Take Safety Course....Or Not?

Thread: Take Safety Course....Or Not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Take Safety Course....Or Not?

Everytime anyone asks me about getting their M license, I always always always suggest taking the M1 exit course. I found it quite valuable and a must for anyone that has never ridden before. In your case, with some experience, it would really be up to you. Although the fact you're asking the question should be answer enough for you. Take the course! It's definitely not going to be detrimental if you do and will be so much easier to pass the test, especially if you're already worried about it.

At the same time, I can not recommend taking the M2 exit that gets you your full M. This IMHO was a waste of $. They do not teach you anything new, I talked to the instructor about this afterwards and he said that the only reason for the course is to get you to pass the test, nothing else. It would be better to simply go take the MTO test and even if you fail it a few times, you are still ahead $ wise. But that's just my opinion!

Another +1 to doing the course. Also, don't you get a bit of an insurance break if you've taken it?

Pylon slaloms are not difficult at all. Just look ahead and you'll be amazed at how easy they are. And as for age, there was a man in his late 60s doing the course when I did it. And yes, if you're going to drop a bike, might as well be a course bike and not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    Another +1 to doing the course. Also, don't you get a bit of an insurance break if you've taken it?
    Not anymore
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Take the course. Humber uses 250 cc bikes now.

Unlike l84toff, I found the M2 exit to be very helpful in discovering and correcting a couple of bad habits that I had developed. Passing wasn't a slam dunk at Humber as several people failed. Maybe other courses were to get your license period, but not mine. I would have been disappointed in the system if some of the people in my course had not failed.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Take the course for sure. 9 years is a long time and you will be very rusty, and having never ridden a larger bike it's best to practice one something else first that isn't yours. Going to the mto with a bike you have no experience on is almost a guarantee fail scenario, plus what if you drop it.. fail AND damage your beautiful shiny new bike! no way i would take that chance. Although, i'd give the +1 to centennial as that's where i went. They have 250cc sports bikes there.

A good friend of mine, long time rider took the course when his wife decided she wanted to ride. So, together they took the course and he thought is was great.

I understand you took a course a while ago and you're looking at dropping another $400 for something you completed already but, I'd just do it. Andthis time, don't let the 5 years sneak past you and get that M.

I did RTI and they had quite a few different bikes to chose from. I had a blast and met some nice people. I rode my Sportster to the course and then jumped on a Marauder 250 and rode it all day. Did I mention it was a blast?

Passed the course with flying colors. No regrets at all.

Just do it. If you were saving thousands of dollars by just going to the MTO, I'd say skip it. But, you might learn a thing or three.

Cheers.

Can you use the certificate you got when you passed the course the first time to get an insurance break now?