Divorce / separation question

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divorce / separation question

Divorce / separation question

A friend down east (NS) came home and found that his key didn't fit the door lock. His wife yells through the door "You don't live here anymore." Without elaborating, she is the problem, not him. He is temporarily living with friends.

She has screwed up his credit so he is minimizing legal costs. He always came home and gave her his paycheck assuming that she was paying his credit cards and bills. She only paid hers the last while so he looks like the slacker.

He is trying to be more than fair but she is dillusional. He wants to buy a cheap place to live but is afraid if anything shows on his asset sheet she will grab half.

At what point are new assets not considered common property? A legal reference would be appreciated.

Re: Divorce / separation question

If it was a joint house, he needs to get back in the house NOW! If he is on the title/lease/etc... the cops CANNOT throw him out (unless he is violent or abusive to her)

PS: He is close to the ocean, lots of things disapear into the ocean never to be found again... one time I had this shoe that fell out of a boat, haven't seen it since.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

+1 to that. Move back in Tony Soprano style

Quote Originally Posted by DOHC1 View Post
    +1 to that. Move back in Tony Soprano style
    I have the boat if you need it (stugust)

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    If it was a joint house, he needs to get back in the house NOW! If he is on the title/lease/etc... the cops CANNOT throw him out (unless he is violent or abusive to her)

PS: He is close to the ocean, lots of things disapear into the ocean never to be found again... one time I had this shoe that fell out of a boat, haven't seen it since.
    Is there a chance I can rent that boat from you? I got more then a shoe that needs to fall out ! To the OP, tell your friend to do a quick credit check on himself first. See whats going on and then act quickly, and yes he needs to get into that house now.

He may have the right to go back, but that doesn't mean he wants to. He doesn't forfeit his right to the house by not being there.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    He may have the right to go back, but that doesn't mean he wants to. He doesn't forfeit his right to the house by not being there.
    As I understand it, it makes it a hell of allot harder.... Isn't the old saying "possession is 9/10ths of the law"...

I just took a short course in civil law, and this is what I remember:

Anything related to the matrimonial home becomes a shared asset (or liability). So, regardless of whose name is on the deed, it is equally owned by both. The only things that are protected from divorce are inheritance and settlements (legal, insurance), so long as they are not at all spent in the matrimonial home (use the inheritance to build a deck, its now part of the shared asset). There must somehow be proof that they are living separately in order for anything to be protected, but I would suggest he rents for the next 12 months before the divorce can be officiated.

Now, as long as the two are separated, and living separately, then newly acquired assets may not be considered joint. I'm not sure to what extent this is, though. I would think that if he bought a car at this point to get to work, it would be his, but I'm not sure if he bought a new home, if it would also just be his (I think it is, because it is not considered the matrimonial residence).

When the divorce takes place, the first thing that will happen is that all parts of the matrimonial home will be assigned a value, and divided 50/50. This means that each persons assets and liabilities will be tallied as well. In the end, one person will make off with more money, as an attempt to balance things out. Its called an equalization payment (the person with more assets will get less cash, or the person with more liabilities will get more, so that in theory both people come out 50/50. Great way to pay off credit cards). After that, things like spousal support will be determined on a basis of how much the lesser person makes, and how much is needed for them to survive, and for how long (this number can get stupid, though).

Ultimately, best to consult a lawyer, as that will be needed no matter what. I hope there are no kids involved, otherwise it becomes even more of a mess.
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    At what point are new assets not considered common property? A legal reference would be appreciated.
    Date of separation.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

As I understand it, it makes it a hell of allot harder.... Isn't the old saying "possession is 9/10ths of the law"...
    wrong.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    wrong.
    OK, enlighten us.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

If it was a joint house, he needs to get back in the house NOW! If he is on the title/lease/etc... the cops CANNOT throw him out (unless she says he is violent or abusive to her)

Fixed
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

OK, enlighten us.
    Maybe you can look things up before you talk instead.

Not retained.
    Well Played.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Maybe you can look things up before you talk instead.
    bla....
    Last edited by eastcoast_gsx; 03-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Criminal Code Section 430 (c) and (d) apply here.
    <HGROUP id=h-116>Mischief

</HGROUP>
    • 430. (1) Every one commits mischief who wilfully
      • (a) destroys or damages property;
      • (b) renders property dangerous, useless, inoperative or ineffective;
      • (c) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property; or
      • (d) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with any person in the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property.

Police will never ever enforce denial of lawful access to your own property if a woman locks you out of your own house. Your friend has the odds stacked against him immediately - becuase he has a penis.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    Your friend has the odds stacked against him immediately - becuase he has a penis.
    This ^

Date of separation.
    Would that have to be a written document or does it suffice that he had to spend the night in a motel? He is trying to be too nice IMO.

It does not have to be a written document, however I don't know enough facts to say for sure when the date of separation was ( this is usually a litigation point/ settlement point and its not really something anyone can say 100 %)

That being said - spending 1 night in a motel probably not, spending a night in a motel and then never going back- probably. he needs to consult his lawyer for a legal opinion.

Wouldn't want to be in your friend's shoes.

( ps I also don't know if NS law is very different from Ontario's - your friend needs to obtain legal advice from a NS lawyer.)

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Would that have to be a written document or does it suffice that he had to spend the night in a motel? He is trying to be too nice IMO.
    What suprphreak posted is right on the money for Ontario law. I only know Ontario law from going through this process. The separation date is the date that it was decided that the two are no longer a couple. In this case it would be when she changed the locks.

One party or the other cannot be thrown out of the matrimonial home unless there are charges of abuse, or similar reasons. It's probably in his best interest to continue living elsewhere and arrange with her to collect any prized possessions and personal belongings. Everything else can be inventoried in the separation agreement and a value assigned, then it becomes a he wants / she wants scenario and the equalization payment.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.