going to dot3 from dot5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to dot3 from dot5

going to dot3 from dot5

So my new (old) race bike has dot5 in it. Whats the best (EASIEST) way to go about flushing and cleaning all the old fluid out before adding the new dot3? It's a 99 R6
    Last edited by kellen; 03-21-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Re: going to dot3 from dot5

I believe you have to rebuild the calipers because they need to be cleaned right out, and replace the lines.

Well ain't that a *****. i'm not really down with that.

Yea.. something like Dot 3/4 don't mix with Dot 5, but you can mix with Dot 5.1.

Like oil and water!
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

yeah maybe it's just easier to clean out the new master and keep using dot 5

Without sounding a smarty pants I really would refer to the manufacturers websites. If they don't give an answer then get in contact with their tech support. Brakes aren'ty something we want to be second guessing about.

I recently started using 5.1, although I was rebuilding my calipers and installing a new master, new reservoir and fitting new braided lines at the same time so really didn't have to worry.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

So I got a little curious and did some research. This part stood out to me.

Dot 3 being glycol
    Dot 5 being silicone

"On the practical side, beware that glycol and silicone brake fluids are hugely incompatible with each other. Mixing even small amounts will create a sludge that looks amazingly like Italian salad dressing and is about as effective as a brake fluid -- meaning, not. Of further consideration is that, in some cases, the hardware designed for one fluid will not accept the other. Brake caliper and master cylinder seals, hoses, and other parts won't always work correctly when the type of fluid is changed."

Source:
    http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Without sounding a smarty pants I really would refer to the manufacturers websites. If they don't give an answer then get in contact with their tech support. Brakes aren'ty something we want to be second guessing about.

I recently started using 5.1, although I was rebuilding my calipers and installing a new master, new reservoir and fitting new braided lines at the same time so really didn't have to worry.
    This is good advice, I heard the same thing about seals. Probably means you need to do some research on your parts.

Or you can just forget you posted this thread and fill the brake system with dish soap.
    There is no planet B.

Why would u even think dot 3? why not 4?
    Resident Loudmouth

You don't need working brakes in lost era.

I totally agree. Previous owner ran dot5 unfortunately and I have no experience with it.

This is not a black art.

DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all compatible with each other.
    DOT 5 is not compatible with any of the above.

Switching from one type to the other requires a complete clean & rebuild of the system. Worst case scenario - your calipers fill with goo and suddenly don't work so hot.

If the OP plans to continue using this as a racebike, you're better off to continue using DOT 5. It's not so great for street use as water can collect in the bottom of the system. It is however legal, and some Harleys came with it from the factory.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    This is not a black art.

DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all compatible with each other.
    DOT 5 is not compatible with any of the above.

Switching from one type to the other requires a complete clean & rebuild of the system. Worst case scenario - your calipers fill with goo and suddenly don't work so hot.

If the OP plans to continue using this as a racebike, you're better off to continue using DOT 5. It's not so great for street use as water can collect in the bottom of the system. It is however legal, and some Harleys came with it from the factory.
    I didn't say it was a black art. I suggested he get advice from the manufacturers rather than from an internet forum, simply because brakes are crucial bits of equipment. And that was just my view, not the definitive answer. And even though you sound extremely well educated regarding the subject, even if I knew you and you were stood in my garage advising me, i'd still sneak off and check with the manufacturers.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

If ti has 5 now I would just stay with 5.

Brembo master i want to install was used with a dot 3 system.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post

U should switch to Dot 4 if u are switching. It has a higher boiling point. Dot 3 is old tech.

U can mix dot 3 & 4. Just flush it, not a complete mix
    Last edited by RockerGuy; 03-22-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarification
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Why would u even think dot 3? why not 4?
    I can think of once instance where I would use DOT 3 over DOT 4. Ford HD DOT 3 is an inexpensive brake fluid that has a higher dry boiling point (550 degrees F) than most DOT 4 fluids, *BUT* it has worse a wet boiling point, which leads to its DOT 3 classification. If you change it frequently, its a great track day brake fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    I can think of once instance where I would use DOT 3 over DOT 4. Ford HD DOT 3 is an inexpensive brake fluid that has a higher dry boiling point (550 degrees F) than most DOT 4 fluids, *BUT* it has worse a wet boiling point, which leads to its DOT 3 classification. If you change it frequently, its a great track day brake fluid.
    I've heard DOT 4 absorbs moisture less readily
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I've heard DOT 4 absorbs moisture less readily
    For a track bike that has fluid changed often (i.e. before every event in some cases), this is less of a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post

See that is the kicker, the master you want to use was used with DOT3, but caliper and lines you want to put it on were used with DOT5... So either you are converting the calipers and lines or you are converting the master... either way...

Easiest path to me is just don't switch the master (is your's dead)?