Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection! - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection!

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Loud pipes save lives.
    This

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk

Re: Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection!

Speeding thru a busy downtown intersection. It's only a matter of time before something bad happens. Pedestrians are running around like chickens..oft times they don't see cars let alone a motorcycle. Hopefully you learned a lesson and slow down a bit in the future, even if the intersection looks clear. Especially if there's a person turning left obscuring your view!!!
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    She is in the 'should not leave the house' category.
    'nuff said - regardless of what you guys think of speeding, it is OBVIOUS she didn't even begin to start crossing (watch the video again if you doubt me) until after the light turned green. She realized she missed her crossing opportunity, and made a VERY VERY stupid move. I mean common, if you're gonna bolt across the street against traffic at least LOOK at what's coming your way!
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    'nuff said - regardless of what you guys think of speeding, it is OBVIOUS she didn't even begin to start crossing (watch the video again if you doubt me) until after the light turned green. She realized she missed her crossing opportunity, and made a VERY VERY stupid move. I mean common, if you're gonna bolt across the street against traffic at least LOOK at what's coming your way!
    Of course, but should one be flying through busy downtown streets knowing full well about all those chickens?? Naw...

"I am in the right" won't help you heal broken bones and spirits...
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Of course, but should one be flying through busy downtown streets knowing full well about all those chickens?? Naw...

"I am in the right" won't help you heal broken bones and spirits...
    glass houses my friend :P
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

The only way to be 100% in the right here, is to not be breaking the law when **** happens. I want to side with the rider, but I can't...dude should not be doing that kind of speed in such a busy part of town.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    Op, don't take this the wrong way but slow the f' down. Looks like that is the University area and you have to expect students constantly running against traffic (you can actually see many people jaywalking). Fault or not, as motorcyclist we need to be more aware of our surroundings and I would be going below the speed limit constantly scanning.

On the plus side good job on saving the bike and not focusing on the pedestrian, target fixation would of made this a lot worse.
    Yup, that's Church and Gould. I see the same thing every day, multiple times a day, and keep wondering when someone is going to die. Everyone seems to ignore the signals, just leaping out into traffic. They also just keep walking right out of the pedestrian mall zone, and into the active street, without a second thought.

I frequently have people doing the same thing to me at 6:00am, wearing dark clothing, and I'm amazed that I haven't gone pavement surfing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by UltrA_09 View Post
    Just to be clear, the light was green for more than 5 seconds. It's difficult to see on the youtube-quality video, but there's a clear green light before I passed the parked car.

There wasn't nearly enough time to stop. If you take a look at the video again, you'll notice the girl comes into view as I begin to enter the intersection. My instant reaction was to try my best to avoid hitting that pink blob as I was slowing down, and thankfully it paid off. If I didn't bother swerving slightly to the right, she would've been toast!

As for looking far ahead and scanning the road, I completely agree - that's a key method to help staying safe on the road, and what I try to do at all times. You might not have noticed, but as I was scanning the road before entering the intersection, I was also observing the pedestrian on the right (black t-shirt with skateboard) who was just about to cross the road while looking in the other direction.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that things happen a lot quicker when you're in the moment, compared to watching it on video. You really have no choice but to depend on your instinct reactions.

I'm happy to say that at the end of the day, my bike was unharmed with (what looks like) less than an inch worth of space
    Actually you would likely also have been toast, if you hadn't swerved slightly. She'd have clipped your left bar, throwing you down into the back of that parked car.

That whole stretch of road is dangerous, during school hours.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, the OP was going too quick for the situation, not absurdly fast but still not a comfortable speed through there... as I watched the video the first time there were a few spots were I was cringing and expecting bad things to happen before pinky showed up.

BUT - the car was going straight and did slow/stop in a huge hurry. Pinky without a doubt (in my opinion!) darted out against her signal, and most likely if she didn't see the car she didn't look at all and just bolted.

I've seen this before on Airport Rd., a young guy was crossing the road against his signal trying to catch a bus, he was focused on the bus and actually ran out and got hit by a tractor trailer. Its pedestrian target fixation. I stayed with the guy for a LONG time waiting for paramedic trying to keep him still but i don't think it ended well for him.

