Fairing bolt stuck

Thread: Fairing bolt stuck

Fairing bolt stuck

The previous owner dropped the bike from what looks like a light drop which kind of shifted the fairing a bit out of its place. The bike is about 5 years old and I don't think it has EVER been undone. As I tried taking the bolt off it stripped a bit. I thought I was unable to do it because I was just a noob so I asked someone else with more experience with working with bikes for over 5 years and he wasn't able to do it.
    Can someone point me in the right direction of how to get this off? I'm thinking its this tight because its never been undone before since it came from the factory and possibly because it could have jammed in in from the drop(???).
    As this is not a last resort or too important, I do not think it is necessary to drill it out - I just want to place it back in its spot properly.

What kind of bolt is it? Allen head?

Re: Fairing bolt stuck

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    What kind of bolt is it? Allen head?
    Phillips

If it's fully stripped you're going to have to go with something like this unfortunately. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/5-pi...tor-set/918599

Not that much effort though. When you get the replacement screw, be sure not to overtighten! Honestly I think phillips screw heads are the worst design, square heads are where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by iegod View Post
    If it's fully stripped you're going to have to go with something like this unfortunately. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/5-pi...tor-set/918599

Not that much effort though. When you get the replacement screw, be sure not to overtighten! Honestly I think phillips screw heads are the worst design, square heads are where it's at.
    It's not completely stripped, I'd say theres about 60% of the lining(?)on the head left.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    It's not completely stripped, I'd say theres about 60% of the lining(?)on the head left.
    use the right size screwdriver....hammer it in with a hammer and twist with one motion...it might work.

What type of bike? I had an issue were the previous owner used lock-tight on the fairing bolts.

just use the right head screw driver... and dont give up.

if its one of those bolts with the rubber gasket thing (not bolted to the frame) see if you can squeeze a pair of needle nose pliers to the back end, while unscrewing it.

Use an impact driver. Make sure the head's the right size, push hard and let the driver do its work. If you're in the west end, we can do it with mine or borrow one from a friend who has a good number of tools. Don't mess with it any more until you've tried impact. The less you strip it, the better your chancees are.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]