Herniated discs and motorcycle riding - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Herniated discs and motorcycle riding

Re: Herniated discs and motorcycle riding

Myself,like others feel your pain.
    Caution with the knife – I know someone who walks like a penguin since his surgery.
    Have you tried traction with your pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds?
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWyshbone View Post

How long did it take you to heal after the surgery? Can you still feel your leg and stuff? I think I'm gonna take some poop in a bag with me to see the neurosurgeon, just in case he doesn't feel my pain, lol. I'm glad you're feeling some relief after the surgery
    Just be patient and keep at it, hopefully you will get the surgery if that is the right option for you.

I was up and walking the day after the surgery. Recovery time depends on condition going into the surgery. The more you can stay mobile after surgery, the better. I was on a under 5 pound lifting restriction for 4 weeks, but after the first 3 or 4 days I was pretty much fully recovered.

There was no nerve damage in my case and the surgery completely removed all pain. In my case the disc was completely removed, due to the seriousness of the hernia, but I understand the surgery and results can differ from person to person.

Keep in mind by the time I got my surgery I couldn't walk or stand for more than 5 minutes. I laid on the floor of the MRI waiting room and the neurosurgeon's office. When I left surgery I felt like i had got hit in the back with a large bat but I had a ear to ear smile. The nurses all thought I was crazy, but I explained the pain was so much better. I was wandering the hospital floor, although slowly and on morphine, 3 hours after the operation.

Just as a note: I didn't want the surgery. My doctor was recommending for months and I resisted. Sometimes surgery becomes the only option left.
    Last edited by dantonios; 04-23-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Sorry I know you got a discectomy, what did they replace the disc with? Did you get spinal fusion or artificial disc? I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me they could take out my disc and leave an empty space, but I for the life of me could not wrap my head around this. How could they just leave an empty space there? Wouldnt your spine collapse on itself or something? I did try asking the doc, but he must've thought he was talking to one of his office buddies cuz he was talkin to me and swear my IQ dropped like 100 points
    2007 ZZR600
    Custom fairings from Nicecycle.com
    Custom projector/halo headlamps from xdcycle.com
    Yoshimura RS-3C Bolt-On Exhaust
    Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tire
    ...peace and love...

Had a sciatica episode once due to bad exercise. Thank god it went away after some physio. The pain was terrible.
    Hope ya heal up soon and well, the seasons just started too. BTW finally nice to read an excellent thread on here. which hasn't happened in a while.
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

Sorry I know you got a discectomy, what did they replace the disc with? Did you get spinal fusion or artificial disc? I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me they could take out my disc and leave an empty space, but I for the life of me could not wrap my head around this. How could they just leave an empty space there? Wouldnt your spine collapse on itself or something? I did try asking the doc, but he must've thought he was talking to one of his office buddies cuz he was talkin to me and swear my IQ dropped like 100 points
    As strange as this sounds, the disc was not replaced. Current technology does not provide for a reliable/lasting substitute for a disc. There are very few places in Canada that offer this. Depending on the location of the disc and the mobility of the spine at this point; dictates what they do following removal. With my disc removal, the lowness of the disc removed allowed them to do nothing for replacement. Muscle tissue grows to effectively fuse the disc above and below that removed. In other cases they may opt to do an actual fusion with rods and such.

Quote Originally Posted by dantonios View Post
    As strange as this sounds, the disc was not replaced. Current technology does not provide for a reliable/lasting substitute for a disc. There are very few places in Canada that offer this. Depending on the location of the disc and the mobility of the spine at this point; dictates what they do following removal. With my disc removal, the lowness of the disc removed allowed them to do nothing for replacement. Muscle tissue grows to effectively fuse the disc above and below that removed. In other cases they may opt to do an actual fusion with rods and such.
    Artificial disc replacement has been around for at least the last decade.
    When I had L4-L5 L5-S1 removed, they held me together with rods, screws, and a bone donation from my hip. It's been over 20yrs since I had mine done.

