going to dot3 from dot5 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going to dot3 from dot5

Re: going to dot3 from dot5

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    So my new (old) race bike has dot5 in it. Whats the best (EASIEST) way to go about flushing and cleaning all the old fluid out before adding the new dot3? It's a 99 R6
    You could just buy all new parts. Not cheap, but EASY

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    Brembo master i want to install was used with a dot 3 system.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Tapatalk
    Johnny seems pretty familiar with Brembo stuff, maybe you could get him to rebuild it.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Johnny seems pretty familiar with Brembo stuff, maybe you could get him to rebuild it.
    Brembo does not sell any internal parts for those masters. They want you to send them back to Italy for any internal rebuilding...You could open it and clean it but thats about it, and its really not necessary

All he has to do is flush out the fluid when he bleeds with the new fluid...Its not like the 2 fluids will cause an explosion...They only cause problems when you try to mix them and use them together...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Brembo does not sell any internal parts for those masters. They want you to send them back to Italy for any internal rebuilding...You could open it and clean it but thats about it, and its really not necessary

All he has to do is flush out the fluid when he bleeds with the new fluid...Its not like the 2 fluids will cause an explosion...They only cause problems when you try to mix them and use them together...
    ^ This advice supersedes any suggestions I have made in this this thread
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Agreed, I would actually take it one step further and flush with methyl hydrate between fluids. Open the bleeders, let the old fluid run out, let gravity run the methyl hydrate through and then use the new fluid. I used to rebuild a lot of calipers and mater cylinders when I worked as a mechanic and methyl hydrate was the best way to clean and remove moisture. It won't damage any of the rubber components and evaporates easily.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

It takes 20mins to rebuild those calipers and an hour or do to get that master to work with the calipers.

If you need a hand, just ask

Thanks Johnny and Simon...that's will I'm going to do!

Hi Johnny, question about the brembo.
    I was wokring on a bike and was told had dot4 in the system. Turns out it looked like motul dot 4 in the resevoir becuase bronze in colour, but sure enough when i started to bleed the lines totally clear solution came out that I almost thought was water at first. But then the salad dressing started. Looks like they topped up with dot4 but had dot5 (not the 5.1) in the system. I don't know if the mix they had up in the resevoir was used on the track riding and actually had heat in it under full braking temps, but once I started the bleed it sucked it into the silicone fully and the bad mix was all throughout the system at this point.
    So, it has a shinny new-ish brembo 19x20 (probably half a season on it) and all the reading and research I've done online indicates that brembos cannot but be reuiblt and the seals will swell from the silicone. The crash repair kit only fixed the parts in the kit but not the internal seals. So I'm concerned about using the system if there will be internal swelling and distortion. In the mean time what i did was disassemble the entire brake system and cleaned the lines with brake cleaner, I'm going to have to buy the caliper rebuild kit and work on that, but most importantly this bloody brembo that i wanted to try so badly (never had one before) I'm wondering will it work again? I cleaned the brembo out also with brake cleaner and also filled up a small container with rubbng alcohol and let it soak in there since this morning hoping to dissolve the silicone and save the seals.

Any suggestions ? Is there hope ?

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Serialize; 04-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.