Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection! - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection!

Re: Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection!

Quote Originally Posted by silvrsurfr View Post
    My observation,

The car making the left hand turn was providing a blind spot for the pedestrian. She saw a clear way and ran for it hence she not noticing the bike until very last minute. In her mind there was no cars coming. Not a bike.
    The car wasn't making a left hand turn, it was stopped to let the stupid girl cross. Her presence was an obstacle to everyone.
    There is no planet B.

Lots of negative comments.
    Yea you could have been riding slower, yea you should have had a heads up when the car stopped for the dumb biatch, yea yea yea.
    Bottom line is that was damn close and you did a fantastic job of not smoking her.
    Good on you.
    Now slow the "&$& down .
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    The car wasn't making a left hand turn, it was stopped to let the stupid girl cross. Her presence was an obstacle to everyone.
    If that is true, then the cab driver is the real idiot for letting her cross, instead of taking the right of way.
    I hate it when people panic and stop in a straight piece of road creating a dangerous situation, just to let some bonehead pull out because he may have been nosing his way into traffic.
    Or in this case, a person that never learned how the pedestrian signal lights work in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    If that is true, then the cab driver is the real idiot for letting her cross, instead of taking the right of way.
    I hate it when people panic and stop in a straight piece of road creating a dangerous situation, just to let some bonehead pull out because he may have been nosing his way into traffic.
    Or in this case, a person that never learned how the pedestrian signal lights work in Canada.
    Kinda agree. Sometimes I wonder if people cede their right of way like this because they want to feel like the hero. "Look, I'm a wonderful, observant and courteous driver! Where's my gold star?"

F them, I'll shave mirrors off to cut someone off who doesn't have the right of way.
    There is no planet B.

Wow.. Good job of avoiding her OP. In my eyes it's 100% her fault. If I run onto the street blindly like that and get hit by a car/bike, I dont care if they were doing 50 km/h or 80; pedestrian should not have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHC1 View Post
    Wow.. Good job of avoiding her OP. In my eyes it's 100% her fault. If I run onto the street blindly like that and get hit by a car/bike, I dont care if they were doing 50 km/h or 80; pedestrian should not have been there.
    Too bad Ontario laws beg to differ.

Always wondered what would happen if someone decided to commit suicide by jumping in front of you car and you had no witnesses.

Yea right.

Because a green light is a god given right.

It doesn't matter if the rider was incapable of swirling/breaking at %40 over the speed limit.

And that's without realizing the girl to the left of the cab long before the intersection.

Edit:

OP - your are using only the 'pointing finger' to break in this extreme situation. Barely swirling. Speeding recklessly. Recklessly, because you are not checking over the top of the stopped cabbie.

Speeding is not an issue, as long as you take care of the risks that you create by increasing the speed.

But then if you were under the speed limit, and scanning the intersection as you enter it, you could be able to swirl far from the pedestrian, or at least, use your breaks much earlier and efficiently, so even if you hit then, it would have been a much smaller impact.

Also, you were lucky you didn't hit her with target fixation.
    Last edited by whetaus-tr; 03-23-2012 at 01:39 AM.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Kinda agree. Sometimes I wonder if people cede their right of way like this because they want to feel like the hero. "Look, I'm a wonderful, observant and courteous driver! Where's my gold star?"

F them, I'll shave mirrors off to cut someone off who doesn't have the right of way.
    You must be the guy who blocks the intersection, because it is green.

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    Yea right.

Because a green light is a god given right.

It doesn't matter if the rider was incapable of swirling/breaking at %40 over the speed limit.

And that's without realizing the girl to the left of the cab long before the intersection.

Edit:

OP - your are using only the 'pointing finger' to break in this extreme situation. Barely swirling. Speeding recklessly. Recklessly, because you are not checking over the top of the stopped cabbie.

Speeding is not an issue, as long as you take care of the risks that you create by increasing the speed.

But then if you were under the speed limit, and scanning the intersection as you enter it, you could be able to swirl far from the pedestrian, or at least, use your breaks much earlier and efficiently, so even if you hit then, it would have been a much smaller impact.