I know for a fact that 7 yrs ago, there was a Dr in London ON that was using titanium (artificial) discs for replacement - buddy of mine had L4-L5 replaced with one. I believe this practice is more widespread now.

If you don't mind dantonios - what 2 vertabrae did you have a disc removed from? I've never heard of "nothing" taking the place of a surgically removed disc.
    It takes bone a minimum of 6 months to "fuse" and muscle tissue would not hold your spine very stable from what I've learned having a "bad" back for 45 yrs.

Link to artificial disc info:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00502#top

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If you don't mind dantonios - what 2 vertabrae did you have a disc removed from? I've never heard of "nothing" taking the place of a surgically removed disc.
    It takes bone a minimum of 6 months to "fuse" and muscle tissue would not hold your spine very stable from what I've learned having a "bad" back for 45 yrs.

Link to artificial disc info:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00502#top
    Certainly. It was the L5 S1 vertabrae.

I can only tell you that my neurosurgeon was not confident with the reliability of replacement discs for my surgery. My surgery was done at St. Mike's and my neurosurgeon has been the game for many years (30 +). I am not sure what you have 'heard' or learned from your 45 years of bad back, I am only relaying the information given to me by my neurosurgeon.

Please note that the surgery is much less invasive than when you had it performed. I was out the next day and back to typical activity within 3 days. From what i have heard of the days when you had your surgery, it was much more invasive and recovery time was longer.

Update, just got a call from my doc giving me a date next week for nerve root injection. Any advice, opinions? Is this thing gonna hurt?
    2007 ZZR600
    ...peace and love...

11 years ago I was in an automobile accident and had a herniated disk at L4/5 and 2 bulged disks one above and 1 below. I went 2 years with severe siatica before they opperated and removed the herniated disk that was compressed on the nerve. The only thing that kept me going and not cutting off my leg was the same as you, my family and riding. I was not able to ride from the time i was in the accident until a year after the surgery. 3 in total. every morning I would get up think of my wife and kids then hobble out to look at my bike. I have done everything from physio, acupuncture , pool therapy, massage, everything. I still have chronic pain but the drop dead 10/10 leg pain is gone. I now can ride but have pain everyday on the bike or off so i might as well ride and pass the time doing something I love then sitting around not riding in pain. I get by every day with the help of Dilaudid, my family and Harley Davidson. I did have to move up to a more upright rididng bike as there was no way I could ride a sports bike. The way I look at it is that a least i"m still riding. You can do it, but it might take some time. Dont give up.

They will put a local into your spine so you wont feel the bigger needle . I had this done a couple years ago to try and relieve the pain. They then guide a larger needle into the area of pain with the help of a ct machine(might be caalled something else) so they dont hit anything that will cause more dammage. Its pretty cool as you can watch the needle going in on the screen. After it was done it I was tender but in not as much back pain. It lasted no longer then a week for me so it was not worth going back, but If I recall correctly you can get it done 4 times a year if it works. Good Luck

@chopinrockwood, really? Just a week of relief, hardly seems worth it, but my doc is insisting so I figured anything is better than nothing at this point. Plus I consult a neurosurgeon two weeks after injection. So i guess I may as well give 'er a go
    2007 ZZR600
    ...peace and love...

I went 2 years in severe back and leg pain from the accident and for that time I was told it was soft tisssue dammage. I was put on a cocktail of pills and told to continue with therapy. I couldnt walk with out a cane, couldnt stand or sit for longer ten 10 minutes and the oxy just made the pain bearable to a point but I would constantly nod out. I finally got an appointment with Dr. Tator @ toronto Western and he booked me in for emergency surgery. The surgery got rid of the siatica but because I went so long with it being as bad as it was i developed chronic back pain. once in a while I will get a zap down my leg but only if I move or get up a certain way, or ride too long but thats worth it. Dont think that the needles wont work for you, they might just do the trick, and dont worry if surgery is needed as I can still ride without the disk. I can now walk without the cane (slight limp) and am off the oxy but on Dilaudid for pain. Last year we rode out to Sturgis and every year I go on 2 major trips (gaspe, Cabot trail, and Boston this year) The pain is there every day but I can ride which is the main point.Out on the bike with the wind in your face is the best therapy I know of. You will get over this and I am certain that you will ride again. Try everything that is offered to you. I was also told that if I had done the decompresion table it might have gotten rid of the siatica without surgery. Its expensive if you dont have coverage (3-4 grand for 20 visits) I hope this helps.

