Hey all, new rider saying hello and asking for advice on bike pricing.

Thread: Hey all, new rider saying hello and asking for advice on bike pricing.

Hey all, new rider saying hello and asking for advice on bike pricing.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic, $6,000 3,600 miles

http://www.bensmotorcycles.ca/new_ve...88&pov=2154121

I know it's sold but I want to get my license before I buy a bike. This seemed like a good deal. I want a 650 {somewhere in that range} and a cruiser. Yamaha {from what I read} builds comfortable bikes with low vibration.

Anything pop up as a red flag to anyone? Any issues with this particular model that are a concern?

Thanks.

Breton

Re: Hey all, new rider saying hello and asking for advice on bike pricing.

for a tiny bit more, you could get a brand new suzuki with a larger engine, FI, liquid cooled and full warranty.

http://www.bramptonpowersports.com/m...240e20f547.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Breton View Post
    2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic, $6,000 3,600 miles

http://www.bensmotorcycles.ca/new_ve...88&pov=2154121

I know it's sold but I want to get my license before I buy a bike. This seemed like a good deal. I want a 650 {somewhere in that range} and a cruiser. Yamaha {from what I read} builds comfortable bikes with low vibration.

Anything pop up as a red flag to anyone? Any issues with this particular model that are a concern?

Thanks.

Breton
    Do not buy the bike just by looking at the pictures and hearing some people's opinions on what's comfortable and what's not. Get your license and either wait for the demo days (they are coming for all major manufacturers) and try some bikes there, or just go to a dealership like Brampton powersports, which sells a few different brands, and try out the bikes there. At least this way you will know what's comfortable and what's not, which bikes are more expensive and why, etc etc.

Thanks for the info guys, very good advice.

Thanks again

That seems a little expensive to me, I'm sure you could find a 650 in that year-range for at least 1K cheaper. They don't hold their resale like HDs do.

From what I've heard they're solid bikes. The only complaint I've heard is that they're somewhat underpowered for its weight (but you hear that complaint about most cruisers). Another comparable bike would be the Honda Shadow 750, which get you a bit more grunt.

Honestly, go a sit on a bunch of different cruisers and see what feels right. If you go with any of the big-name brands (Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha) you can't really go wrong.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa