europe many times, unfortunately didn't experience it from the saddle, but it's on my bucket list for sure. Hope everything works out with your move to Canada. Here we have many nice roads. You can ride for hours in every direction and still be in the same province and if you got tired of that you can ride all the great roads in the US. The only drawback is the winter.

Welcome!!

Welcome to the forum.

In parts of Canada the roads are amazing and while others not so much, so it all depends on which province you are considering moving to. One thing is for certain, the roads here are nothing like what you have in Ireland. There are two drawbacks... winter and the cost of insurance (again depending on which province you move to)!

As for licencing, I don't think your current licence would transfer, so you may have to go through the whole licencing process here. As for insurance, I'm not sure if companies here would recognize your previous experience or not... so you may end up paying the price for being a new driver/rider. I would post your question in the insurance section and let one of the experts chime in.

Any ways, good luck. Cheers.

Welcome brother

Welcome aboard. Ireland might be on the list of the countries with a straight up exchange of licenses.. You'll have to double-check with the Ontario ministry of transportation site. Ontario's roads are nothing to write home about, but we have a few tracks.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Welcome!! With the insurance companies I work with, chances are you'll start at the beginning/new rider for the first year but will see your rates drop by half for the second year and going forwards. Your age will also help you get better rates - I assume you're 30+ (married, kids, 20yrs bike experience). It also might be wise to get everything insured with one company - house, car, bike etc.. I can only speak for the province of Ontario though - I know that both Quebec and British Columbia for example, have really nice roads, and are beautiful places to live - and insurance is sometimes a fraction of what it is in Ontario (their rates and coverages are provided in part by the provincial government - whereas Ontario is all private)
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

thanks for all the info and the welcome

welcome.........

Where in Ireland are you from? Last time I was there in 2001 doing a bicycle tour of the southwest. Saw lots of bikes going the the Hairy Azz Rally.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Welcome... check out the Canadian job market before you take the plunge.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)