Thanks for the well wishes

Thats the table that flips you upside down? Some one had brought one to my house to lend to me, but both my doc and physio t. recommended against it due to how acute my injury was so I didn't mess with it. But the person who lent it to me swore by it cuz they went out and bought one. I tried acupuncture for a bit, but found it was too pricey and the effects with me personally only lasted a few hours.

Hey, does anybody with a sportbike use a cane? Any suggestions for how to carry one on the bike?

Another big question, may I have some opinions on cortisone injections, as those have been recommended to me as well
    Don't do the cortisone, although it relieves the pain, the scar tissue causing the pain is actually holding it together. you'll be making it more prone to injury because the lessened pain will make you less conscious of how careful you are with it and it will be weaker.

Wicked, thanks for the heads up I'm just gonna get the one shot tomorrow, just so I can say I didnt refuse any treatments, after that I'm hoping surgeon points me in the right direction with recovery, whether it be surgery or just some more physio. But ya after tommorows shot I'm not gonna mess with it anymore. I'm mainly worried about the false positive of the shot too, like it making me feel better for three months than my back conks out once im back at work. I don't wanna go through all the headache of another sick leave after that!
    2007 ZZR600
    ...peace and love...

Ok, so just got back from Toronto Western Hospital for the nerve root injection. Went well enough, doc was cool and explained pretty well what was going on and what I would feel like for the next couple days.

So I'm lying face down on this table and the doc first injects me with a local to freeze the area. Now let me tell you as someone who hasn't been subjected to a hell of alot of needles it wasnt the needle that hurt, but boy when medicine was goin in it was like holy f*#k , now I know what wolverine must've felt like when they gave him those metal bones. Pain was maybe a few seconds but it's two needles, so you're laying there feeling like a prison b!tch cuz you don't know when the next one's comin or how big it will be. So the doc gives me a warning when hes about to do the actual cortisone, which kinda bugged me cuz now I'm all tensed up waiting for it, and I'm expecting it to hurt. So I feel it in my back, and I'm like, meh, this ain't so bad....but when the mf'n needle hit the nerve.....WHAT!!! If it wasn't for the fact that I was fully aware there was a needle inside me I may have done a complete backflip off the table. I swear it was like someone hooked me up to a car battery and tried to give me a boost! Beginning to end the whole thing was about 45 minutes. Doc says to stay off feet and not drive for first 24 hrs and said I may feel soreness around injection site. He also said that the effects of the shot don't kick in for a least 3-6 days after injection.

So im at home now, but my right leg where I got the shot is linguini right now, I can't control it worth a **** so I'm just gonna chill. As for doing this again, no, I don't see this anywhere in my future at all. So it's either surgery or physio for me. I have EMG exam in two weeks and neurosurgeon meeting a week after that. So fingers crossed that this shot gives me at least a week of relief but I'm looking forward to finding a more long term solution to this. oh yea, just in case anyone was wondering, cortisone is steroidal
    Last edited by JonnyWyshbone; 05-02-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    2007 ZZR600
    ...peace and love...

Ok, so just got back from Toronto Western Hospital for the nerve root injection. Went well enough, doc was cool and explained pretty well what was going on and what I would feel like for the next couple days.

