Random track visits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random track visits

Random track visits

Hey I was wondering from all the more experienced track people out there if you guys do the track days specifically to race or can someone just on a random day, just drive in with their bike (or trailer), and pay, and do a few laps just for fun? Not to race others, just to go on the track without the worry of a pace, just to learn to lean, and take turns properly something I feel I cannot learn riding on the streets etc.. I know there are courses available, but what I am looking for is a place I can freely practice on my own (after paying to use the track).

I also read in the beginners guide that you can rent race prepped bikes already at the track, is that something that is worth doing, or should I just go out and buy myself a race specific bike?

Now that I got my truck and my bike together again, I am very much hoping for something like that somewhere..

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

Re: Random track visits

Lots of people ride at the track with no intentions of racing. Thats what 'track days' are. There is no actual racing.

Generally you have to pay for a full day though, not just a few laps. How many laps you choose to do is entirely up to you.

yes, you can do that. Nearly all track providers allow you to show up on the day and pay the fee. Verify with the provider first. i.e. pro6 lets you do this. You will pay a bit more, 15-40%, depending on the provider, you also run the risk of driving all the way to the track and finding out the novice group is full. The plus side of doing this is you can see what the weather is like. Riding in drizzle isn't as fun, but you do have the ability to learn the limits of your bike in the wet. Typically pre-registration ends 1 week before the track day, too far in advance to know what the weather is going to be.

You can rent bikes through schools like FAST, not usually at a regular track day, but its pricey (they argue otherwise, but at a beginner level where your not shredding expensive slicks, IMO it's a bit pricey). The insurance and the deductable are high. Most crashes are 50 to a few hundred bucks to fix (if you don't care too much about what your fairings look like), assuming its not a severer crash.

Read the bike prep carefully, each provider is slightly different, and lists the tech requirements on their website. There is a sticky in this thread about what you need for your first track day.

My advice, take the plunge, but be prepared for the addiction and cost.

EDIT: heres the link http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...rio-Track-Days
    Last edited by smergy; 03-23-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Pro 6 does trackdays and also rents bikes. Be prepared for a deposit

http://www.pro6cycle.com/Default.aspx

http://www.pro6cycle.com/TrackDays/BikeRentals.aspx

Not a comprehensive list but a great start point;

http://www.motorcycletrackdays.ca/

And to pre-empt your next question;

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...irst-track-day
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Lots of people ride at the track with no intentions of racing. Thats what 'track days' are. There is no actual racing.

Generally you have to pay for a full day though, not just a few laps. How many laps you choose to do is entirely up to you.
    I had no idea. I had always thought that going to the track meant automatically= racing. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by smergy View Post
    yes, you can do that. Nearly all track providers allow you to show up on the day and pay the fee. Verify with the provider first. i.e. pro6 lets you do this. You will pay a bit more, 15-40%, depending on the provider, you also run the risk of driving all the way to the track and finding out the novice group is full. The plus side of doing this is you can see what the weather is like. Riding in drizzle isn't as fun, but you do have the ability to learn the limits of your bike in the wet. Typically pre-registration ends 1 week before the track day, too far in advance to know what the weather is going to be.
    So I wouldn't be paying the actual "track", I would be paying someone who rents the track and sets up a "track day"? Do all tracks work like this (track providers)?
    Since I am just starting out, and may actually use my street bike, until I can find a track-only bike, which provider would you recommend I begin with? You mentioned that Pro6 lets you verify if there are open spots or that they let you be spontaneous?

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Pro 6 does trackdays and also rents bikes. Be prepared for a deposit

http://www.pro6cycle.com/Default.aspx

http://www.pro6cycle.com/TrackDays/BikeRentals.aspx
    Ooooh.. that is pricey. I am for sure going to use my street bike or get my own track bike. I am sure I can find a good cheap track bike soon enough. I mean I only want to learn to be a better rider, not to actually race anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Not a comprehensive list but a great start point;

http://www.motorcycletrackdays.ca/

And to pre-empt your next question;

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...irst-track-day
    That calendar is actually a great help, at least I know ahead of time whats coming up. I actually started reading those stickies already..

The last question I have is simply how much on average does it cost for a day at the track then with the different providers? Is it stagnant or does the price change based on something?

Thanks for your quick replies everyone..

Edit: I just registered at Pro6 website so I can register for track days online, and see the average price for a day. Awesome. Now I'm excited.
    Last edited by IRONLUNG; 03-23-2012 at 12:19 PM.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

many novice riders use their street bike as their track bike. Just be aware of the prep work, it can be be a PITA if you start going to a lot of track days. I use my street bike as my track bike its a pain to convert, but I love the track and my wife won't let me have 2.

