Need insurance help asap

Thread: Need insurance help asap

Question Need insurance help asap

I'm a lady in her late 40's. I just got M1 and have had my full G license with no collisions for centuries now. The only problem I have with shopping for insurance is that I want to my son as a secondary rider on the bike. He is 20 years old and has had his M2 for about 3 years and g1-G for about 4 years. Every company is saying I can't have my son on the bike, that he would be excluded. I can't risk him riding my bike and getting in an accident obviously. Btw, the bike is a 2005 Yamaha R6. Any suggestions what company to try calling? The help is much appreciated. We live in southern Ontario, little south of Hamilton.
    Thanks,
    Diane.
    p.s. need help asap as I want to get insurance Friday so I can ride the bike home from the dealer that safetied the bike instead of having to trailer it home...

Re: Need insurance help asap

Quote Originally Posted by brian4571 View Post
    I'm a lady in her late 40's. I just got M1 and have had my full G license with no collisions for centuries now. The only problem I have with shopping for insurance is that I want to my son as a secondary rider on the bike. He is 20 years old and has had his M2 for about 3 years and g1-G for about 4 years. Every company is saying I can't have my son on the bike, that he would be excluded. I can't risk him riding my bike and getting in an accident obviously. Btw, the bike is a 2005 Yamaha R6. Any suggestions what company to try calling? The help is much appreciated. We live in southern Ontario, little south of Hamilton.
    Thanks,
    Diane.
    p.s. need help asap as I want to get insurance Friday so I can ride the bike home from the dealer that safetied the bike instead of having to trailer it home...
    What insurance companies have you tried calling?

Kind of weird having a username "brian4571" named Diane as a first post.

Anyways a 20 year old on an SS won't be cheap even if you do get him on as a secondary rider.

Statefarm and TD would be your best bet. You can also try RBC(?)

Recent rate for a rider under 25 from State Farm is 439/M (Approx) full coverage on a R6. Pay the premium for your son if its urgent. It's going to be a tough journey for the both of you. Good luck and please post what happens in the end.

I've been with Statefarm before, but they won't allow me to put my son on the bike at all, so if he crashed they wouldn't be liable. I'll be calling some other companies today to see if anyone else will allow to put my son as the secondary on the bike since I am legally the owner of the R6.

I've been with Statefarm before, but they won't allow me to put my son on the bike at all, so if he crashed they wouldn't be liable. I'll be calling some other companies today to see if anyone else will allow to put my son as the secondary on the bike since I am legally the owner of the R6.
    This is just the way it works. Insurance companies aren't stupid. If a company allowed a person's kids to be simply added to their bike policy as an occasional operator, then you would see a LOT of 40+ year olds riding SS bikes, with their kids just riding it "every once in a while".

You can certainly insure your R6, but your son isn't going to be allowed anywhere near it unless you want to pay the 20yo rate (and I don't even know if any insurance company would write a 20yo on a SS bike anyway). If you want to ride the R6, then your son will have to sign an OPCF28a exclusion, meaning that he is NOT insured if he ever touches the bike:

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/au.../a-03_05-1.pdf
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

There is no way around it bud. Unless you are rich as a mofo, lose the dream of riding a supersport at 20yrs old

Sounds like he would have to be the primary. It might be cheaper and better for the both of you for pick him up a used 250 and insure him on that if you can find for a reasonable rate. Then you can ride together and keep an eye on him
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Sorry Brian but its not just if you crash you aren't liable, If you get pulled over after signing the exclusion form then you are technically driving with no insurance as well which in turn brings a nice $5,000 fine and your Mom will have a hell of a time getting insurance after that.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

And what happens when the 90days expire on that M1 you just got? Seems like someone was getting a little ahead of themselves and thought they would work the system.

Hey, all the power to you. M1, new R6 as a first ride. Keep the rubber side down. Sorry if this seems a little harsh but, to be looking for insurance for a motorcycle this last minute and under these conditions seems a bit silly.

Nice to meet you Brian. Tell your mother she needs to know about this lol.