Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection! - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection!

Re: Girl Blindly Running Through an Intersection!

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    I don't know where to even begin.

You should be grateful that you live in a city where all these people want to hold these events. It's a sign that it's a vibrant, liveable city, plus the events themselves contribute to that life. While it's important for people to be able to drive around the city easily too, you have the other 350 Sundays of the year to drive as you please. Is it so much to ask for you to share your seemingly god-given right to the road for a few hours for the sake of a healthy city? And what makes you think it wouldn't be an inconvenience up in Aurora (or wherever you think is far enough away for you to enjoy the city as if it was yours alone)? Also, given that you choose to reside in such a liveable city, couldn't you opt to cycle, or take transit, or even walk around wherever you have to go? Or buy yourself an island in the Pacific?
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt since you don't even know anything about me. I live in the city precisely because I love the city. I'm big on public transit and while I do own a car and motorcycle, I rarely drive - I think I fill up maybe once every 2 or 3 months. After growing up in Mississauga and having to commute an hour each way, its really nice to be able to stroll to work in the morning in jusst under 10 minutes.

It's not the events, but rather the difficulty in doing something as simple as trying to come home. Try paying the high taxes in Toronto and then having some police officer tell you that you can't drive down a street to get home. Fustrating to say the least. Festivals like the Taste of the Danforth and others are less intrusive because they are limited to one street. But these marathons shut down at least a 10 city block radius. And there are now so many it is becoming a nuisance.

I just think there are better places to hold events that require significant road access. One example is why would you hold the G20 in a city like Toronto, shutting down the city when you could have it in a smaller city which could better use the publicity and subsidies from the province?

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    There's a lot of Sundays in your year!!!! In my year there's 52 Sundays
    you are very very funny

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Not trying to be an armchair critic, but as soon as I saw the car stopped at the green on your left...I would've started slowing down (I guess that's just something to keep in mind in the future). Any time the right lane's moving downtown and the left one's stuck...prepare for a crazy person crossing the street or someone being let into the intersection someone into their lane (most likely from a gas station/parking lot/etc.)

Also another thing to note is that in situations like these, a honk freezes most people when they hear it. It'll buy you a little bit of time to swerve a little.

I'm really glad you didn't hit her - that could've gotten messy af.

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFaLoB View Post
    Try paying the high taxes in Toronto and then having some police officer tell you that you can't drive down a street to get home. Fustrating to say the least.
    This is just the type of attitude that drives me mad. What is it you're trying to say with that kind of comment? The only thing I get out of it is "I pay taxes so I own the street".

Like when I drive with people who complain about Sunday morning parades or sporting/cultural events because they can't get to the pub as quickly as they have done on every other Sunday for their whole lives. WTF? Never mind the opportunity to experience something different, or the potential net benefit to the city, or the desire to build something world class (as in the city or the event itself). It's always about me me me.

I pay taxes in Toronto and I've had the marathon run right down my street but that wasn't frustrating (I actually enjoyed it). It's narrow mindedness that's frustrating. Not saying that's you, but that's how you're coming across.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    This is just the type of attitude that drives me mad. What is it you're trying to say with that kind of comment? The only thing I get out of it is "I pay taxes so I own the street".

Like when I drive with people who complain about Sunday morning parades or sporting/cultural events because they can't get to the pub as quickly as they have done on every other Sunday for their whole lives. WTF? Never mind the opportunity to experience something different, or the potential net benefit to the city, or the desire to build something world class (as in the city or the event itself). It's always about me me me.

I pay taxes in Toronto and I've had the marathon run right down my street but that wasn't frustrating (I actually enjoyed it). It's narrow mindedness that's frustrating. Not saying that's you, but that's how you're coming across.
    Hmmm, where do I begin? Isn't your argument using the same logic that frustrated you? You pay taxes in toronto and enjoyed a marathon so everyone else should just shut up and stop complaining? Isn't that the same selfish logic that you accuse me of?

The reason why you only hear "I pay taxes so I own the street" is probably because you don't hear very well and oversimplify everything.

You also have a tendency to make a lot of assumptions when making an argument.

I definitely don't think I own the roads because I pay taxes. However, I do think that everyone has the right to enter into their property with minimal restriction. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I think street festivals are fantastic. But they should be limited to avoid as much disruption to residents.

However, I do think that no matter how much I try to debate, you will be so closed minded that the best we can hope for is to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFaLoB View Post
    Hmmm, where do I begin? Isn't your argument using the same logic that frustrated you? You pay taxes in toronto and enjoyed a marathon so everyone else should just shut up and stop complaining? Isn't that the same selfish logic that you accuse me of?

The reason why you only hear "I pay taxes so I own the street" is probably because you don't hear very well and oversimplify everything.

You also have a tendency to make a lot of assumptions when making an argument.

I definitely don't think I own the roads because I pay taxes. However, I do think that everyone has the right to enter into their property with minimal restriction. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I think street festivals are fantastic. But they should be limited to avoid as much disruption to residents.

However, I do think that no matter how much I try to debate, you will be so closed minded that the best we can hope for is to agree to disagree.
    I wonder if you didn't just make an off-the-cuff complaint and I'm making it out to be more than what you intended because it happens to be a pet peeve of mine.

Anyways you seem like a rational a courteous poster so if you care to pursue this off-topic discussion, I've sent you a crushing PM
    There is no planet B.

Next clip will be at 0.000000001% speed.

The following video: In Planck-time speed.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

The girl was an idiot to cross. The OP will be a statistic by seasons-end if he keeps riding like that. Each 50% at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by beverage View Post
    The girl was an idiot to cross. The OP will be a statistic by seasons-end if he keeps riding like that. Each 50% at fault.
    We're all statistics by seasons' end. Even before. But yeah, he did seem like he was going a bit fast for in-town riding.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.