Is riding really going to kill me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is riding really going to kill me?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Is riding really going to kill me?

"The biggest risk in life is.. not taking one."

What about all the people that died sitting in their living room?

Truth is.. 80% of accidents are rider error, or some ridiculously high number. Riding beyond their skill level, coming in too hot on a turn, not riding defensively, etc. There's many people that are well in their 60's and they're safe.

I've had some close calls, but I'm a dare devil by nature, so riding for me was something I've wanted since I was a kid. If you're SCARED to ride, then I wouldn't recommended it because that fear will bite you in the ***. I ride because I enjoy it, I'm not scared of the bike or the road or other drivers.

I've seen some riders on the road that are so unbalanced and wobbly that it's scary. Then I've seen others that demand such huge presence on the road that cars notice them and give them their space. How you ride, depends on your skill and confidence.
    Last edited by jay-d; 03-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    "The biggest risk in life is.. not taking one."

If you're SCARED to ride, then I wouldn't recommended it because that fear will bite you in the ***. I ride because I enjoy it, I'm not scared of the bike or the road or other drivers.
    I'm not scared, but when you hear 10 out of 10 people telling you bad things about it, I guess its natural to build observational bias. I'm scared of anything

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    I've seen some riders on the road that are so unbalanced and wobbly that it's scary. Then I've seen others that demand such huge presence on the road that cars notice them and give them their space. How you ride, depends on your skill and confidence.
    Now those are good points. How do I make sure that

1) I balance the bike well. I guess it'll just come time time but ANY TIPS at all will really help.

2) Ask for HUGE space on the road so that other cars around me are bound to give it.

My hope is to set an example where I can prove all those people wrong. If I get hit by a drunk driver.... well then, somethings really are not in our control now, are they !?!?

Some tips:
    - Master your bike... practice constantly
    - If you're going to test your limits, do it in a safe place
    - The masses are predictable but individuals are not, give yourself as much space as possible
    - The further up and back you look the more predictable things become

Quote Originally Posted by MR_ActionTime View Post
    If I get hit by a drunk driver.... well then, somethings really are not in our control now, are they !?!?
    If you see a drunk driver, change streets. Tip number 3: give yourself as much space as possible.

I have had the same problem with all my friends and family as well, to the point of some of them not speaking to me any more. I stopped riding because of it and put it off until now. I thought I had given it up for good but the desire never went away. Don't let other people scare you out of it.

Don't listen to other people (except for me). They don't know what they're talking about.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

life is a Gamble...Do what make you and only you happy, if your going to ride and always have that "Is riding going to kill me?" in mind then i would say riding is not for you......

1) I balance the bike well. I guess it'll just come time time but ANY TIPS at all will really help.

2) Ask for HUGE space on the road so that other cars around me are bound to give it.

My hope is to set an example where I can prove all those people wrong. If I get hit by a drunk driver.... well then, somethings really are not in our control now, are they !?!?
    First things first, take a beginners motorcycle course if you haven't already. You're not gonna be able to mitigate your chances of survival by just reading an internet forum.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

I'm a new rider as well, and that decision has come with nothing but doomsday predictions from family and friends. But your time on this planet is fixed regardless, so I choose to make it exciting - within limits.

Now that I've been on the road for a couple weeks, I'd say the first rule I follow is to never ride beyond my limits. All my turns are at low speeds, I never ride in groups, and I focus on improving my skills rather than zipping thru traffic.

Take it slow, and have fun.

I'm not scared, but when you hear 10 out of 10 people telling you bad things about it, I guess its natural to build observational bias. I'm scared of anything
    Just because 10 out of 10 people tell you bad things; doesn't make it bad. That's their ignorant opinion because they don't know any better. The rest of the world relies heavily on two wheel transportation. China and India are the largest populations in the world and they have more motorbikes than cars.

As others have stated, practice, practice, practice. If you really want to prove all these people wrong, then you must practice and own that bike, not let the bike own you.

The one piece of advice I can give you is, take your time. I started off on a 1985 VF500 for a couple of months, then I waited 4 years to get my next bike because I knew I didn't have the mental capacity to slow down; I would have killed myself. Slow and steady is the best way to learn-- accidents happen when you're too eager as I've said before!
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

OP - bikes are dangerous... you have to be confident in yourself and your abilities.

but no amount of preparation or skill can prevent ALL accidents... so you have to weigh the risks to rewards.

and your friends are saying that because they care about your well-being...those are some great people.

