problems after wash

Thread: problems after wash

problems after wash

I have a 2010 250 ninja
    I pressure washed the bike recently and although i was careful, it might have not been enough. I notice the choke is not working properly anymore. Even when the choke is fully engaged the bike wont start easily; i have to give it some throttle before it starts. and with the choke fully engaged the RPMs wont go over 2000 unless i give it throttle. Any ideas on what it could be?
    There are no problems once the bike is started, ie. no stalling, weird noises, or stuttering.

i will be doing some troubleshooting tomorrow but any areas to focus on or look at would be great!

Re: problems after wash

Pressure washing is bad.I have never used anything but a garden hose for 35 years and never had a problem.A "little" WD40 in the switchgear might help you.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by tps View Post
    I have a 2010 250 ninja
    I pressure washed the bike recently and although i was careful, it might have not been enough. I notice the choke is not working properly anymore. Even when the choke is fully engaged the bike wont start easily; i have to give it some throttle before it starts. and with the choke fully engaged the RPMs wont go over 2000 unless i give it throttle. Any ideas on what it could be?
    There are no problems once the bike is started, ie. no stalling, weird noises, or stuttering.

i will be doing some troubleshooting tomorrow but any areas to focus on or look at would be great!
    Im experiencing sort of the same problem ever since 'after winter', and I never washed the bike with pressured water.

I don't know what it is, but makes me wonder how I was able to start the bike on the first shot on the days of -10C. My carbs are out of sync apparently, but I'm not sure if it's a cause.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Are you experiencing the same problems after you let it warm up for about 5 mins? Normally when you start the bike (when it's cool) it takes about a minute for the rpms to rise on their own even with the choke on a full. It usually gradually rises to about 3,000 rpms and holds.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    Are you experiencing the same problems after you let it warm up for about 5 mins? Normally when you start the bike (when it's cool) it takes about a minute for the rpms to rise on their own even with the choke on a full. It usually gradually rises to about 3,000 rpms and holds.
    Even at -10c in the winter, mine would go to 4,000 in 5-8 seconds. But then, my fully warmed engine has an idle of just under 2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    Even at -10c in the winter, mine would go to 4,000 in 5-8 seconds. But then, my fully warmed engine has an idle of just under 2,000.
    That sounds normal to me.

Maybe the OP has some bad gas if the warming up period doesn't work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    ya it does not matter how long i let it warm up. it wont go past 2000 for some reason. I can hear that the choke is giving the engine gas..but not enough...like its clogged(probably not the case) or maybe the choke needs to be adjusted. i am just trying to figuire out how a wash could cause that. or maybe water got in the fuel im not sure wut it could be

UPDATE: after two days the problem went away. im guessing some component was wet or maybe water just worked its way out of the system.

If you are just diagnosing your bike or whatever, letting it rev that high is ok but....

Just to remind you guys that a majority of engine wear occurs from revving too high on a cold engine. I always start to lower my choke when the revs are getting too high (eg. 2X idle rpm is high IMO).

It is also important to take it easy on the throttle for the first three kilometers, as a bike needs the wind to distribute heat to anything that is not warmed up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqX7 View Post
    If you are just diagnosing your bike or whatever, letting it rev that high is ok but....

Just to remind you guys that a majority of engine wear occurs from revving too high on a cold engine. I always start to lower my choke when the revs are getting too high (eg. 2X idle rpm is high IMO).

It is also important to take it easy on the throttle for the first three kilometers, as a bike needs the wind to distribute heat to anything that is not warmed up yet.
    I think most of the Ninja 250 riders don't care of that fact, simply because they plan to sell it after 5-10k kms.

At what period of lifetime would the engine wear start to matter ?

I'm a new rider myself, so I cannot give you an exact number of years that damage becomes apparent.

However, it's just a good habit to get into, for when you buy that 15K supersport, or 25K vintage bike with chrome :P or anything with an engine.

Just trying to spare you guys of any bs that life might throw at on a gorgeous spring weather day.