Helmet Colour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Colour

Helmet Colour

I'm shopping for a new helmet and am wondering if colour really does help with being seen in traffic. I've seen a neon green that I really liked, but if I can't find it in the correct helmet for me, does anyone think white is a good choice? Does helmet colour help at all? Thanks!

Re: Helmet Colour

White is kinda blah.

Get something like this.

White sticks out a lot. My next one will be white

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

White is great. Pink might get noticed more though.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Absolutely! Try to be more visible to others. The number one excuse of all cagers is `` I didn't see the motorcyclist``

My helmet is black. But I wrap it with Christmas lights, caution tape, and live flares.

I kid. Visible is good.

The one I saw was Scorpion, but I'm not sure about the modular "transformer" idea. Just hard to believe that something that you can remove from the helmet wouldn't come off easily if hit. Charles, that is the colour for sure. The other one I have come across is this: http://www.compacc.com/p/HJC-Symax-3-Hi-Viz-Helmets-III Hope the link works, it's my first time posting one. I'm hearing so many conflicting things about helmet colour. Some are saying having a visible helmet doesn't help at all, but I find that hard to fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post

I wear neon yellow helmet and jacket. It's working- I am still alive! LOL
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgayle View Post
    ...... ... Some are saying having a visible helmet doesn't help at all, .......
    Wonder who ever said something like that?

Our eyes are most sensitive to colours in the yellow-greenish spectrum. So bright yellow-greenish helmets should be best.
    Red helmets turn black at night.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

Fit and foremost, make sure the helmet you want fits and is comfortable. Next make sure it is within your budget, lastly pick the colour you want/like. I will agree that a "brighter" helmet may help get you noticed, but with all the distraction drivers face (mostly caused by themselves) your skill and foresight will be your biggest ally. Good luck with you search for a helmet and ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Jampy00 View Post
    Fit and foremost, make sure the helmet you want fits and is comfortable. Next make sure it is within your budget, lastly pick the colour you want/like.
    Bingo.
    I gave up the colour scheme that I was lusting over when I found a plain black Arai Vector 2 that fit like a glove.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. Wormburner, if I could wrap my head in flashing Christmas lights, believe me, I would

Lighter coloured helmets are probably a good idea. They certainly are easier to see. But, don't rely on being seen to be safe. Other drivers will still not see you even if you are covered in Christmas lights.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Fit is definitely important! Bright colour certainly doesn't hurt. I found I got a LOT more looks when I wore my red mohawk on my Shoei. Didn't protect me from idiots...it did seem to help make them aware of me though. I just bought this helmet and I love it....the fit is amazing! Gets an unusual amount of attention too...

Last edited by Nyx13; 03-25-2012 at 10:15 PM.

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampy00 View Post
    Fit and foremost, make sure the helmet you want fits and is comfortable. Next make sure it is within your budget, lastly pick the colour you want/like. I will agree that a "brighter" helmet may help get you noticed, but with all the distraction drivers face (mostly caused by themselves) your skill and foresight will be your biggest ally. Good luck with you search for a helmet and ride safe!
    QFT.

Good gear, high visibility is important (IMHO). So are your skills. None more than the other (depending on the situation). One avoids the trouble in the first place, and the other protects you if the first one doesn't work out well.

I have heard really good things about David L Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. In fact, I just bought a copy of it tonight from Chapters.

Safe riding all!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx13 View Post
    Fit is definitely important! Bright colour certainly doesn't hurt. I found I got a LOT more looks when I wore my red mohawk on my Shoei. Didn't protect me from idiots...it did seem to help make them aware of me though. I just bought this helmet and I love it....the fit is amazing! Gets an unusual amount of attention too...

You're such an ass
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    You're such an ass
    Yup

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    That might go well with my jacket. People keep saying I look like a transformer.