Also, you were lucky you didn't hit her with target fixation.
    Cmon man, what he did was not reckless. Sure he may have been going over the posted speed limit and he could have missed the point in which the girl started to jet from one side of the cross walk to the other which was in about a 1 1/2 sec time period at which it was to late to hit the brakes if he missed it, but kind of referring to my previous post, if you were heading down a street and a person decides to come out of nowhere and run in front of you, would you be able to react in time?

You stated "if you were under the speed limit, and scanning the intersection as you enter it, you could be able to swirl far from the pedestrian", would you be driving under the speed limit in an open lane on a green light? The way you're stating this is as if you slow down below the speed limit(which im pretty sure you dont) for every green light that you encounter to scan the intersection.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't since I usually slow down when approaching an intersection especially on a hill to take extra care incase there is oncoming traffic/pedestrians, but slowing down below the limit to predict that a pedestrian will pop in front of you to brake isn't ideal especially on a 50 road.

Luck did play a part in avoiding the collision - I agree with you on that.
    Last edited by PLau; 03-23-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Cmon man, what he did was not reckless. Sure he may have been going over the posted speed limit and he could have missed the point in which the girl started to jet from one side of the cross walk to the other which was in about a 1 1/2 sec time period at which it was to late to hit the brakes if he missed it, but kind of referring to my previous post, if you were heading down a street and a person decides to come out of nowhere and run in front of you, would you be able to react in time?

You stated "if you were under the speed limit, and scanning the intersection as you enter it, you could be able to swirl far from the pedestrian", would you be driving under the speed limit in an open lane on a green light? The way you're stating this is as if you slow down below the speed limit(which im pretty sure you dont) for every green light that you encounter to scan the intersection.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't since I usually slow down when approaching an intersection especially on a hill to take extra care incase there is oncoming traffic/pedestrians, but slowing down below the limit to predict that a pedestrian will pop in front of you to brake isn't ideal especially on a 50 road.

Luck did play a part in avoiding the collision - I agree with you on that.
    You have cars stopped at a green light, and jaywalkers crossing, and potential jaywalkers waiting for you.
    Would I stay under the limit ? At most I would do the limit.

But then, I come from a traffic that has a norm of this:

After driving in it, you learn NOT to take things like "right of way" granted so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    the question that should be asked is not whether the light was green for you when you hit her, its what the light was when she started crossing.
    Most certainly it was "don't walk" when she entered the intersection... and even if the OP was within the speed limit, it doesn't take long to go through that intersection. A split-second distraction to the OP could have gotten than young lady killed. She's clearly old enough to know what she was doing, and she knowingly risked her life. Regardless of who is at fault in the eyes of the law, she would have had nobody to blame but herself if she was injured as a result of her stupidity.

The Laws of Ontario may be on her side, but the Laws of Physics aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Most certainly it was "don't walk" when she entered the intersection... and even if the OP was within the speed limit, it doesn't take long to go through that intersection. A split-second distraction to the OP could have gotten than young lady killed. She's clearly old enough to know what she was doing, and she knowingly risked her life. Regardless of who is at fault in the eyes of the law, she would have had nobody to blame but herself if she was injured as a result of her stupidity.

The Laws of Ontario may be on her side, but the Laws of Physics aren't.
    "It doesn't take too long to go through that intersection", only if you are running.

That's pedestrian rule #1: Don't run (unless your life is in risk).

But as motorcyclists, dealing with all sorts of people in traffic, you should already know that some people are just too dumb. She is in the 'should not leave the house' category.

You have cars stopped at a green light, and jaywalkers crossing, and potential jaywalkers waiting for you.
    Would I stay under the limit ? At most I would do the limit.

But then, I come from a traffic that has a norm of this:

After driving in it, you learn NOT to take things like "right of way" granted so easily.
    So you admit the problem is not the rider, it's the foreign pedestrian and cab driver.
    Your video says it all, Canadians have a much better system, more respect and discipline, that's why we don't have "mad selfish chaos" like your foreign example.
    If they followed the simple rules of the road we created in Canada, i.e: not jaywalking or creating a dangerous situation blocking line of sight, this never would have happened.

"It doesn't take too long to go through that intersection"
    I was referring to the motorcyclist.

Imagine if a door opens and you're going at that speed? Ouch.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    It looks like you had more than enough time to see her and slow down...
    Why didn't you?