So I'm lying face down on this table and the doc first injects me with a local to freeze the area. Now let me tell you as someone who hasn't been subjected to a hell of alot of needles it wasnt the needle that hurt, but boy when medicine was goin in it was like holy f*#k , now I know what wolverine must've felt like when they gave him those metal bones. Pain was maybe a few seconds but it's two needles, so you're laying there feeling like a prison b!tch cuz you don't know when the next one's comin or how big it will be. So the doc gives me a warning when hes about to do the actual cortisone, which kinda bugged me cuz now I'm all tensed up waiting for it, and I'm expecting it to hurt. So I feel it in my back, and I'm like, meh, this ain't so bad....but when the mf'n needle hit the nerve.....WHAT!!! If it wasn't for the fact that I was fully aware there was a needle inside me I may have done a complete backflip off the table. I swear it was like someone hooked me up to a car battery and tried to give me a boost! Beginning to end the whole thing was about 45 minutes. Doc says to stay off feet and not drive for first 24 hrs and said I may feel soreness around injection site. He also said that the effects of the shot don't kick in for a least 3-6 days after injection.

So im at home now, but my right leg where I got the shot is linguini right now, I can't control it worth a **** so I'm just gonna chill. As for doing this again, no, I don't see this anywhere in my future at all. So it's either surgery or physio for me. I have EMG exam in two weeks and neurosurgeon meeting a week after that. So fingers crossed that this shot gives me at least a week of relief but I'm looking forward to finding a more long term solution to this.

Good to hear Jonny. Hope the shot relieves a bit of your pain.
    As we speak I am at home from work now. Had some back spasms on the weekend and was all crooked.
    What a burn, haven't had a problem in over a year and a half. It has cleared up for the most part. Back pain is a b***h. My ankle and hip were bothering me too, couldn't sit in the car. Just here waiting it out like I usually do. I don't feel like bothering my Doctors about it.
    2010 Ninja 250R
    -Mussari Exhaust
    -Fender eliminator
    -blue rim stripes

That sounds like a job for rub and tu.... Er, I mean, a well established, reputable massage and wellness centre, with hot ladies !
    2007 ZZR600
    ...peace and love...

Why is there a choice between steroidal and non steroidal anti-inflammatories?
    2007 ZZR600
    ...peace and love...

Suffered L5/S1 bulging disc 10 years ago. All I can say is, physical therapy. It really helps.
    I have a job that requires 10+ hrs a day at a desk. I used to be in constant pain. Started phys therapy and started getting better to the point where I could do weight lifting and no more pain.
    I heard recumbent bike is very good, since it's easy on the back while you work your legs.
    Only get surgery as the last resort. It's not 100% cure all.
    Chiropractic is a waste of time and money. They only give you short-term relief that makes you keep going back without any actual cure for the condition. Of course they don't admit this to you just to get you back in again.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I know there is NOTHING in the world WORSE than what you are going through/

I have similar problems in my neck and this is where I went.

http://www.rothbart.com/

They inject local pain medicine right into your spine, and it does hurt like hell. But you will have relief for atleast 3 days, prolly 2 weeks.

It only lasted 3 days (a blessing) for me but most patients get the full 2 weeks of relief.

I was grateful for the few days i enjoyed but it came back too soon for it to be worthwhile.

Now I take morphine, but it has stopped helping as well so I'm reducing my dose.

I'm always searching for other options and avenues for relief but these two things have been the only things that have worked for me, short of surgery that is.

Excercise and streaching are daily trials that help.

12 years of this and there are definetely days that I think of the unthinkable. Thankfully I also have a wonderful wife and child who support and love me, they keep me in check.

As for riding, hard sportsbike riding I can usually do, but that costs me dearly afterwards.

All the best..

ps. sorry, i did not read the last page of the thread before my reply.
    I hope the cortisone works out for you, and Rothbart can still be an option if you want to avoid the cortisone. In the future and if you still have much pain, nerve blocks might be effective.
    Last edited by krrakt; 05-03-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alex