Does anyone have experience with The Economical Insurance Group Waterloo?

Thread: Does anyone have experience with The Economical Insurance Group Waterloo?

• Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Does anyone have experience with The Economical Insurance Group Waterloo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Both cars are in my name. Both my wife and I have never been in any accidents or received any tickets. I have 500 deductible on both cars, 1 mill liability on both. Audi is for 15km one way to work, and the corolla is 25km. I just phoned my Statefarm representitive to cancel. They told me that the audi was as cheap as they could make it. They could make the corolla slightly cheaper if it was driven less, but that wouldn't make enough of a difference. The audi is 643 / 6 months, the corolla is 1,113 / 6 months. With the new company the audi is 1,083 / year and the corolla is 1,113 / year. My only guess is that state farm considers a corolla xrs (2.4 litre engine 160hp) a more sportier car than the basic corolla (1.8 litre engine 140hp). Either way I kept my motorcycle insurance with statefarm for now. It's a 2008 Honda Varadero, a 1 litre bike. No deductible it's about 1,100 a year. The lady said that come renewal the motorcycle insurance could go up to approximately 1,800 a year because I don't have any insurance with statefarm.
    The insurance companies really don't care about how "sporty" a car is -- they only care about how many claims are made with a specific make/model of care, and the severity of those claims (excluding the effects of the driver). Generally, if the car is safe then people shouldn't be hurt very bad in accidents, thus leading to a cheaper Accident Benefits premium. If parts are expensive, then the claims for Collision and Comprehensive will likely be high (leading to pricer Collision and Comprehensive coverage).

The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) uses industry claims data to determine the relative riskiness of each make/model for Accident Benefits, Collision, and Comprehensive. They actually post a nice explanation as well as a simplified version of the table here:
    http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/B...w_Car/HCMU.asp

Here is the table:
    http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/d...CMU_E_2011.pdf

I really doubt that the claims on a "Sport" model of a Corolla are much different than any other Corolla. Seriously, "Corolla Sport" is a bit of an oxymoron I didn't look up your cars, but I'm guessing the Audi will have a better Accident Benefits rating, but the Corolla will have a better Collision and Comprehensive rating.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 03-23-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)