**LOUD** enough for ya?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: **LOUD** enough for ya??

Re: **LOUD** enough for ya??

Loud pipes don't save lives. It's a myth. Orangepeel is right, no one will hear the pipe until you pass them anyway. Before I put a dB Dawg on my bike, my loud pipe just gave me migraines and annoyed anyone riding behind me.

aftermarket exhaust is not necessary, but it is just one more tool that helps you to get more noticed. combine it with safe riding habits and u r golden.
    like ironlung said, it does make a difference.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

I just wanted to add to this, from another quasi-scientific point of view.

Should you have said loud pipes in an area that is conducive to sound waves being reflected back towards all vehicles (think an amphitheater here, like downtown in a city with high rises, etc.), than what is taking place is that some sound is being reflected back towards vehicles, allowing for motorists to potentially become aware of a loud noise (a.k.a. your motorcycle) somewhere around the vehicle (which admittedly, *may* save lives; however, we all assume that a user would react in a logical fashion and check blind spots, etc., which we know doesn't always happen).

In a scenario where there is no ability to reflect sound back towards a road where vehicles travel (e.g. countryside, open highway, etc.), it may be more difficult to prove that someone actually would hear a bike moving up through a blind spot.

Again, I know of no hard proof that either supports or debunks this view, but again, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter given the nature of the "facts". A search on the 'Net yields nothing conclusive, however, I found this article here: http://motorcycle-intelligence.com/d...ve-lives/1119/ has the best advice (echoing several posters in this thread): "Even though scientifically unproven, if riders’ lives have been saved because of loud pipes, or if riders believe they are safer with loud pipes, those are some compelling factors – at least for those individuals."
    Last edited by dr_sarcasm; 03-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I almost hit a patched biker with straight pipes a few years ago.
    He was hiding behind a truck and the echo of his exhaust made it sound as if he was coming from the opposite direction.
    Imagine someone pulling out and looking the wrong way, while you're in a blind spot for them.

Maybe Mythbusters should get involved. I still swear that my horn gets more attention, with the added benefit that I only get it when needed, without constantly distracting some drivers.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post

Should you have said loud pipes in an area that is conducive to sound waves being reflected back towards all vehicles (think an amphitheater here, like downtown in a city with high rises, etc.), than what is taking place is that some sound is being reflected back towards vehicles, allowing for motorists to potentially become aware of a loud noise (a.k.a. your motorcycle) somewhere around the vehicle (which admittedly, *may* save lives; however, we all assume that a user would react in a logical fashion and check blind spots, etc., which we know doesn't always happen).

In a scenario where there is no ability to reflect sound back towards a road where vehicles travel (e.g. countryside, open highway, etc.), it may be more difficult to prove that someone actually would hear a bike moving up through a blind spot.

Again, I know of no hard proof that either supports or debunks this view, but again, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter given the nature of the "facts". A search on the 'Net yields nothing conclusive, however, I found this article here: http://motorcycle-intelligence.com/d...ve-lives/1119/ has the best advice (echoing several posters in this thread): "Even though scientifically unproven, if riders’ lives have been saved because of loud pipes, or if riders believe they are safer with loud pipes, those are some compelling factors – at least for those individuals."
    yeah i agree with that, if your on the highway probably wont help as much cuz its too dam loud esp on the 407 with the rubber on cement contact. On the other hand local roads..I can always hear a bike when one is pulling up from behind of even passing on the opposite lane and it always grabs my attention since i always wanto check out what they're riding lmao. Pretty dam sure a loud exhaust will create more head turning since people might think there's a lambo pulling up which is what you would want (to be seen by others) lmao
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school
    Join upp Group Rides Facebook

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Maybe Mythbusters should get involved.
    Baggsy, I did find this on their forums: http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...&r=65719920501 ;

No clue if they ever went through with it.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Exactly. Logically this makes some good sense, considering also that most of us live in areas that are fairly built up, with lots of buildings, fences, brick houses etc.. all around the roads in and around the city, which is perfect for reflecting sound. For me personally this is good enough, because even if it helps me just once, it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post

I wish they would get involved, because I really want a definitive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Maybe Mythbusters should get involved. I still swear that my horn gets more attention, with the added benefit that I only get it when needed, without constantly distracting some drivers.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."