First Bike was Easy... Choosing the Safe Gear is the hard part - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Bike was Easy... Choosing the Safe Gear is the hard part

Re: First Bike was Easy... Choosing the Safe Gear is the hard part

Quote Originally Posted by MR_ActionTime View Post
    Thanks Skip.

Any riders who wear glasses in particular, can you please give advice for what you do about wearing sunglasses? or do you just get an add-on visor? Are Visors hard to replace/swap? Is it something that can be done on the GO?

To all of those interested in riding together, I’ll definitely be messaging you once I get the bike.

Cheers
    I sadly wear glasses, I have a Arai Vector with a clear visor. I have both prescription sun glasses and "normal" glasses. I simply bring both and store pair I am not using in a hard shell case in the tail of my bike. If I need to change I pull over into a safe area (store, gas station ) and change my glasses. Not the "coolest" looking thing I know, but not a huge issue either. The transition lense visor peaked my interest until I saw the price, I can't justify another helmet/visor purchase at this stage of the game.

Good luck and ride safe !!

I wear glasses as well, I have the Arai Vector 2 and it fits my glasses perfectly. Just bring your glasses with you when trying on helmets.
    And I use a tinted visor in the day and switch to a clear visor at night.

Go to Riders Choice, GP bikes or Royal to try on all different types of helmet and get the one that is most comfortable.
    I found that online prices are usually cheaper, see if they will price match for you. Some times they do!

I prefer a tinted visor instead of sunglasses but if you get caught riding late and the sun goes down it's alot harder to see (I do not reccomend it). Carrying another visor is a pita. Most manufacturers have come up with a quick way to swap visors (30 seconds) and tinted visors available. Take your glasses with you and just try every helmet that you can get your hands on.
    Last edited by dricked; 03-24-2012 at 09:19 AM.

I think the helmets with built-in dark visors are a bit gimmicky, tend to be the cheaper brands/models and weigh more than they need to in order to account for the extra space and the extra visor.

I've always just worn sunglasses inside my helmets (mostly Shoei's but Bell and Shark as well). I've never had a problem fitting them inside the helmet. When it gets dark or rainy just take off sunglasses and you're good. If you want and have space (either in your jacket - some come with inside visor pockets - or in your luggage) carry a spare visor. Shoei visors take about 3 seconds to change out.

Good luck with your choices.
    2010 BMW S1000RR