Random track visits - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random track visits

Re: Random track visits

Another option.......

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.co...ool_intro.html

Some people like to use their own bike, as perhaps they would like to get to know it better with the comfort of riding it on a track. Risk of crashing? Sure. Thats the risk you take. Just like the street........its all in how hard you push., except on the track its safer.

Highly, highly recommmend taking some type of "intro to track" course before partaking of a proper track day.

Oh crap I just saw all the other posts! hmm... crashing is not something I thought about. (not this early anyhoo) I figured I have done okay on the street maybe that somewhat translates. But now since I am freaked out that I am going to do a faceplant on my first turn, I think I will think about at least doing an intro to trackdays course first.

Thanks for all the links to the beginner programs at all the various tracks, I will decide on one shortly.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

Food for thought, i did a track day at Mosport with my own street bike a few years ago.

I decided i wanted to take a closer look at all the pretty grass at turn 2, needless to say i needed a new bike after the excursion. It wasn't too bad for me my bike was old and didn't owe me anything, but if it was a newer bike that i crashed it could have been a $7000-$10,000 track day.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    All 4 of the first timers that came with me crashed in either their first or second days......that's how I figure. I don't bother anymore.
    But hey, I guess the least experienced riders that have no idea where the limits are and barely know where the track is going should not be crashing. They give the beginners special instruction their first time to minimize the damage.
    I hear you. I dunno but it's interesting to look for patterns that are likely to cause people to crash, and in those cases you mention it might have been a question of the riders trying to keep pace, even just subconsciously, with their track buddies. Kinda like newbies on a group ride, there is some pressure to perform and show well.

I don't have much first hand experience with people who've crashed but now that I think about it, the ones I know of were the slower guys amongst a group of friends.

Anyways, just an interesting hypothesis I think.
    There is no planet B.

Not everyone crashes right away, it's all about the rider and what's between his/her ears. Don't expect to crash, that'll just have you nervous. Having fun and learning the track should be the only thing you worry about. The ones most likely to crash are total newbs or people that think they have more talent than they do.

If you are going to "performance" ride, you're going to crash. It is part of the game.
    If you don't crash, you're not trying hard enough.

On race day it is either win, blow up or crash.
    Winning is the cheapest.

I didn't realize track days were so serious.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    The goal is to go fast. Trying hard often makes you go slow.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    If you are going to "performance" ride, you're going to crash. It is part of the game.

On race day it is either win, blow up or crash.
    Winning is the cheapest.
    Not sure about this philosophy. Sure crashes can happen at the track. But track days aren't for racing or "winning". They offer a chance to improve riding skills as well as to ride closer to one's limit. How far one goes to the edge of their limit just depends on the individual, their bike, and their comfort zone. I don't think crashing at a trackday is expected or required in order to be considered riding hard enough.
    Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. H.S. Thompson

^^ agreed
    I never crashed until I reached Red Group and got real comfortable there, started pushing the bike and my personal limits. It's also important to point out that if your going to crash a bike it's better that it happens at a track for numerous reasons.
    Last edited by R1Guy; 03-30-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Me and a mate watched this guy turn up late to a trackday last April at Jennings. He rushed to unload a 2008 GSXR1000 in full street trim and a 2009 R1 again in full street trim. He was running late and panicking all over the place. He went out for his first session (third of the day) on the GSXR and crashed as he came into turn 1 after his out lap. He snapped the frame. That was his day done. He just about completed 1 ful lap and totalled about $7000 worth of bike.

His mate turned up the next morning and took out the R1. He proceeded to crash heading into turn 1 at the beginning of his second full lap. He didn't snap his frame but bent forks, totalled most of the street plastics + all the other stuff which bends and breaks when a bike cartwheels across tarmac and hard, dry infield.

Three full laps between them and about $15000 worth of damage. So **** does happen and sometimes it comes along like buses. Sometimes it doens't happen for ages. For some people it never happens. But last time I looked there aren't any crash quotas handed out by trackday organisers.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Damn.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

That belongs in the stupid people thread.