**LOUD** enough for ya??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **LOUD** enough for ya??

**LOUD** enough for ya??

I pulled into the local plaza this morning on my new CBR250R and started chatting with some supersport riders. They commended my choice of gear...leather jacket and pants... but they both suggested that I get a louder muffler. They said drivers would not hear me coming up their side, and too many don't check their blind spots properly.

I'm a noob, so I wanted to ask some experienced riders... do you believe that a louder exhaust is *necessary?* Or can I just stick to proper riding technique (ie. don't ride in blind spots, always make sure you're seen, have an escape route etc.)

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by wormburner; 03-19-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Re: **LOUD** enough for ya??

You can do both!

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    do you believe that a louder exhaust is *necessary?*
    No.
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

I have a 250 and i just speed when im in a blindspot and even then i have a very very loud airhorn to tell people to get the f away from me

"You tell...and I will smack you like a bad, bad donkey, okay?"- Pepe Prawn

The only way they are going to hear you is when you pass them, so it's basically useless if you are behind someone.

If you are in front of them...well, as riders it is our responsibility to keep checking back there anyways to make sure no one is following too closely or is just about to rear end you at a light (shoulder check) .

Out on the highways all the noises get mushed together anyways. One bike amongst all that traffic is not going to be heard above all the other engines rumbling...just like you would see a transport truck before you heard it, aside from a honking horn (hopefully, lol).

You will be there and gone past them before any other car has the opportunity to enjoy the rumble!

I love the way a sweet exhaust sounds, and the rumble n' vibes it creates, but I think it's just to please our ears and riding enjoyment .

But in saying that, I would love to swap out the can on my red cibbie250 for something else, like a Yoshi or Two bros shorty. It would look better than the stock for sure .

Depends on whatcha wanna spend . I'm thinking about getting rid of the silver exhaust guard for something else like this, or just painting the guard that I have now:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...13557557_n.jpg

< Me

My Ride: 2011 CBR250R. Thank you, Santa, for the early Christmas gift. Being naughty has its benefits !
    My Hubby: RodneyBR

Previous/Current Stablemates:
    06 Yamaha TW200 - First bike memories.
    06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (Hubby's bike...sold)
    04 VFR800 (Hubby's new ride)

I have thought about getting a Hindle can for aesthetic reasons. But these guys made it sound like I was cruising for trouble with the stock Ceebee exhaust.

I pulled into the local plaza this morning on my new CBR250R and started chatting with some supersport riders.
    Well there's your problem. You got a 250.

All kidding aside, an exhaust isn't necessary. Just ride safe and get a Stebel horn.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I'm sure you'll grow out of the 250 so no point right now.

I know some guys with aftermarket exhausts on 600s and cars still don't hear them.
    Cruisers on the other hand are a bit louder on the throttle, but when maintaining speed, the low hums, and high buzz from both bikes still are not loud enough for cagers with their windows up.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I can't hear their exhausting replies over my horn.

Thinking of getting a cbr250ra in the next year or two.
    Are they as much fun as I have heard?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Thinking of getting a cbr250ra in the next year or two.
    Are they as much fun as I have heard?
    I'm just learning to ride, but so far yes - it is rediculous fun.
    It's just so darn nimble. And the low end torque never leaves you wishing for more power.

do you believe that a louder exhaust is *necessary?*
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Stebel Nautilus is a wonderful thing for commuting
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Just be aware of your surroundings and other drivers. A lot of riders spout this "safety" crap when touting their loud aftermarket pipes. It's about sound and looks, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I didn't notice *any* difference when I had my apocalyptic-loud Akrapovic slip-on compared to any stock exhaust.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

I'm just learning to ride, but so far yes - it is rediculous fun.
    It's just so darn nimble. And the low end torque never leaves you wishing for more power.
    I agree with all but the very last comment. It IS a very nimble bike, and imho head and shoulders above the Ninja 250 in torque, ease of use and sitting position for me, but I got a bit bored of the acceleration out of corners quickly, but then I'm 6ft and 260lbs, so your mileage may vary. The FI and abs is spot on! I had to ride around a lot seven times before I had the cojones to grab a mitful of front brake to test the abs. Lol.

Other riders perfer the Ninja, for me the FI, abs, and riding position are preferred. For example, when cornering on the ninja I have to tell myself after adjusting my speed to unlock my elbows, whereas on the Honda, I just pray the rubber will hold.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

i would love to change the exhaust on my bike one day, but not because i want it louder...you may hear an exhaust and love the tone of it, it may improve the behaviour of the bike, the throttle response, it may remove some of the glitches that come from the factory because they are trying to meet emission standards for the bike and therefore these can cause issues. but i would never buy an exhaust to make it louder just because i hope it makes it safer that other folks on the road can hear me. i did it to one of my old cars, sounded awesome, performance felt better, but because it was louder, i didn't like it on long trips...to each their own, i would spend the money, or rather, i shall be, spending my money on a good stebil horn...

Your exhaust has to be more than "apocalyptic-loud" (Love that term) for cagers to hear you. There's 2 problems, first cars are getting better at filtering external noise to the point it's hard to hear emergency siren's even when they are aimed at the car, second is the tunes inside the car drown everything else out. When you can hear his sub-woofer from 3 miles away you can bet he cannot hear a mere bike with open pipes. LOL

That said, there is a sweet music that a well tuned exhaust makes that I just love.
    Last edited by cknowles; 03-20-2012 at 11:06 AM.

How can anyone prove that being louder does not get you noticed? I had a gsxr600 with stock exhaust for 2 years and I can say without a doubt that people DID have a hard time noticing me on the highway, even when their windows were open. I can see their faces in their side mirrors, they never bothered to even check if I was there most of the time. Now I have a loud 2 bros, and anytime I even start to approach a car I see them look several times at me in the mirror. I noticed that change. People keep saying it does not make a difference. I very plainly see a difference, so I support anyone that wants to do it, NOT just for the nice sound it makes, or the performance enhancement, but ALSO because it does IN FACT make others notice, even if its slight.

Yesterday on Wilson Ave. a much older Asian woman did not kill me with her volvo because she heard me next to her (in her blind spot or very nearly with heavy traffic) while a ttc bus driver slammed on his brakes while she was following too closely. Her reaction was to flinch into my lane, but since she heard me, she corrected herself without me doing anything.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

And the truck that merged into me and ran me off the 427 this morning obviously didn't hear me with my loud after market pipe.

A loud pipe or even wearing hi-vis clothing will not save you from the cagers. They will say they didn't know you were there.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
    Your exhaust has to be more than "apocalyptic-loud" (Love that term) for cagers to hear you. There's 2 problems, first cars are getting better at filtering external noise to the point it's hard to hear emergency siren's even when they are aimed at the car, second is the tunes inside the car drown everything else out. When you can hear his sub-woofer from 3 miles away you can bet he cannot hear a mere bike with open pipes.
    Seriously, when I'm in the car with the windows rolled up, tunes blazing, I can't hear a damn thing on the outside (that includes my buddy's Harley when he revs it).

I don't believe there's scientific proof for either school of thought (e.g. how loud pipes behind another vehicle are able to project sound forward enough so that a person inside an enclosed vehicle can hear, etc.), but I may be wrong, so the widely accepted suggestion is to go with what makes YOU feel better psychologically (this can only help, not hinder).
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

I love this kind of discussion. There are multiple answers, and all are right. dr sarcasm is correct go with what makes YOU feel better while riding. If you can relieve any extra stress from the ride, you will be better prepared for whatever sudden move Mr. Public may try to pull on you.