Regardless of the law (that is a little more pedestrian biased) pinky did a REALLY stupid thing and is extremely lucky. The rider did well to avoid her. This should be taken as a lesson by both of them and all of us.
    -1979 Honda CB650 (SOLD)
    -2006 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    -2007 25th Anniversary Honda VFR800 (+50k km)

Quote Originally Posted by 172Driver View Post
    Yes, the OP was going too quick for the situation, not absurdly fast but still not a comfortable speed through there... as I watched the video the first time there were a few spots were I was cringing and expecting bad things to happen before pinky showed up.

BUT - the car was going straight and did slow/stop in a huge hurry. Pinky without a doubt (in my opinion!) darted out against her signal, and most likely if she didn't see the car she didn't look at all and just bolted.

I've seen this before on Airport Rd., a young guy was crossing the road against his signal trying to catch a bus, he was focused on the bus and actually ran out and got hit by a tractor trailer. Its pedestrian target fixation. I stayed with the guy for a LONG time waiting for paramedic trying to keep him still but i don't think it ended well for him.

Regardless of the law (that is a little more pedestrian biased) pinky did a REALLY stupid thing and is extremely lucky. The rider did well to avoid her. This should be taken as a lesson by both of them and all of us.
    40% over the limit, in a heavy pedestrian area and with blocked sight-lines, is pretty close to "absurdly fast."

As an aside the taxi, that was signalling a left turn, was trying to go the wrong way down a one way street.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Taxi wasnt signalling.
    Just letting the pedestrian thru.

A set of stopped vehicles on a green light indicates a lot to me. I think of all these scenarios in a snap that would make a movie lol
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

was that chick asian? lol

The real question is this...

what was she doing outside of the kitchen?
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Quote Originally Posted by UJelly View Post
    The real question is this...

what was she doing outside of the kitchen?
    LOL

/end thread
    New to me for 2012.

rider going too fast, got lucky

I would have gotten off the bike and handed down an Arab slap or 2.

Damn Ryerson students!

You must be the guy who blocks the intersection, because it is green.
    Au contraire mon idiot! When it turns red it's no longer my right of way so I leave the intersection unblocked in case the light changes. Of course, then other drivers turning into my lane from the right (the same ones I'm being considerate of) figure they might as well go ahead and line up behind the guy in front of me. And that's when I shoot them in the back of the head.

So you have a problem with people exploiting their right of way? Do you figure traffic would be safer, more effective, or more pleasant if we all just waited for everyone else to go first even when it's our turn to go?
    There is no planet B.

But then, I come from a traffic that has a norm of this:

After driving in it, you learn NOT to take things like "right of way" granted so easily.
    THIS is what you offer as an example of what we should be doing?!?
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Regardless of who is at fault in the eyes of the law, she would have had nobody to blame but herself if she was injured as a result of her stupidity.
    I thought about it some more (hey, I'm open minded like that) and came to the conclusion that while the pedestrian would have been to blame for her actions, so would the rider. Assuming injury/collision did occur, any party not blaming themselves is either avoiding the truth or dead.

Either party in that situation should have reasonably foreseen the potential for a collision and as a result would have a personal responsibility to themselves (and arguably to others) to reduce the likelihood of the collision (i.e. adjust their behaviour accordingly). The pedestrian could have reasonably foreseen the consequences of entering a roadway (pedestrian crossing or not) when vehicles were moving, so she shouldn't have entered. The OP could have reasonably foreseen that pedestrians are abundant in downtown and frequently jaywalk, so he should have been riding with more caution.

When in doubt, assume everyone else is an idiot... the universe will rarely prove you wrong.

you almost dragged her ***** to the kitchen!!!!
    lets ride first, there is plenty of time to worry about other ******.
    www.youtube.com/rashidme

You have cars stopped at a green light, and jaywalkers crossing, and potential jaywalkers waiting for you.
    Would I stay under the limit ? At most I would do the limit.

But then, I come from a traffic that has a norm of this:

After driving in it, you learn NOT to take things like "right of way" granted so easily.
    which jungle is it??
    lets ride first, there is plenty of time to worry about other ******.
    www.youtube.com/rashidme