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

You are getting an amazing response. It's good you know the risks, and you are blessed to have the friends you do. However, it's your life, and you have to do what 'feels right'. Commit to it or don't and if/when you do - enjoy every second. I (unfortunately) was nailed by a drunk driver 7 years ago, yes it almost killed me, no it wasn't my fault. In two weeks I'm picking up my new bike. I have never been happier. When you're out there riding, you'll know if its 'for you' or not pretty quick.

Yes, it will - can I have all your stuff??

P.S. It's dangerous to think you'll get hurt doing something - if you think like a victim, you may in fact become one. There are a lot of good responses in this thread, so I won't rehash what has already been said. But drive with confidence, drive with a sense of understanding and drive like others are out to get you and you should be fine (look at members on this board who have been driving for decades who have never had any accidents - no one says you need to be part of the statistics). Ride and enjoy.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

To some degree, I'd contend that if you have always been a safe driver, never been in an accident, typically notice 'things' before they happen and avoid, then you'll be a relatively safe rider. Granted on a bike you are smaller and less people will see you (and the risks are higher), so long as you are careful you'll be able to remove a lot of the risk (but obviously nowhere near all of it) -- At least that's how I'm viewing it as I try riding for the first time this season.

Again, know that it IS a risk and decide if it is one you are willing to take. That's what I did. On the flip-side, I've been in cars before with friends whom have scared my for my life (doing stupid things, not seeing other cars, expecting others to move/make room, etc) -- I'd never recommend getting on a motorcycle to them, as I know what the likely outcome would be.

Also as others might have said, ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) is another good thing to go by, and one I plan to use. You never know when something might happen, so always be prepared just in case (I'd never forgive myself if something happened the one time I didn't wear a jacket because 'it was too warm').
    Last edited by conundrum; 03-21-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Of course riding is inherently dangerous. Driving a car is dangerous too. People have different thresholds and risk tolerance. I'm suddenly reminded of Arthur C. Clark's third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Except in this case "any activity sufficiently out of one's own comfort zone is indistinguishable from insanity".

Let them worry if they want but riding hardly = death. The vast, vast majority of riders do not die from motorcycle accidents the same way the vast majority of cage drivers do not die in car accidents. Do what you're comfortable with and be safe out there!

Btw, same principle differentiates ATGATTs and squids (well, sometimes). And that statistic about 1.7 deaths per 100 Million miles vs 35 for bikes... here's what the earth and moon look like from 100 Million Miles away:
    Last edited by AF4iK; 03-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Everything in life involves an element of risk. It is up to you to decide if that risk is justified in order to participate in a particular activity.

I have been riding for over 35 years and have heard all of those scare tactics. It is difficult to explain to non-riders, just being on the bike travelling down a twisty road simply feels fantastic. Every road you drive along will make you think of how much better that same road would be if you were on your bike.

Yes, riding is more risky than driving and in my first few years of riding I had two minor crashes, both of which were rider error. Because I started riding in the mid-70's, I did not have the benefit of the training currently offered to new riders. It was a case of take the test, get your "M" and then learn on your own. The training now offered provides the information I had to learn on my own, so you can avoid most problems.

Take the courses and practice as much as you can. Use every ride as a learning experience and study the actions of those around you. Most importantly, ride like you are invisible and be defensive.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

yup ur dead

yes, riding a motorcycle will kill you.

so will:

driving a car
    walking
    eating
    sleeping
    work
    kids
    wife/girlfriend
    friends
    drinking
    smoking
    drugs
    having wild orgys
    telling your best friend you slept with his mom/dad
    holding in a fart too long

and the thing you should never do is breathe the air. That is probably the most toxic of all things.

Do, don't do any of those, and you probably will never die.
    Ohh.....wait yes you will, we all will......

So, instead of worrying about "I might die", get out, learn to ride, and enjoy yourself.
    We all know that were gonna die someday, and nobody knows when that will be.

Cheers
    riding a moped is like having sex with a fat chick.
    sure it may be fun, but you don't want your friends to find out

00 ZX12R

Don't be discouraged. Just be safe, practice emergency situations like braking, swerving. wear you "GEAR"

I have a friend that used to go on about the dangers of riding.
    Believe it or not he was in an accident where a motorcycle T-boned him at an intersection.
    He was in hospital for quite a while.
    Mind you, the idiot on the bike died.
    But I did see the irony.
    Everybody is going to die.
    If you look at the stats. Most people die on Bikes from their own hand.
    Intersection collisions are next biggest.
    Slow down and be aware of dangers at the intersection.
    Ride safe and you will stay on the planet long enough to die of cancer...