Just be aware that you cannot run coolant at a track. Coolant is slippery and hard to clean up in the event of a crash. You must run water (with the option of adding water wetter). You need to take care of flushing your cooling system BEFORE you get to the track (along with the other technical requirements).

For pro 6 you can see right on their website how many spots are left, but they are the only ones that show you this information (as far as I know). If you pre-register you will have a confirmed spot. Some tracks, i.e. shannonville, grand bend and cayuga have a number of their "own" track days, its the same concept. I don't think mosport does this.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONLUNG View Post
    The last question I have is simply how much on average does it cost for a day at the track then with the different providers? Is it stagnant or does the price change based on something?
    I've paid anything from $90 (Cayuga Thursday) up to $260 (Calabogie with Turn 2). Price depends on day of week, track and organiser. A realistic budget price would be between $125 and $240 a day plus taxes dependent on track.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONLUNG View Post
    I had no idea. I had always thought that going to the track meant automatically= racing. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ooooh.. that is pricey. I am for sure going to use my street bike or get my own track bike. I am sure I can find a good cheap track bike soon enough. I mean I only want to learn to be a better rider, not to actually race anyone.

That calendar is actually a great help, at least I know ahead of time whats coming up. I actually started reading those stickies already..

Thanks for your quick replies everyone..

Edit: I just registered at Pro6 website so I can register for track days online, and see the average price for a day. Awesome. Now I'm excited.
    Most people crash during their first or second track day.

How do you figure most? I'd say least.

People crash once they get a little comfortable and decide to start pushing their comfort level, which doesn't happen the 1st or 2nd day out. Or instead of looking at it in terms of WHEN people crash in their learning progression, looking at it as a proportion of all those who do crash, even then the very beginner riders don't stand out to me as being common crashers at track days.

You might want to consider a track day provider that has experienced riders leading beginners around the track. Pro6 has a very organized system, but so too does Riders Choice. I've done RC's track days for years and they are great for beginners. Their days are also a smaller event with an easy going attitude.

Edit: if you aren't sure of how to prep your bike, and deal with transport, you can also have RC prep your bike and deliver it to and from the track, then just pick it back up from the shop. Saves a lot of headaches... the first few TD's you always forget something. Ask me how I know.. lol.
    Last edited by GRAYZ; 03-23-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    How do you figure most? I'd say least.

People crash once they get a little comfortable and decide to start pushing their comfort level, which doesn't happen the 1st or 2nd day out. Or instead of looking at it in terms of WHEN people crash in their learning progression, looking at it as a proportion of all those who do crash, even then the very beginner riders don't stand out to me as being common crashers at track days.
    All 4 of the first timers that came with me crashed in either their first or second days......that's how I figure. I don't bother anymore.
    But hey, I guess the least experienced riders that have no idea where the limits are and barely know where the track is going should not be crashing. They give the beginners special instruction their first time to minimize the damage.
    Last edited by murf; 03-23-2012 at 09:26 PM.

You could easily crash at Calabogie, corner 20 goes essentially off-camber mid-approach and Temptation/Deliverance needs 100% commitment, any changes in line could have consequences as it tightens up. I know I crashed on 20 on my third session...

I really don't think there's any hard/fast rule here. It took me three seasons of track days mixed with heats before I had my first track crash. I know another member here that had several on her first few days out, and still another here that told me he'd never done a sub-two minute lap on the Long Track after loads of practice and then lowsided on #5 following me on one. Everyone's got different limits, a different aptitude, different experiences and a different history.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
    Nice timing.
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Nice timing.
    Didn't want to cause drama on a Friday night, although it i thought it was funny lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
    Didn't want to cause drama on a Friday night, although it i thought it was funny lol.
    So did I, actually... it's all good
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

I crashed on my 3rd trackday. 1st session ever in the advanced group, 2nd lap.. got a little too excited.

Replaced brake lever, straightened out brake pedal, back on the track and only missed half a session. That was back in the days when I rode almost every lap, every session!

Another option for the OP would be to try the Racer5 intro program to try out the track.

This way all you need to worry about bringing is a lunch and your gear (gear rental is avaliable as well) and none of the expense of damaging your street bike or buying a track bike.
    You get a dedicated pro licensed instructor to cater your learning experience and you get to do it on our race prepped CBR125s.
    The CBRs are a much more forgiving than larger cc motorcycles that most start off on and lead to much faster rider development.

The Stage1 course is being held at Mosport RDT, Grand Bend and TMP and would be a great way to get introduced to the track.
    Its also a great value, at $349.99 is about the same price as trailering your own bike, using your own fuel, tires, renting a trailer, etc!

http://www.racer5.ca/index.php?optio...d=77&Itemid=61