Not sure if you took a riding course or not, but I was taught to look as far ahead and scan the road for anything that might happen.
    As dumb as the girl is, I think you could of easily neutralized the situation had you actually slowed down.
    Really? Are you superman? The first time you see "Pinky" is at 00:23. When the rider hits the end of the intersection, the time is 00:24. That's 1 sec.

Are you saying you can see what's going on, decide what you are going to do, then do it in 1 sec? BULLSH!!!.

Even at 50km/h, the rider would of had 1.5 sec... Not enough time to react and brake.

She's lucky she's alive and probably didn't learn her lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Too bad Ontario laws beg to differ.
    Bull###. It doesn't take more then 5 secs to RUN 1/2 way through the intersection. She started running into the intersection when she had a "don't walk" signal. The "LAW" you mentioned says that if the pedestrian is half way through the intersection then the pedestrian has the right of way but that doesn't matter if she illegally ran into the intersection. There's no way she has the right of way. She is 100% at fault.

Duty of pedestrian or person in wheelchair

(4) No pedestrian or person in a wheelchair shall leave the curb or other place of safety at a pedestrian crossover and walk, run or move the wheelchair into the path of a vehicle or street car that is so close that it is impracticable for the driver of the vehicle or street car to yield the right of way. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 140 (4).

Pedestrian – stopping at red or amber light

(25) No pedestrian approaching a traffic control signal and facing a red or amber indication shall enter the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (25).

Pedestrian control signals – don’t walk

(27) No pedestrian approaching pedestrian control signals and facing a solid or flashing “don’t walk” indication shall enter the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (27).

Pedestrian right of way

(28 ) Every pedestrian who lawfully enters a roadway in order to cross may continue the crossing as quickly as reasonably possible despite a change in the indication he or she is facing and, for purposes of the crossing, has the right of way over vehicles. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (28 ).

Penalty for disobeying red light

(31.2.1) Every person who contravenes subsection (18 ) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000. 2009, c. 5, s. 44 (2).
    Last edited by Splash; 03-23-2012 at 04:48 AM.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    I saw it differently. The cab, who I don't think was making a left turn, hit the brakes seeing the pedestrian crossing.

I could be wrong, but when I have a vehicle hit the brakes anywhere near me, I slow the hell down as maybe they've seen something I haven't.
    +1. As I was scrolling through the posts, was wondering if anybody else caught this.

The taxi braked pretty hard and suddenly. And for no obvious apparent reason, from the motorcyclists perspective.

That would ring bells in my head to slow the heck down as something may be up (animal? cop? pedestrian? or???)

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    +1. As I was scrolling through the posts, was wondering if anybody else caught this.

The taxi braked pretty hard and suddenly. And for no obvious apparent reason, from the motorcyclists perspective.

That would ring bells in my head to slow the heck down as something may be up (animal? cop? pedestrian? or???)
    and if someone is behind you, you would've got rear ended.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Dude, slow the F down in the city... this is morning commute correct? People are not expecting Ben Spies on his way to work. You left that light like it was a drag strip tree...
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

In most of Europe the pedestrian would never have chanced crossing unless the light was exactly in her favour and traffic had stopped. The problem over here is that the pedestrian is promoted as the king and everyone has to work around them. This leads to situations like this where the pedestrian enters a crossing thinking/gambling that the traffic will stop for them. This girl was lucky she wasn't tagged but I can bet it doesn't stop her from doing it again. There should be a whole mindset change in Canadian traffic law regarding pedestrians. With so many immigrants coming to the country, bringing their own driving habits with them, it's only going to result in more pedestrians getting tagged by onknowking drivers. The pedestrian should come secondary to the motorist. The roads are getting busier, people are becoming less patient and the country as a whole is changing and growing. It's time the laws did as well.

I tagged some kid on his bike a few years back at a stop sign. Luckily for both of us he wasn't hurt beyond a bit of bruising but he came right off the sidewalk at speed onto the road in front of the stop sign. He, and his lawyer happy parents, were convinced I was at fault just because he was on a bike and he had right of way. It took a witness and a quick scan of local traffic law to prove them wrong but the point is, the kid thought he was in the right because pedestrians are extended so many rights elsewhere.

In saying all this though, the OP was riding way too fast for the street and the situation.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.