Battery Question

Thread: Battery Question

Battery Question

I went out to start the beast yesterday and just got clicks. I had been driving it the day before, and everything was fine. I put it on charge over the day and when I got home, same clicks. It appears to take a charge but can't seem to deliver any current to the starter. A couple of the cells are low, and when I removed the battery I noticed that the vent tube was crushed between the holder and the battery. A lot of gas (Hydrogen and water vapour I assume) was released when I loosened the holder. I put the battery from the '75 on it and all is well, so I guess the battery is toast.

Now the Question: The battery is less than two years old; could the overpressure caused by the vent being sealed cause damage to the battery?

I turns out that the battery has the vent tube on the wrong side; there is a clip on the right side for it, and the vent tube is on the left.

Re: Battery Question

a voltage test should answer your question, measure it and compare it to the spec, otherwise your just guessing
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Unfortunately my voltmeter is at the new house, so all I could go by is that the charger said "complete". I think it needs a proper stress test to tell if it's bad. Maybe I'll bring it in next time I'm driving. I'm not real fond of carrying a box of acid around with me in my backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    I'm not real fond of carrying a box of acid around with me in my backpack.
    Why not? Acid is good for the bones!
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

As a chemist, I've got enough clothes with holes in them. I don't need more.

After charge, battery should read ~12.8v. Anything less than 12, your battery is toast
    Resident Loudmouth