Rather weird dillemma. Need some advice quick plz! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rather weird dillemma. Need some advice quick plz!

Re: Rather weird dillemma. Need some advice quick plz!

John, John, John. You're from the UK; it's malarkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    Part of those morals is making sure you have everything you need to legally use a vehicle on the road. This worries me, how prevalent is this driving without insurance mularky?
    Very. Find a retarded babe who will do anything you ask. Buy a car in her name and drive uninsured. If you have a wreck it falls on her and you dump her. Popular method in one community.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsha View Post
    Hi there. Let me make this brief.

- Older brother was riding his cbr600.
    - Got hit by a car head on. Damaged the bike from the front quite heavily but thank God was ok himself. Car sustained minimum damage.
    - Brother did not have insurance or even an M1.
    - Told other party he had both and tried to settle out of insurance. The other party initially agreed to pay $1000 for damages.
    - Brother gets called today by other party who says he hired a private investigator and found out bro has no insurance and license.

My question is....what can my brother do at this point? Is he at risk of facing insurance fines if the other party goes thru insurance? Any help/input appreciated!
    Hah, I call a bluff.

"Hi. Had a crash and the front rim of my cbr600 is slightly bent from 2 places."

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...57#post1752457

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...61#post1752461

Sorry to break it to you, but you are up ***** creek, man.
    Last edited by SunnY S; 03-22-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Hah, I call a bluff.

"Hi. Had a crash and the front rim of my cbr600 is slightly bent from 2 places."

R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Hah, I call a bluff.

Nice Catch.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

who needs a P.I. when we have Sunny S

come on guys, he's a new member asking about his 'brother' ... lol

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

I think the kids would say "PWN3D" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibosh3 View Post
    come on guys, he's a new member asking about his 'brother' ... lol
    I have a 'friend' who has this rash. What can my friend do, this hurts like a mofo....

Quote Originally Posted by ajpower View Post
    I have a 'friend' who has this rash. What can my friend do, this hurts like a mofo....
    Does it hurt when you pee? I mean, does your friend hurt when he pees?

Hah, I call a bluff.

Looool you guys are jokers. That other thread was a typo. I have a license and my own bike...2007 gsxr600

This is really my older brother's bike. I'm gonna repair it for him tho.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	27777

Here is a pic for you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    Part of those morals is making sure you have everything you need to legally use a vehicle on the road. This worries me, how prevalent is this driving without insurance mularky?
    What does that have to do with morality? Ignoring the HTA isn't a moral dilemma. He took a risk riding without insurance and a license. No question there. But if the accident was due to the driver's negligence then the driver is morally responsible for the damages as far as I see it. The fact that the driver has leverage over the rider is irrelevant from a moral standpoint. I actually find it disheartening that people will take advantage of a situation like this. Refusing to pay is one thing but blackmailing the rider to pay for damages the driver caused proves the driver is a ****** bag.

As for the argument that the rider is at fault for riding uninsured... This doesn't make a lick of sense either. Again, assuming the driver hit him due to his own negligence, blaming the rider for being uninsured is like trying to argue that the accident wouldn't have occurred if his parents hadn't gotten drunk one night and conceived him. It's technically true that events would have occurred differently but it's an indirect relationship that has no causal significance. The direct cause of the accident would still be the driver's negligence. He had no idea the rider was uninsured and if the rider hadn't been on the road that day it could've very well been someone else who got hit instead.

This is just an academic response to some opinions I disagree with and I'm assuming the driver caused the collision. Ultimately, the rider still put himself in a tight spot and I think both parties walking away is a reasonable settlement. For shame!
    Last edited by AF4iK; 03-23-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Af4iK you raise a good point. A few years ago a taxi was stopped on the wrong side of the street and as my wife approached in her car, the passenger opened her door and cleaned off the mirror on my wife's car. The passenger could (should) have seen my wife coming and waited; she was facing the right direction after all. The cabbie was found at fault in this case and had to pay as he was parked on the wrong side of the street, trying to drop his fare off a few feet closer to the door. In my opinion it was the passenger who should have had to pay, for two reasons. She pulled the bonehead move, and she was a lawyer who could more easily afford it I'm sure. Morals, ethics; do they even exist anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by kingsha View Post
    Hi there. Let me make this brief.

- Older brother was riding his cbr600.
    - Got hit by a car head on. Damaged the bike from the front quite heavily but thank God was ok himself. Car sustained minimum damage.
    - Brother did not have insurance or even an M1.
    - Told other party he had both and tried to settle out of insurance. The other party initially agreed to pay $1000 for damages.
    - Brother gets called today by other party who says he hired a private investigator and found out bro has no insurance and license.

My question is....what can my brother do at this point? Is he at risk of facing insurance fines if the other party goes thru insurance? Any help/input appreciated!
    Riding without insurance or license = At fault.
    If it were me, I would have not given any info out, and just called it a day/lesson learned... sounds like your brother tried to get greedy to have the damages on his bike fixed and now he's in a pickle.

Edit. Just saw above.
    Last edited by Dresden; 03-23-2012 at 12:51 PM.

There is very little to argue in this thread, if you understand both insurance and the law.

From an insurance standpoint the car driver gets hit with an at-fault, under the Rules of Fault Determination. The motorcyclist ends up with a mark on his record, for operating a vehicle without insurance, which results in ridiculous insurance rates for years to come, on any and all vehicles he insures.

From a legal standpoint the car driver gets charged with 'operation without due care and attention', which is likely reduced to either 'failure to yield right of way' or 'operate electronic device while driving', if he fights the charge. The motorcyclist gets charged with operating a vehicle without insurance, which results in a fine in the $5000.00 to $25,000.00 range, for a first offence. If it's a subsequent offence, then the fine goes to $10K - $50K.

One side doesn't win and the other side lose. Both sides lose.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    There is very little to argue in this thread, if you understand both insurance and the law.

From an insurance standpoint the car driver gets hit with an at-fault, under the Rules of Fault Determination. The motorcyclist ends up with a mark on his record, for operating a vehicle without insurance, which results in ridiculous insurance rates for years to come, on any and all vehicles he insures.

From a legal standpoint the car driver gets charged with 'operation without due care and attention', which is likely reduced to either 'failure to yield right of way' or 'operate electronic device while driving', if he fights the charge. The motorcyclist gets charged with operating a vehicle without insurance, which results in a fine in the $5000.00 to $25,000.00 range, for a first offence. If it's a subsequent offence, then the fine goes to $10K - $50K.

Did the fine for operating without insurance change? I was thinking it was a bit lower, starting or fixed at $3000. (Not advocating doing it, of course)
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post

Rob I think you are entirely right if the police reported to the scene. Since this is after the fact it may be hard to prove the other driver was in the wrong (although there were witnesses).

It is of course is easy to prove the bike had no insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Did the fine for operating without insurance change? I was thinking it was a bit lower, starting or fixed at $3000. (Not advocating doing it, of course)

It did, as Rob noted...first offense is 5K to 25K, second starts at 10K up to 50K. Wording is along the lines of no lower (or not less) than 5K and no higher than 25K... It is on the MTO website.

Don't forget the OP would also get charged with no license.

The OP should just count his blessings and sell the bike.

There are to many people like you that give us riders a bad name.